Newbie Dust Shoe Questions

Thread: Dust Shoe Questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dust Shoe Questions

My DIY CNC router is fired up, spoil-board down and surfaced, and what that has taught me is I REALLY NEED A DUST SHOE !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7yuYuUmyXu6dX4988

1) I notice a lot of designs are long oval shape and not simply round. Isn't that an issue coming to the edge of the spoil board?

2) It seems most shoes are attached to the Z axis. Some are fixed to the X axis and move with the router w/o vertical motion. It seems that being fixed to the Z axis will change the brush pressure as the DOC increases. Any issues with this? What are the pros and cons of the two?

My immediate need is to mill flat stock mostly plywood so I'm leaning towards a fixed design where the bit retracts through a hole, but I'm open to suggestions.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dust Shoe Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    1) I notice a lot of designs are long oval shape and not simply round. Isn't that an issue coming to the edge of the spoil board?
    They are oval to provide a place to mount the hose. A round shoe would be larger and still not solve the problem if you're mounting the hose in the usual manner.
    2) It seems most shoes are attached to the Z axis. Some are fixed to the X axis and move with the router w/o vertical motion. It seems that being fixed to the Z axis will change the brush pressure as the DOC increases. Any issues with this? What are the pros and cons of the two?
    I sometimes need to clear obstacles so a fixed-height shoe wouldn't be a good solution. With some types of work (like small thick material) my brush is doing more dust-containment than dust-extraction For sheet goods having consistent brush contact may have advantages.

My immediate need is to mill flat stock mostly plywood so I'm leaning towards a fixed design where the bit retracts through a hole, but I'm open to suggestions.
    Ideal situation is one quickly detachable system of each type ? I don't any examples of that to offer. The video under "Similar Threads" in your post is interesting.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine looks like this:

Dust Shoe Questions-z07_1253-jpg

Dust Shoe Questions-z07_1251-jpg

Nothing fancy, a lot of hot glue, a piece of rubber pipe adding some flexibility, a 3D printed vacuum hose adapter which easily can be removed from the shoe and the whole thing fixed to the spindle holder in a way which makes it possible to adjust the height or remove it completely. I do not mill anything very deep, and up to 10 - 20 mm it works well. Of course, I can't push the brush into the material from the start and must think about the final depth before it is too late, but the way mine is made, makes it possible to even adjust the height of it "on the fly" in case of emergency. Anyway, as opposed to fixed height types, mine moves up and down with the spindle, which I prefer more than the fixed height type, which are not attached to the Z axis. No dust shoe is perfect, all have some disadvantages, but better to have one which is ugly and not perfect than not to have one at all or having one which is "work in progress" forever. I made mine several years ago when I built my first machine, at that time considered that this is only temporaty, will make a nicer one later, but the only change I made to my original solution was that I changed the vacuum hose to a better one, and 3D printed a hose adapter. Works otherwise well, so I figure I will use this as long as it works.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    I made mine several years ago when I built my first machine, at that time considered that this is only temporaty, will make a nicer one later, but the only change I made to my original solution was that I changed the vacuum hose to a better one, and 3D printed a hose adapter. Works otherwise well, so I figure I will use this as long as it works.
    Speaking of hoses. What size hose are you using now? That one in the picture looks small, does it step up in size? Are you using some sort of shop vac or a real dust collection system?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    Speaking of hoses. What size hose are you using now? That one in the picture looks small, does it step up in size? Are you using some sort of shop vac or a real dust collection system?
    It's a Bosch 1610793002 hose, only 19 mm and is connected to a normal indoor vacuum cleaner via an adapter I printed, but I use the same type on other machines also, connected to a shop vac. It is light and very flexible, and in my opinion, suitable in applications where no bigger pieces will need to pass through and where it must be carried by a machine (like a CNC) or by hand, like many power tools. Originally I used a dishwasher hose, as you can see in this video:

But after seeing that it worked fine for several years for the type of work I am doing, I "upgraded" because I found that the dishwasher hose was a bit stiff for my taste. The sort of chip I am making is mostly plastic and PCB dust, occasionally aluminium chips and for that work, this hose is all I need. It would manage wood also of course, but I don't work with wood in the CNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going with a 2-1/4" (57mm) vac hose to my shop vac ~20ft long.

My table has a 4x4ft. stroke. Have any advice for suspending the hose overhead so it doesn't tug on the shoe or smack the gantry and cable carrier?

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I gave you the wrong diameter, it is actually 27mm, not 19. Anyway, I made an adapter for my vac hose. I an using the same 27 mm hose for other machines also, together with my shop vac. Works very well in my opinion, and is light so that's good for hand held machines.