Powerful precise and mobile CNC for steel milling - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Powerful precise and mobile CNC for steel milling

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Powerful precise and mobile CNC for steel milling

Another extrusion built machine milling metal video from a year ago they offer these machines for sale

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha ha ha! Thank You matec54! You are precious!

Downloads
    Uploads

Now that I have a Patent Pending on my design, I can share a little more information. The following video shows the precision that can be achieved using the close box axes design. See the snapshot of the machine design at 3D LINUX SYSTEMS INC..

Most of videos on the web will show how to eliminate backlash using one dial indicator. I have used 2 dial indicators simultaneously to show the high precision no backlash and no "twisting" of the axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

What feature on that machine is worthy of a patent ?

Downloads
    Uploads

U are milling components on rails ?
    Why u put a comparator on rails , and show us that u have a little backlash .
    What is earth u can make an patent on this , all what u do is long time on internet , and if there is so powerful and precise equipment , why the engineers make laping on heavy structure , to make it flat , when they can use some aluminum profile with the best thermal expansion , and make it portable .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andreiir, Your question on "why engineers engineers make laping on heavy structure , to make it flat" should be answered by the engineers that design machines that way. My personal guess is "because it was designed that way for the last 100 years and is still working!"
    The video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPl9q18YuYE shows the vibration measurements on my machine during steel milling. You will find the the answer on why I design it that way when you compare the measurements from my video with the vibration measurements on a heavy structure machine. The sales rep of that heavy machine should be able to provide these measurements for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you want a useful measurement, put a dial gauge on the tool and apply a force to it, measure the deflection, then you'll see why nobody manufactures milling machines from bolted extruded aluminium.

Downloads
    Uploads

That is a very good idea Zorbit!
    I did that in the following video. I just turn the spindle on before applying force to the tool:
    At under 3 thousand of an inch or 0.060mm tolerance, maybe everybody should manufacture milling machines from bolted extruded aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe precise but powerful? I do not get that impression at all.

Last edited by jckstrthmghty; 04-03-2021 at 02:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cristian, have you ever used a proper milling machine ?

Downloads
    Uploads

first off you need to stuff that endmill up in the holder as far as you can. the way you have that tool set on 1/4 endmill is not good. your getting extra deflection from just the tool sticking out that much. not to mention the surface finish is probably not that great as a result of this as well. every little detail on these light machines makes a difference. will they cut steel yes will they match a VMC in material removal rates not even close. but pennies in cost comparison to a 150k VMC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Covid vaccines are ramping up, however cannot not be administer fast enough and now we are in the 3rd shut-down in Ontario Canada. The children are back home for online classes.
    This machine was designed and build for people that need to make the switch from their regular work to working from home, without disruptions. In this case the removal rate is not that important anymore as long as the quality of work stays the same. The machine is "Multipurpose" and it can easily accommodate many other manufacturing processes, just by replacing the processing tool: Laser, plasma, etching, wood carving, 3D printer, etc.
    machinedude I agree with most of your statements. I am more of a machine designer and builder, not much a machinist.

Quote Originally Posted by machinedude View Post
    first off you need to stuff that endmill up in the holder as far as you can. the way you have that tool set on 1/4 endmill is not good. your getting extra deflection from just the tool sticking out that much. not to mention the surface finish is probably not that great as a result of this as well. every little detail on these light machines makes a difference. will they cut steel yes will they match a VMC in material removal rates not even close. but pennies in cost comparison to a 150k VMC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have named this post "Powerful precise and mobile CNC for steel milling". Today I am able to confirm the successful trial of a 3/4" (19.05mm) diameter, 3 flute index carbide. At 5mm cut width it seems to perform better than any end mills I he tried so far. This video quantifies the "powerful" statement "youtu.be/xQEiCTPRw9U"
    The video for "precise" statement is included in the following 2 videos: "youtu.be/B0wCOuC_nGQ" and "youtu.be/xdfABHCaOdE"
    I have search for some time for a machine with similar performance. Because I did not find one, I will call my machine "The 1st steel milling low mass CNC".

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey mate, that first video is extremely impressive, well done!

http://www.barberprecision.com.au
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/365922-cnc.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank You! The best of it is yet to come!
    Hopefully soon if the Covid19 pandemic decides not to "create" another variant!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123