Embarrassing Noob Question...

Thread: Embarrassing Noob Question...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Embarrassing Noob Question...

The embarrassing part is that I bought Solsylva plans about 7 years ago and never finished the machine! I was almost done, but build quality with wood was crappy...but anyway. I'm starting again.

I originally bought the "3 axis Hobby CNC Pro" - at least that's what I think it was called...3 heavy Nema 23 motors with parts to build breakout board. I built the board years ago, and it worked after testing it (surprising!). But now that I'm going to try to build the machine again, I notice that the board uses a parallel port!! I don't have a computer with a parallel port and I'm not going to buy one. I imagine I need to buy a new board? Or could I somehow modify this one? Can anyone help direct me to what options I have? I'm open to learning anything, although obviously my preference is to get up and running asap. Any suggestions please??

LR in Boston

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Embarrassing Noob Question...

You could run it off an Arduino using a grbl shield like this one: https://www.tindie.com/products/Ron/...nc-shield-kit/.

I used one a few years ago to help a friend build a machine from older parts, I even did a short video of it:

There are a few more options for front end to grbl now, I originally tired bCNC and recently tried candle which seems less complicated than bCNC if that's what you are looking for.

Downloads
    Uploads

Use a motion controller like the UC100.
    CNCdrive - motion controls

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much. I know nothing about Arduino...guess I'm going to learn!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats one way to go or you could just buy a parallel port card to fit in a computer that doesn't have one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Thats one way to go or you could just buy a parallel port card to fit in a computer that doesn't have one.
    If using Mach3, that requires a 32 bit OS, Windows 7 or older.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Since you've already got all the running gear , a dell optiplex can be had on ebay for 20-30 dollars . That would be the cheapest solution .
    You could go with something like a uc100 , but if your going to go that route then you'd be better off going with the ethernet boards rather than the usb which are prone to losing connection in the middle of a run

Downloads
    Uploads

If grumpygeek's suggestion works for you it's up and running for ~$20 using a computer of your choice.
    Worst case you're out a bit of money and time.
    Be aware GRBL isn't as feature rich as the other options but it's a rock solid control.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking into this a bit deeper 2 problems appear.
    1) that shield shows 'out of stock'
    2) It's a kit so soldering skills are assumed

This doesn't rule out GRBL but a different DB25 shield is needed or else a less tidy solution.

Downloads
    Uploads

Metalmayhem - I've been using a UC100 USB for over 3 years on a laptop (log says +700hrs) and it has never lost connection during a run? I don't think it's the UC100. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

My friend had nothing but trouble with a UC100 (maybe he didn't know how to set it up right). He switched to an ethernet Smooth Stepper. No problems and faster speeds.

A PCI or PCI-e parallel port card can be had for $15-$20 from e-bay. They claim to work with windows 10 and are far better than USB to parallel adapters.

There's also the MESA 5125 or 6125 that are made for motion control, but are more $

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Metalmayhem - I've been using a UC100 USB for over 3 years on a laptop (log says +700hrs) and it has never lost connection during a run? I don't think it's the UC100. Peter

I know my machines well , it was the boards
    I've had 4 of them running . My mills at the time were running roughly 60hrs per week and I could have weeks without a broken connection or multiple broken connections within hours . After a lot of scrap parts are wasted time I turfed the uc100's from all my mills and went back to running straight through the pp and all was fine again . I've tried replacing the cables with high quality cables , and though I think they may have helped some they still acted up under mach .

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi -The UC100 is a plug and play device. If somethings not working its to do with something else not the UC100. I am using UCCNC so can't comment on the UC100 if using other bits. Using UCCNC and the UC100 was one of the easiest bits of the CNC to do...Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

there are a lot of cases of this and the problems I had were not unique . 4 mills had problems with broken connections . I tried uccnc but I didn't like it . the uc100 goes back a long way in comparison to uccnc software and was designed to be used with mach . I tried a lot to make them reliable on my machines but they found their way to the garbage , problem solved

Downloads
    Uploads

I played with a bunch of different options. In the end I went with a smooth stepper. Very happy I did. It has been rock solid, and the support I got during set up was outstanding. A pricier option, but it seems like once you get the CNC itch, that this probably won't be your last machine, and you can move it to your next one.

It's the cheap man that spends the most!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lrubin28 View Post
    ........I originally bought the "3 axis Hobby CNC Pro".......... But now that I'm going to try to build the machine again, I notice that the board uses a parallel port!! I don't have a computer with a parallel port and I'm not going to buy one.
    I just wanted to point out that the aspect of this driver using a "parallel port" is irrelevant to any need for a computer with a parallel port.

The HobbyCNC driver simply uses a DB25 connector to allow connection to ANY typical step / dir signals to it, from any controller capable of doing such.

It just seemed like no one pointed this out.

Chris L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by datac View Post
    The HobbyCNC driver simply uses a DB25 connector to allow connection to ANY typical step / dir signals to it, from any controller capable of doing such.
    It just seemed like no one pointed this out.
    grumpygeek's suggestion is essentially a db25 breakout that eliminates a bunch of wires for Arduino Uno hook-up.
    Not stated directly but implied somewhere between the lines.
    btw: I'm not pushing the GRBL solution, my personal preference would be the PP card or 'found' computer with DB25 or LPT header (genuine cheapskate here)

Embarrassing Noob Question...-db25_breakout_mf-jpg