Build Thread Designing a new router called Brevis-HD - Page 23

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Hi Peter,
    YaG is looking fantastic. I really like the raised walls of the base. Do the walls being raised that way help with side to side rigidity of the gantry, or are they mainly to help contain dust?
    Wonderful work,
    Jayne

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne - The walls of a high rail design are to increase stiffness. Dust control is a bonus. Columns can be wobbly if underdone.. Plus the high rail gets the drives and rails out of the grim...There are many high rail designs in metal tube that have open trussed sides. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-yag-jpg  
    Last edited by peteeng; 09-13-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

WOO HOO - A REALLY BIG red letter day. I turned on the spindle and it works!! no smoke. I jogged the motors and they work, no smoke! Now I have to add a 24V connection to the Z brake so I can run it. Next step is to put the couplings on and get it to move. Last tasks are to figure out the new axes calibration, tidy the wiring and putty the saddle. Very close to sawdust! Very excited... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-spindle-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-spindle-power-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Eni Meni Mine Mo - I'll have to get some professional numbering rings for my wiring.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-eni-meni-mini-mo-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Wooohoooo! Great news Peter! It's always desirable to keep the smoke INSIDE the wires, glad to hear none escaped.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jayne - Last build I let the smoke out twice was a bummer, then I tried a 5 axis controller for YaG and it cooked also so I have redeemed my electrical faculties for the moment... I've added the brake circuit and all good. Next is to instal the couplings and get it to move... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening all and sundry - The good, the bad and the ugly,,,, Summary Good - X & Y axis move smoothly and now need calibrating, Bad I found I've left a circlip off the Z axis screw so I have to pull it down and install before I couple the Z axis. Don't want the bearing to fall out do we! and lastly the Ugly - I used four olfa blades to adjust the height of the X axis nut plate. I mentally noted at the time to be careful in that area. They were brand new out of the box... So today I stuck my hand in there to turn the screw and sliced my little finger badly. Didn't even feel it untiI pulled it out... very sharp... so YaG has spilt its first blood. Hopefully the last....

Maybe I should have turned the blade the other way... Hmmm long story - I snugged up the screws and checked things on the X and Y axis and was turning the screws by hand and decided that was a bit lame so got out the computer and plugged it in. All went smoothly. I did a big circle and rectangle under program control, needed to turn down the accel and velocities compared to Brevis 2 settings. But tomorrow will deal with the razors and pull down the Z... tomorrow maybe sawdust day.. Peter

anyone have suggestion for gripping the ballscrew so the lock nut can be done up tight?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-culprit-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-yag-600-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

OMG Peter! It made my skin crawl thinking about being badly cut by a super sharp new blade. I noticed the blades in your earlier post photo and assumed you put them thee for the photo to show the gap you were attempting to fill with the epoxy putty shim. Bet you won't be leaving blades sitting in harms way again. Just like it is undesirable to let smoke out of wires, it is also very undesirable to let blood out. Hope you haven't done too much damage to yourself.

The machine looks amazing. Please post a sawdust making video when it starts flying.

Jayne

Downloads
    Uploads

Queen Boadecia would be proud of YaG

Downloads
    Uploads

Where is the locknut? Which end?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Evening all and sundry - The good, the bad and the ugly,,,, Summary Good - X & Y axis move smoothly and now need calibrating, Bad I found I've left a circlip off the Z axis screw so I have to pull it down and install before I couple the Z axis. Don't want the bearing to fall out do we! and lastly the Ugly - I used four olfa blades to adjust the height of the X axis nut plate. I mentally noted at the time to be careful in that area. They were brand new out of the box... So today I stuck my hand in there to turn the screw and sliced my little finger badly. Didn't even feel it untiI pulled it out... very sharp... so YaG has spilt its first blood. Hopefully the last....

Maybe I should have turned the blade the other way... Hmmm long story - I snugged up the screws and checked things on the X and Y axis and was turning the screws by hand and decided that was a bit lame so got out the computer and plugged it in. All went smoothly. I did a big circle and rectangle under program control, needed to turn down the accel and velocities compared to Brevis 2 settings. But tomorrow will deal with the razors and pull down the Z... tomorrow maybe sawdust day.. Peter

anyone have suggestion for gripping the ballscrew so the lock nut can be done up tight?
    A strap wrench may get you enough grip on the Ballscrew to tighten the nut, you could clamp a piece of aluminum around it, normally there are 2 flats on the Ballscrew or even a hex I have seen on some

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - I'll look for the flats. Definitely not a hex there. I'll make a timber soft jaw for a g clamp. I don't have a strap clamp will look out for a small one.... Strawb see image attached... May have time to do some more today. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-spindle-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec - checked no flat so soft jaw it is... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter, you could probably make your own strap wrench if you have a piece webbing from something like a ratchet strap. Do a google search for "diy strap wrench" and you will find several different ideas depending on what materials you have lying around.

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening all - After spending the morning walking an industrial designer through how to make "watertight" yacht structure models for FE work in Rhino I diverted and got stuck into removing the Z axis, fitting the circlip and snugging the lock nut. Then replacing the Z. Tomorrow its Saturday so I shall epoxy shim the drive nut and calibrate the axes then make some mess!! I have a rudder and centerboard plug to cut......

clamp 1 - works well and slips at about the right tension
    dome nuts - I do like dome nuts. Since delivery I thought the smudge was rust. But its copper from the electro polishing electrode
    razors - they are safely away in their plastic box
    z axis 1 - ready to refit
    z axis 3 - rear view, better tidy the wiring.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-clamp-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-dome-nuts-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-razors-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-z-axis-1-jpg  

Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-z-axis-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very excited for you! Something so simple as clamping with wood had escaped my too much an engineer not enough a maker brain.

I'm learning, I started my current job in July and it's like 95% maker attitude. They actually hired me to bring more data driven and theory driven design to the team.

Really pumped to see the first cuts that aren't you!

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning all - I have started thinking about the homing switches. To the more experienced on these out there can UCCNC home two sides of the gantry or just one? I know Mach does both and playing with the gantry I see I'll need to home both sides for consistency. My prior machines have not had homing installed. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Birth Announcement - Today at 11:32am Australian EST YaG moved under program control in correct calibration. Birthname YaG800, Creator - Peter, Place of Birth Dum Dum NSW, Birthweight 178kg, length 1600mm. Creator and machine are having a small time to bond then will make some sawdust. Images, videos and baby noises to follow...

Downloads
    Uploads

Peter, such exciting news. Congratulations on your newborn baby. It’s beautiful. Must be a very quick learner, less than a day old and already learning to walk. You must be a very proud parent.

Jayne

PS: your solution to hold the ballscrew with the vice grips and two pieces of soft material is genius. So simple! I have filed that into my memory banks for future use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thks Jayne - Hi All - I'm off to make some sawdust but I don't have any M8 hold down fixtures. I sold them all on my last machine.... but I'll figure something out for the occassion. Will take video.. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-calibration-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-calibration-3-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-longshot-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-tidy-1-jpg  

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast