Need Help! Router causes jerky movements

Thread: Router causes jerky movements

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Router causes jerky movements

When running my DIY CNC Router, everything seems to run OK, until I turn on the Router. Then movements are jerky. For example: Code says G0 X10 Y6, but machine makes several short movements to go there. Position seems correct at end of movement. I was thinking electrical noise. I moved router power to a different circuit and frequency of interruptions went down but are still there .After I started thread, I found that the USB connection was intermittent, but changing cables did nothing. Is my problem more likely Electrical noise, or vibration shaking a connection on the board lose?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Router causes jerky movements

Is the spindle of your machine a 3-phase motor run by a VFD, or a regular hand router? Have you solved the problem of the intermittent USB signal?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Is the spindle of your machine a 3-phase motor run by a VFD, or a regular hand router? Have you solved the problem of the intermittent USB signal?
    It's a compact router. Not found location of intermittent connection. Wiggling the USB cord connection doesn't cause the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1Cafferty View Post
    It's a compact router. Not found location of intermittent connection. Wiggling the USB cord connection doesn't cause the problem.
    With my hearing aids on, I can hear the PC's USB disconnect tone when the movement pauses.

Downloads
    Uploads

It sounds like you've solved your problem, then, or at least isolated it. Just replace whatever your controller is using to connect to the USB port,

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle is a DeWalt compact router. The CNC runs properly through the entire code. When I turn on the router the USB connection cuts out. The light on the interface board goes out and I hear the disconnect tone from the PC. Wiggling the USB cable makes no difference. Any suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1Cafferty View Post
    The spindle is a DeWalt compact router. The CNC runs properly through the entire code. When I turn on the router the USB connection cuts out. The light on the interface board goes out and I hear the disconnect tone from the PC. Wiggling the USB cable makes no difference. Any suggestions?
    Is the USB cable Shielded with ferrites on each end, this can help, for a test you could shield it with some tin foil

Does your router have a Ground or is it an isolated connection with a 2 pin / blade plug

Mactec54