Stepper Motor running free

Thread: Stepper Motor running free

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Motor running free

Hi all,

Im hoping someone can help me. I have just built up a DIY CNC router but am having issues when it comes to the stepper motors. When i power up the units then some of the motor lock up while other are able to move by hand. Also I have found that when I start cutting the vibrations when cutting are making my z axis move into the job. I have tried to look up information but am getting so confused as I have little experience in this field.

I want to find out is there a setting i can do to make sure that when a stepper motor is not being used it will stay locked, be these via a setting in GRBL or putting more amp to the stepper. Like i said before I have little experience in this and if someone could explain it in dummy form that would be great.

Much appreciated.

Derek

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper Motor running free

i would check all the drive connections to make sure nothing worked it's way loose if it's a fresh build. once the motors have power they should lock on their own and hold in place.

if your motors can handle more voltage you will get more out of them but you have to check and see what they are rated for and not hook up a larger power supply to a motor that can not handle it. they will usually run being under powered just not well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are all your steppers enabled in the software?

BryggaCNC.com

Downloads
    Uploads

What motor drivers are you using? And what motors? Can you give us a picture of your machine?

Thanks
    Steve
    Trapped on a small Caribbean island