New Machine Build Homemade fixed gantry build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade fixed gantry build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade fixed gantry build

More parts arrived . Control box from CNC4PC . Looks good ! I'm getting ahead of the metal work . Cant wait to get the welding and stress relief done .
    Homemade fixed gantry build-img_7964-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7965-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7966-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7967-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7968-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7970-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the idea for the Z so far . Carriage started as a 2.5" thick block of 6061 . The ribs will get tapered to the cutting end . Top will get a plate to tie it together and mount the Z servo .

Dave
    Homemade fixed gantry build-img_7992-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7990-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7988-jpgHomemade fixed gantry build-img_7986-jpg

It's been a while from last post... any progress ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Have not done much lately . trying to not spend extra with all the covid stuff going on .

Quote Originally Posted by dgowland View Post
    Have not done much lately . trying to not spend extra with all the covid stuff going on .
    Are you installing all the recommended electronics for the DMM drives? That includes: Mains filter, line reactor and EMI filters. Nice build!

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dgowland View Post
    This is the idea for the Z so far . Carriage started as a 2.5" thick block of 6061 . The ribs will get tapered to the cutting end . Top will get a plate to tie it together and mount the Z servo .

Dave
    Homemade fixed gantry build-img_7992-jpg
    So, have you thought how you are going to tighten the bolts holding the X axis cars after the X rails are mounted on the gantry?
    I was thinking about it, and normally you would install the rails first so that you can properly align them and then slide the cars on individually and after that mount your Z axis to the cars. It looks like your cars are not threaded and will have to be bolted to the aluminum plate.

I may not understand, just thinking out loud.

Bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    So, have you thought how you are going to tighten the bolts holding the X axis cars after the X rails are mounted on the gantry?
    I was thinking about it, and normally you would install the rails first so that you can properly align them and then slide the cars on individually and after that mount your Z axis to the cars. It looks like your cars are not threaded and will have to be bolted to the aluminum plate.

I may not understand, just thinking out loud.

Bob
    These Linear Bearing Blocks can be fastened just as he has them sitting they can fasten from the top down or any way your design needs for them to be fastened

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Are those SYK motor mounts?

I can see you've welded some flat bar where you will mount your rails. I did a similar thing, so I know that they probably aren't very flat right now. It looks like you will weld them onto your gantry as well? What's your plan to machine those?

Diablo makes great blades. I used to use the Diablo Non-Ferrous blades quite a bit. I may have to try the ferrous one for myself. Cutting big steel with an angle grinder is alot of work, and band saws never seem to cut square. I'm amazed that you can cut half inch steel with a skill saw.

Is it expensive to get something like this heat treated?

Nice work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NIC 77 View Post
    Are those SYK motor mounts?

I can see you've welded some flat bar where you will mount your rails. I did a similar thing, so I know that they probably aren't very flat right now. It looks like you will weld them onto your gantry as well? What's your plan to machine those?

Diablo makes great blades. I used to use the Diablo Non-Ferrous blades quite a bit. I may have to try the ferrous one for myself. Cutting big steel with an angle grinder is alot of work, and band saws never seem to cut square. I'm amazed that you can cut half inch steel with a skill saw.

Is it expensive to get something like this heat treated?

Nice work.
    The stress relieving is not expensive I had 2 plates done 2 weeks ago they where 1" x 8" x 36" cost $12 for the 2 plates the machining can be from $200 to $600 depending on how and what you get done

Mactec54

Hi!
    Still looking at this thread but no new updates so i'm calling You out @mactec54
    How's Your machine ? Did You make any chips on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxikas View Post
    so i'm calling You out @mactec54
    I mean @dgowland ofc.

It seems like dgowland was not here since 04-29-2021 08:51 AM (last activity in profile).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12