Build Thread Designing a new router called Brevis-HD - Page 22

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast

Thread: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Designing a new router called Brevis-HD

Evening all - I designed a bench from formply. Its 17mm and formply is heavy. The CAD says it weighs 41 tonne so had to check that out. Once I corrected some densities its 98kg which I feel is still too heavy. So instead of 1200x2400 I'm going to minimise its width and not put in a shelf. A shelf will only collect stuff. It will be on castors as well.. So I'll scoot down the menshed tomorrow and check some dims and start bringing stuff home... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Here's the new bench. 55kg so I can get this in and out of the truck by myself. I also want to use it as a dolly to retrieve YaG . Its in a spot where its a steep uphill path from the shed its in. When I started down there it was a driveway so I could back the truck to the door. But over time the Menshed has put stuff in the way, bolted stuff to the drive and placed a shed halfway across it. So its a juggle to get large stuff in/out. Carried everything for YaG in, in small pieces, now its built its big! Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-2-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-2-2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Went to the shed today and checked the foot spacing of YaG. Modified the bench and decided to add a middle leg. YaG is heavy. Need to buy the castors now so I get their height right. The bench won't have holes in it unless you want to play billiards. That's just where the machine feet land so I can see they are on member. Start on this tomorrow. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench3-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench3-2-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench3-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Today I set up the nest and started cutting ply. But found the cut was not quite straight. My fence is a bit soft and it curved slighty (3mm bow) So I tried planing it straight and that was tedious and I came to the conclusion that I should get the cabinet maker to make the parts. They are always perfect off his table saw or big router, but he's in Qld and its a closed border now so I called and asked if they are delivering and they are now only delivering to account customers... bummer... So I sent some dwgs to 2 cabinet makers on this side of the border to see what happens. Maybe us Mexicans have to start working together. Would be good to have someone close who can cut bases and ply parts... again got to get YaG going!! chickens and eggs all over... so that journey begins. Maybe I bring my big bench home as well... too many variables and obstacles. But Onwards tomorrows another day. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening all - today I cleared the corner area in the shed for YaG. While I was doing that I did a small engraving job for the Mens Shed and painted some panels for my washroom. Who said men can't multitask... I've organised access this Tuesday to start moving YaG to Dum Dum. I think I'll bring its bench as well... Lockdown has been extended two weeks so need to get it here asap... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-close-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-finished-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-panels-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Morning All & Sundry- Today I'm out to start bringing back YaG to the workshop. Building the washroom has allowed me to test some new epoxies I haven't used before. The panels I just painted for instance uses an infusion epoxy with a very long gel time. Took 3 days to get to non tack. Prefer something that cures overnight so I can handle it the next day like the ATL one. But the Sicommin one is very clear while the ATL one is a bit yellow. So today I shall do some more tests with that but preheat the resin to 50C to help it along a bit. It will make large castings easy as its quite thin and exotherm is over a long period so suitable for thick castings... I have 40kg of the stuff so need to use it up. It has 40MPa shear strength so will also be great for metal laminates. Peter

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I retrieved the mechanics and electronics today but no one was around to help lift the machine base. Will need to get 3 guys I think which is tough in covid conditions. I'll ring around and figure something out. Plus make a dolly to save our backs. Stuff being at home meant I could start figuring out the spacer or dressing required for the parts due to the machining. I think I'll start with a an epoxy putty spacer and see how that goes. Or I have the drive nut machined to correct height but then I have mated parts so they won't be interchangeable I'll work thru the options...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-yag-new-home-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-z-axis-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All & Others - Todays job was the washroom splashback but the Z axis caught my eye and I knew I had to do something about the nut gap. The machinist I use is across a hard border so I flagged the idea of mailing the nut to him for skimming as I wanted it done... So I pulled out some epoxy putty and made an epoxy putty shim. It sets really hard in 15mins. 5mins its stiff, 10mins its hard. Can be drilled and threaded as well. So I found a few flat objects to estimate the thickness required and it was about 1.4mm. I found a tongue depressor at 1.5mm nominal that crushed to the right size so set up one side, made the shim then set the other side. Very happy with the result. Now have to set it up on the gantry and do the same thing for the gantry drive nut. I used mould wax on the bolts and surfaces so it can be pulled off easily in future. I monitored the swish out cure and when firm took the plate off and trimmed the inner edges and holes with a knife. Then replaced the plate and let it set proper. Another small job done... Hopefully get the base moved next tuesday... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-putty-roll-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-estimating-putty-volume-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-trimmed-shim-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-job-done-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter,
    Using epoxy putty asa shim seems like a good solution for filling the gap. Is that a two part product, the grey middle and the white outer, that you squish together to start the curing process?

