Need Help! 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse

Thread: 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse

Hello, I am in the final stages of upgrading my CNC router to a Chinese spindle (GDZ80X73-2.2) with Huanyang VFD (HY02D223B). I wired everything while I was waiting for my double shileded 16/4 cable to arrive in the mail. I set all the PDxxx's to the appropriate values for my spindle (400Hz, 220v, 6A...). I was able to set up Mach3 to turn on the VFD in FORward and REVerse and control its speed through PWM using the 0-10v output of my BOB. Problem is, when I got my cable and connected it to the spindle (grounding the shield at both ends) I was able to run the spindle from the minimum speed to the maximum speed I set (140Hz-400Hz) in the FORWARD direction ONLY. As soon I as try to REVERSE the frequency on the VFD struggles to increase and I see it flash an overcurrent error. If I let it run a few seconds it finally stops and gives me the E.oA.A error which I think means overcurrent at acceleration. The spindle moves freely in either direction if turned by hand and I have measured the resistance across the phases and everything seems ok. The spindle was running CCW so I changed 2 of the phase connections to get it to spin CW. Now it spins CW but I can't get it to reverse without getting the same errors. I am assuming this is a problem with the VFD maybe its deffective or maybe there is a setting that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse

Quote Originally Posted by dub_cnc View Post
    Hello, I am in the final stages of upgrading my CNC router to a Chinese spindle (GDZ80X73-2.2) with Huanyang VFD (HY02D223B). I wired everything while I was waiting for my double shileded 16/4 cable to arrive in the mail. I set all the PDxxx's to the appropriate values for my spindle (400Hz, 220v, 6A...). I was able to set up Mach3 to turn on the VFD in FORward and REVerse and control its speed through PWM using the 0-10v output of my BOB. Problem is, when I got my cable and connected it to the spindle (grounding the shield at both ends) I was able to run the spindle from the minimum speed to the maximum speed I set (140Hz-400Hz) in the FORWARD direction ONLY. As soon I as try to REVERSE the frequency on the VFD struggles to increase and I see it flash an overcurrent error. If I let it run a few seconds it finally stops and gives me the E.oA.A error which I think means overcurrent at acceleration. The spindle moves freely in either direction if turned by hand and I have measured the resistance across the phases and everything seems ok. The spindle was running CCW so I changed 2 of the phase connections to get it to spin CW. Now it spins CW but I can't get it to reverse without getting the same errors. I am assuming this is a problem with the VFD maybe its deffective or maybe there is a setting that I am missing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If you have a 2.2Kw spindle then your Amp setting would be to low, 8.5 to 9 Amps is the norm for a 2.2Kw 220v spindle

I would say you have some Parameter not set correct, you have no need to be running this spindle in reverse for normal use

There is a Parameter that blocks Reverse operation and this should be set, It also could be that your wiring is incorrect for the spindle as well

The normal wiring for these spindles is

Pin 1=U
    Pin 2=V
    Pin 3=W
    Pin 4= Ground have you checked that the 4th pin is Ground to the spindle body if it is not you need to correct this as well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse

Hi mac thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you have a 2.2Kw spindle then your Amp setting would be to low, 8.5 to 9 Amps is the norm for a 2.2Kw 220v spindle
    That's what I was thinking too at first but my spindle says 6 amps on it and I found the same info online.

I would say you have some Parameter not set correct, you have no need to be running this spindle in reverse for normal use
    PD023 = 1 (0 is reverse rotation disabled)

There is a Parameter that blocks Reverse operation and this should be set, It also could be that your wiring is incorrect for the spindle as well

The normal wiring for these spindles is

Pin 1=U
    Pin 2=V
    Pin 3=W
    Pin 4= Ground have you checked that the 4th pin is Ground to the spindle body if it is not you need to correct this as well
    I followed the wires to the VFD and made sure the pin #s and U,V,W matched and I got CCW rotation. That's when I swapped 2 of them to get it to go CW. Only problem now is that there is an intermittent screeching going on something like the bearings I guess but it comes and goes.

If all else fails I'll give up trying to run it in both directions... I just thought if it's capable of doing it, I want it set up

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.2 Kw Spindle/Huanyang VFD spins in one direction only/over current in reverse-img_20200223_111117-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You may also need to program an input to accept the reverse direction signal. (Depends on the VFD model).
    In some VFDs you can select that input screw terminal in the VFD with programming a parameter.
    Also verify (measure) the voltage on the VFD for/rev terminal to make sure that your controller produces that signal.
    Program M3 measure voltage and then M4 and measure voltage. It should be high and low or vica versa.

If the VFD goes into overcurrent then try to increase the spin-up (acceleration) time, that should be also a parameter in the VFD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mac thanks for your help.

That's what I was thinking too at first but my spindle says 6 amps on it and I found the same info online.

PD023 = 1 (0 is reverse rotation disabled)

I followed the wires to the VFD and made sure the pin #s and U,V,W matched and I got CCW rotation. That's when I swapped 2 of them to get it to go CW. Only problem now is that there is an intermittent screeching going on something like the bearings I guess but it comes and goes.

If all else fails I'll give up trying to run it in both directions... I just thought if it's capable of doing it, I want it set up
    I think they have it labeled as the 380v spindle which would be 6A this is a common problem, just do the math and you will see what the amps should be for a 2.2Kw @ 220v

It is quite common to have to change 2 of the wires to get it to rotate the correct way good quality VFD Drives you can change the Rotation without changing the wires

Try swopping those 2 wires back as they where, and swap the other wire it should not make any difference but you never know with these spindles

The noise sounds like the bearings are skidding run at minimum speed for a while and see if the grease disperses better

Do you have 2 Relays setup for the FWD and REV

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You may also need to program an input to accept the reverse direction signal. (Depends on the VFD model).
    In some VFDs you can select that input screw terminal in the VFD with programming a parameter.
    Also verify (measure) the voltage on the VFD for/rev terminal to make sure that your controller produces that signal.
    Program M3 measure voltage and then M4 and measure voltage. It should be high and low or vica versa.

