Newbie Kit vs 100% DIY cost difference

Thread: Kit vs 100% DIY cost difference

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Kit vs 100% DIY cost difference

Greetings all. I am insanely busy at the moment, but I need to lay out a basic financial plan for this fall and for that I need to get a decent idea of how much money I need to allow for this tool.

I need a 4' x 8' CNC Router table for cutting MDF up to 3/4, plastics up to 1/4, and possibly aluminum sheet metal. Accuracy of 1/16" should be more than good enough for my work.

I'm looking at the "CNC Router Parts" kit, but it's a bit more expensive than I was hoping I could get away with.

So, how much money would I need to allow for building 100% DIY using one of the sets of plans from this forum vs. buying a kit like the one from CNC Router Parts? I'm just looking for a decent ballpark figure so I know what to put in my budget for this.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Kit vs 100% DIY cost difference

Probably save around 30%, but plan on spending roughly 300 hours for sourcing, design, and assembly.

Price can vary considerably depending on the components you choose.

Their Plug and Play spindle package is $1700, but you can buy a cheap Chinese spindle and VFD for about $350. VFD cable will cost about $100, but your saving 70%

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are insanely busy you don't have time to DIY.

If the process of designing and building a CNC machine is enjoyable to you that is factor. It is for me. I'm slowly designing a decent size metal mill. I don't know what I'll make with it. That's not the point for me, CNC is my hobby.

If you just want a CNC working and making parts buy the Avid (previously CNC Router Parts) kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't DIY, That is a job (or hobby) in, and of, itself. Just buy the Avid Prop kit and assemble it. You will save money in the end.

Avid CNCPro4824, Warp ESS, Nema 23 steppers, Delta VFD, 2.2kW spindle
    Hypertherm Powermax 45XP with TMC3in1 THC

Downloads
    Uploads

There are different levels of DIY. I'm in the process or getting a "large" CNC router so am a bit ahead of you in the process. I've pretty much settled on the Avid PRO4848. I see 3 distinct and separable pieces - mechanical assembly (rails, frame, ...), electronics/motors and spindle. Avid will supply all or part of those. For me, doing the mechanical part is a huge time sink with far too many degrees of freedom for even a skilled hobbyist. I will just buy that from Avid. I agree with the Chinese spindle advice. For the Avid price you can buy at least 3 ebay/amazon Chinese spindles/VFDs (4 if you shop around). The plug and play electronics kit is in the middle - if you have an understanding of the electronics and stepper motors needed, it's quite doable. I will be building my own and will probably save about 40% off the Avid price. If electronics is a complete mystery to you - buy the package.

By the way, be sure to cost out tooling and other incidentals, they add up pretty quickly. I have a lot more invested in router bits than I ever thought possible.