The silver solder joints look very neat and tidy. Do you find they hold up well to the vibrations and stresses from the machine operating?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne -The putty is available at Bunnings its a Shelleys product. Its two part, cut what you need off the little log and knead together.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-...putty_p1230040

The saddle has been TIG welded together not silver soldered. Silver solder is an excellent connection and will outlast welding in many applications. I have silver soldered many structural objects & repaired objects over the last 30 years especially light steel bicycle frames. Tobin bronze is a little cheaper if you are interested in brazing things. I was going to solder the saddle but that meant going north 2 hrs picking up parts bringing back soldering then finishing them somehow to match other parts then taking them back. The electropolishing people didn't want to put a brazed object in their tank so I tried welding. But it warped (as expected). If I braze I will acid brighten... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the link Peter. I didn't realise that was "Knead-It" putty. I've heard about it but never used it.

Have you got the rest of the YAG moved to your workshop yet?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Jayne - Only the mechanicals. The machine base is heavy and I need to find 2-3 guys to help lift it. Tuesday I hope to lift it off its bench, pull down the bench and rebuild bench at workshop then organise transfer of base to workshop. All takes time since Covid locks everyone away... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - I picked up the bench today, may get it together and levelled tonight so I can get the machine asap...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-bits-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-plinth-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All- Bonus job! While I was waiting for the computer to solve a problem it gave me time to assemble and level the bench. So now I have to get YaG here asap! Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-bench-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All & Sundry - I'm picking up YaG tomorrow so the build will be under control soon.... I have started designing Frankenrouter - see here https://www.cnczone.com/forums/austr...23980-cad.html Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Afternoon All - YaG arrived home yesterday. Will start rebuilding asap. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-yag-home-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That’s great news! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Downloads
    Uploads

Evening All - Had a good day epoxying the wall panels for the washroom, then started to reassemble YaG. Got the wiring and gantry sorted then started to rough align the gantry. My magnetic base has died so will need to pick one or two up this week. I used a trusted piece of extrusion and bolted it across the gantry rails. Used 3 squares to check it was square to both rails and I also checked the rails were parallel to the best of my tapes. I have been looking for economical laser equipment or scanners for years to do alignment work. May get a couple of big squares machined that have a caliper integrated with it that can be bolted to the cars.... anyways do the best I can with wot I have... shall try to do a little each day... once gantry is rough aligned I want to get the Z axis on, motors connected and do a non mobile test run (leave the couplings off), to check the wiring does not smoke and the motors spin in the right direction.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-align-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-align-2-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-rough-align-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Made a base for my dial guage stand, bolted it to the car and rough squared the gantry. Its about 0.3mm out side to side relative to the extrusion. Have to compare to squares, steel rulers, edges and various things I have to see which one is closest! Need to get a long true straight edge. But close enough for now to set up the Z axis.. Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-guage-2-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-guage-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Afternoon All - Its a red letter day for YaG - 438 days from first thread entry to mounting the spindle. Still some electrics to sort to get it moving but all the mechanicals work satisfactorily. The saddle needs more putty and the mechs are done. Everything has been assembled pulled down, refitted, pushed and pulled and it all works. The 20kg Z axis falls under its own weight so will need to get the brake working asap. Put my sparkie hat back on and where in the home straight to plug it in... YaG feels really stiff, no wobbles or tightness. Very pleased so far.... Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-electrical-1-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-gantry-putty-jpg   Designing a new router called Brevis-HD-spindle-1-jpg  

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 121920212223242532 ... LastLast