Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?

Thread: Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?

Just want to throw a simple question out to the hive mind: I'm looking for an 8" / 200mm stroke Z axis assembly with linear rails and 1605 or 1610 ballscrew. This seems like a really typical size and spec for z-axis but my google fu is letting me down. Anyone know of a decent option? I found the Avid Z assembly but it's $650 and is based on an extrusion not a solid plate. Would prefer a plate for the rigidity. And of course if it's closer to $300-$400 that would be better for my budget

Of course I could build one, but if it can be avoided I'd prefer to use my buddy-with-a-bridgeport favors for other areas of the machine.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?

It sounds like an automation-quality linear actuator would work; I've used them for Z axes before. You can often find them used or surplus with motors on them nobody can figure out. They often have dual high-quality rails and ball screws inside, mounted in a sturdy extrusion. Look for ones that have precision ball screws inside; some are made as window openers with inferior screws; you also want a relatively fine pitch. Some have sliding-tape barriers to keep chips out. I've generally stripped off the motors and adapted others I understood better. Ebay might be a good source; here's one I just found, for example, (but I don't specifically recommend this particular seller or product):https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-ball...sAAOSwffhdZoL4

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?

Definitely look on ebay for a linear actuator or linear slide.
    I got mine from ebay and for aluminum its solid as.
    15mm nsk rails, 12mm nsk ground ball screw. The ally plate is machined 50mm block.
    Even has remote grease ports. Think i payed about 300us for it.
    Here's a pic.

Good pre-made Z axis assembly with linear rails?-20170126_184109-jpg