New Machine Build New Machine Build ( or rebuild? ) - 52" x 59" cutting are

Thread: New Machine Build ( or rebuild? ) - 52" x 59" cutting are

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New Machine Build ( or rebuild? ) - 52" x 59" cutting are

Just thought i would drop in, say hello... Show off my new ( or rebuild ) of my machine.

Build Specs:

Cutting Area 52 x 59.5 ( will just make it 49.75 x 59.5 )
    Gantry THK GL20N ( 20 mm , 4 Lead Ball Screw, 6ft wide ) Sitting on top of a 1x3 80/20 Extrusion.
    Z is an old CNC Router Parts constuction. with a Ball Screw, I believe its a 1' per rev.
    Y is an old CNC Router Parts construction as well, with Rack and Pinion.
    Using Nema 23 Motors all around.
    Gecko 540 Controller.
    Morphoon 4Kw ( 5hp ) Air Cooled Spindle ( ER25 Collet )
    GoHz ( ato ) 3.7KW VFD , 0-10v Controlled.
    Linux CNC / EMC.
    1" HDPE Bed Mounted to a 3x3 Arranged 3" 80/20 Extrusion with Corner Brackets Everywhere.

Video of the machine setup: ( it's two parts.. it got cut off in the middle )

----

Updates:
    Added some Laser cross hairs... need to rework the Mounting.. not 100% square to gantry so the X moves based on hieght.
    Added T Slots.
    Added Floating 3/4 MDF Wasboard between the 3x3 Grid of T Slots... I opted NOT to mount down to table, so can easily do Aluminum work without getting MDF soaked in oil/coolant of choice.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Machine Build ( or rebuild? ) - 52" x 59" cutting are

Very nice machine William, you could add some weight and strength by filling the extrusions with EG.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is "EG" ? , i am not sure i have a strength issue yet, if i drive the Z into the table, i clearly lifts the THK LM Actuator off the 1x3 Extrusion, i have some 80/20 1.5x3.0x3.0 brackets on order, i plan on tapping them and bolting the lower mount points and securing to the extrusion, if that still doesn't help, i will look at using a larger piece of extrusion and expanding out the skates.

I have since added side skirts and a drag chain on the left side .. the electronics are also now protected from flying chips. I may also switch the Y gantry from Nema23 to DC Servo motors with Feedback using Gecko G320's,right now if the gantry looses a step it can loose its squareness..

Downloads
    Uploads

EG is epoxy Granite and is used to dampen vibration and fill the hollow voids in the aluminum extrusion to make it stiffer.