ARRRRG!!!! Negative travel consistently 1/2 of entered value on all axes

Thread: ARRRRG!!!! Negative travel consistently 1/2 of entered value on all axes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default ARRRRG!!!! Negative travel consistently 1/2 of entered value on all axes

No matter what I settings I change: X-,Y- & Z- all consistently travel 1/2 the X+,Y+ & Z+ travel for the value entered (Jog, G0,G1).

Has anybody seen this problem before?

Not finding anything anywhere that comes near this. As much as I possible can I have eliminated the steppers and drivers as the culprits by swapping in known good spares. The steppers are wired in accordance with the data sheet. The Y steppers (one on each side) are properly wired for one to be counter the rotation of the other.

The only thing I have not done is changed the controller or the software. Given that the fault is consistent across all the axes, it has to be a controller/software problem, right? Didn't think about trying something other than UGS until I got home and the router is an hour away.

Anyone seen anything like this? Any chance it could be anything other than the controller or the UGS software?

Machine info:
    Woodpecker 3.4 Controller
    GRBL 1.1
    UGS platform for the interface/sender

10A 36VDC power supply (in a separate enclosure from the controller/drivers)
    DM542 stepper drivers
    23HS30-3004s NEMA 23 Steppers
    Y axis: Dual counter-rotating steppers. Belt drive
    X axis: Lead screw, single stepper
    Z axis: Lead screw, single stepper
    No limits/hard stops (yet)

Total travel: Y= 30"/762mm, X=120"3048mm, Z=5"/127mm

ANyhelp or advice is apprecieated

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ARRRRG!!!! Negative travel consistently 1/2 of entered value on all axes

Are you saying that when they move in the negative direction they go half as far as when you command the same move in the positive direction? I've never heard of that one...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ARRRRG!!!! Negative travel consistently 1/2 of entered value on all axes

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Are you saying that when they move in the negative direction they go half as far as when you command the same move in the positive direction? I've never heard of that one...
    Yes! Thanks for simplifying that for me. Has me scratching my head. In my opinion, it has to be a controller or software bug for all three axis to present the exact same issue.

I was hoping someone out there had a similar problem just to make me feel a little more comfortable with that diagnosis.