bolt frame build - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: bolt frame build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bolt frame build

yeah i can't say i remember it getting really warm on me with the limited stuff I've done with it. but after it got brought up i'm sure i will pay closer attention to if if the weekend ever gets here this week is off to a slow start already.

i think i might switch out these steppers for DMM servo's i have if all goes well with the mold. i will give it a test when the time comes to start working on the final table top in aluminum. that will give me a lot of serious cutting to play around with. if the frame does well i want to do a dual loop feedback with linear encoders if i can figure it out. Linux cnc is how i would like to go with the aid of some Mesa hardware. i might even upgrade the spindle motor with a servo to have control over it in the software. that's not to bad to do with the drive set to analog and using the 0-10V for a signal.

after the molding is done i can fine tune the table top for flatness so i don't have to skim much off the aluminum. i want to keep as much thickness as i can for t slots and a 1" thick top is not going to be cheap so i want to get the most out of it so i have something substantial to clamp to.since i have a milling spindle i can cut things flat with the machine with the reach of the machine. the way things are it would not be to bad since the center area is the high section for the most part. the width of the frame was pretty close but the long axis needs some fine tuning. so needless to say building something this big on a manual Bridgeport machine has been not so easy. the gantry was not to bad but the table has been a pain in the butt.

Downloads
    Uploads

well i did not notice any heat being generated from the chemical reaction between the resin and hardener so it would seem this is not to much of an issue with epoxy granite.

but the mold i built takes more material than i thought so needless to say i need more supplies to finish the job. i under estimated how long it would take to work through a mold this size no doubt. i can honestly say i would never want to do a project this size again. working by yourself mixing this much material by hand is no fun.on a project this size you have to just take your time packing and tamping the material in tight as you go.

you literally have the place where you stated dry and set at the end of the day while the place yo finished up being wet. so when you end the day you have to terminate in a good place. if i was counting on this being the main structure i would most likely rethink the planning but that's not the case with how i built this machine. so my case is a little more forgiving in this sense.

what i have so far i like a lot and i have no doubts about it doing what i want it to to but this is not going to be a cheap add on by any means. as of now i have a little over 1000 lbs of E.G on the machine and i think it will take another 1000 lbs since that did not even get to the table top. so in total i am looking at like 22 gallons of epoxy for this project to get it done.

Downloads
    Uploads

the mold worked pretty good so here is what i am looking at as of now. i plan on painting the machine so some body work will be needed to get a surface worth painting but that's not a big deal. i picked up some industrial enamel made by PPG paints already for this.

bolt frame build-e-g-frame-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

i think the supplier of epoxy i use needs to work on their methods for tracking shipping i was starting to get worried about not having stuff to do this weekend because i was waiting on the epoxy and since it was Thursday and i did not see it i started to see if i could find out when it shipped. i came across an e-mail today saying it shipped today and was like great i doubt i have it by the weekend. but when i looked the tacking number up they said it was delivered today. turns out they had it sitting in the driveway where i could not see it. but still does not explain the delayed tracking number and shipping notification i just got today saying it was shipped today

round two at this thing this weekend

Downloads
    Uploads

i did manage to order some magnetic scales and reader heads for this project. was a bit of a challenge getting past the language barrier translators seem to complicate things but at least the dual loop feedback quest in on track for when that part comes

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345