Just In Moving from Cambam to Fusion 360 - Alloy - Interesting Results

Thread: Moving from Cambam to Fusion 360 - Alloy - Interesting Results

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Moving from Cambam to Fusion 360 - Alloy - Interesting Results

My machine (CNC Router) is the standard DIY setup with a 2.2kw spindle, quite a large table at 2000 x 1260mm. The gantry is run with 2 closed loop steppers and is quite heavy at approx 45kg. I have always been careful with alloy. Ya know what I mean?? Cambam is a gentle program with the defaults being quite easy on us.

Needing to raise the level of machining from timber for the last 6 or so years, (with a very limited amount of alloy) I downloaded Fusion 360 free version. It took about 3 days to learn the software. I decided to machine out a small alloy block. with a pocket inside. And just ran the facing, then adaptive pocketing, using Fusion 360s internal feeds and speeds. One thing I did need to change, was bring the spindle speed up for the 6mm cutter from 5000RPM to 12000 which is minimal for my spindle so the torque doesn't drop off.

FAR OUT!!! It was AGGRESSIVE! I have NEVER, seen my router work like that before. Alloy chips spitting all over me, on the facing operation, the machine was making that brrmmm brmmm noise as it ran back and forth over the top of the workpiece. Kind of like on youtube, ya know? The moves we all watch and go "ooh it would be cool if my machine did that" haha That bit was cooool....

Second op was the adaptive pocket. That was another wah-hoo! Although I will say it was a lot too aggressive.... The tool nice and slow dropped into the work-piece in a circular motion. And then, brrp brrp brrp started smashing out chips at 1500mmMin! Was still cool. But not too cool on my table, a lot of chatter. ALOT! And worse chatter on the outside when it climb milled the outer profile. I think I will need to beef up my table which is 32mm MDF screwed down onto a timber frame.

Anyways - I am going to definitely play around with my speeds and feeds to go a bit easier on my machine. I thought I would attach some pics of the work, and hey, I need to make my machine more rigid, the hold device more rigid. And change my feeds and speeds. I might try a 1 flute cutter too instead of the 2 I have here. Any other ideas on what I have done wrong?