If the VFD goes into overcurrent then try to increase the spin-up (acceleration) time, that should be also a parameter in the VFD.
    The voltage 0-10v has nothing to do with how the VFD Drive turns on in his case he will be using a Relay to turn the spindle On / Off FWD / REV

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The voltage 0-10v has nothing to do with how the VFD Drive turns on in his case he will be using a Relay to turn the spindle On / Off FWD / REV
    I have never said that the 0-10V has anything to do with the drive turns. So I have no idea what you talking about.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I have 2 relays set up. For now I have disabled the reverse direction in the VFD (PD023). I will try setting the current higher and trying again tomorrow. I'll let you know if this helps. Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have never said that the 0-10V has anything to do with the drive turns. So I have no idea what you talking about.
    Then what are you talking about in your post

Did you not Post this ( Program M3 measure voltage and then M4 and measure voltage.)

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you not Post this ( Program M3 measure voltage and then M4 and measure voltage.)
    Measure voltage on the dir signal directly on the VFDinput terminal to make sure it gets the signal. To make sure that the signal is not missing, because if it does then whatever you will do it will not change direction.

Downloads
    Uploads

OlfCNC I had measured the output voltage at the BOB to the VFD's input signals. Everything was good there. I took Mach3 and the BOB out of the equation and went back into manual control from the VFD before I posted here. When I run the VFD in forward mode everything is fine. When I stop the spindle and press the REV button and then press RUN the spindle struggles to turn and then I get the error message.

Downloads
    Uploads

OlfCNC I had measured the output voltage at the BOB to the VFD's input signals. Everything was good there. I took Mach3 and the BOB out of the equation and went back into manual control from the VFD before I posted here. When I run the VFD in forward mode everything is fine. When I stop the spindle and press the REV button and then press RUN the spindle struggles to turn and then I get the error message.
    try disconnecting the motor and connect 3, 120v lightbulbs connected in wye and see if you get medium brightness at start up and full brightness at 400hz (220volts will push 140volts across each bulb which is ok for short time)

if you get substantially brighter bulbs when starting up in reverse then the vfd is defective and/or has some hidden parameter by which it could change the volts/hz or the boost volts for each direction independently.. which i've never seen a vfd that can do that.

a resistor and a capacitor (maybe 1K ohm, and .1uf) can be used as an rc filter to measure the voltage with a 1Mohm digital volt meter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Measure voltage on the dir signal directly on the VFDinput terminal to make sure it gets the signal. To make sure that the signal is not missing, because if it does then whatever you will do it will not change direction.
    Not correct on this VFD Drive when you switch a Relay on there is no voltage at the output of the relay to switch the VFD Drive On/ Off or to change the Direction there is no voltage in the switching if there is he has a problem

I think you are confused with the PWM signal with is what changes the speed of the spindle this has nothing to do with how the spindle motor will start M3 M4 and M5

So if he has a Voltage at the VFD Drive Terminals for FWD / REV then he has a problem if so this will damage the VFD Drive that he has

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    try disconnecting the motor and connect 3, 120v lightbulbs connected in wye and see if you get medium brightness at start up and full brightness at 400hz (220volts will push 140volts across each bulb which is ok for short time)

if you get substantially brighter bulbs when starting up in reverse then the vfd is defective and/or has some hidden parameter by which it could change the volts/hz or the boost volts for each direction independently.. which i've never seen a vfd that can do that.
    Another one of your ridiculous postings

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon_Joh View Post
    a resistor and a capacitor (maybe 1K ohm, and .1uf) can be used as an rc filter to measure the voltage with a 1Mohm digital volt meter.
    This is posable but you have to get it right You need a low Pass Filter to protect the meter and for it to measure the voltage correctly here is a article about low pass filters and Rc filters

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws.../filter_2.html

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Not correct on this VFD Drive when you switch a Relay on there is no voltage at the output of the relay to switch the VFD Drive On/ Off or to change the Direction there is no voltage in the switching if there is he has a problem

I think you are confused with the PWM signal with is what changes the speed of the spindle this has nothing to do with how the spindle motor will start M3 M4 and M5

So if he has a Voltage at the VFD Drive Terminals for FWD / REV then he has a problem if so this will damage the VFD Drive that he has
    Usually the inputs are active low and pulled up to the internal 10V, 12V or 24V inside the VFD, so he can measure voltage between the Digital Ground and the input when the relay is open (off) or when it is not even connected.
    When he switches the relay then he should measure 0Volts as he should switch the 0Volts to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Usually the inputs are active low and pulled up to the internal 10V, 12V or 24V inside the VFD, so he can measure voltage between the Digital Ground and the input when the relay is open (off) or when it is not even connected.
    When he switches the relay then he should measure 0Volts as he should switch the 0Volts to it.
    You are completely confused,

Mactec54

Hi @dub_cnc for what is worth I had the same issue.
    What fixed it was changing PD006 to a larger value.

Originally I had it on 15. Increasing to 20 did the trick and now my spindle runs on either direction. Worth noting is that on reverse it does requiere more current. For example, just testing a forward run on 9000rpm (mine is water cooled so it's OK) it takes 2.8Amps, but it needs 3.4Amps to run the same speed in reverse.