Need Help! E-Stop getting triggered when interpolating circles

Thread: E-Stop getting triggered when interpolating circles

Downloads
    Uploads

Default E-Stop getting triggered when interpolating circles

I built my own machine. Its approximately 36"x44" 1/2-10 single start lead screw driven. UCCNC. UC100. G540 controller with Nema23 389oz/in 3.5A stepper motors and 48V 7.3A power supply. Gantry is run by master/slave combo.

I have this bug that just recently started showing up more frequently. It seems to be isolated entirely to cutting interpolated circles. As the program starts running, it will randomly trigger a E-stop in UCCNC. I can clear the fault and cycle start and the program will run for another second or two before triggering another E-stop. The issue seems to improve or be eliminated if I reduce the depth of cut and/or slow the feed rate down. Cutting polycarbonate I had to take it down to 1/16" depth of cut with 10ipm feedrate.

My theory: since it has only really shown up in interpolations when X, Y, and A slave are all engaged the issue is with the power supply not providing enough current to the stepper motors? I am learning as I go along so I am not even sure if the steppers have a feedback option where they will cause UCCNC to fault out because the motor cant draw enough current. Or maybe the steppers are drawing more current pulling it away from the G540 so when the controller sees the drop in current it faults out. This would explain why reducing feedrate/depth of cut would improve the issue because you are not having to put as much power into the steppers to get it to move.

Please tell me if I am totally off base or if there is another reason why I could be getting these ghost e-stops.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: E-Stop getting triggered when interpolating circles

Assuming you have an Estop button, disable it in UCCNC and see if it then runs OK.
    Most likely a noise issue, I would think.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes noise or loose connection in the E-Stop circuit.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jakeller449 View Post
    I built my own machine. Its approximately 36"x44" 1/2-10 single start lead screw driven. UCCNC. UC100. G540 controller with Nema23 389oz/in 3.5A stepper motors and 48V 7.3A power supply. Gantry is run by master/slave combo.

I have this bug that just recently started showing up more frequently. It seems to be isolated entirely to cutting interpolated circles. As the program starts running, it will randomly trigger a E-stop in UCCNC. I can clear the fault and cycle start and the program will run for another second or two before triggering another E-stop. The issue seems to improve or be eliminated if I reduce the depth of cut and/or slow the feed rate down. Cutting polycarbonate I had to take it down to 1/16" depth of cut with 10ipm feedrate.

My theory: since it has only really shown up in interpolations when X, Y, and A slave are all engaged the issue is with the power supply not providing enough current to the stepper motors? I am learning as I go along so I am not even sure if the steppers have a feedback option where they will cause UCCNC to fault out because the motor cant draw enough current. Or maybe the steppers are drawing more current pulling it away from the G540 so when the controller sees the drop in current it faults out. This would explain why reducing feedrate/depth of cut would improve the issue because you are not having to put as much power into the steppers to get it to move.

Please tell me if I am totally off base or if there is another reason why I could be getting these ghost e-stops.

You could add a Ferrite Choke on you USB cable it may or may not help it does sound like you have a noise problem how do you have your spindle wired this is important to be done correct, do you have a VFD Drive if so you will need an EMI Filter sized to suit the VFD input power requirement

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Most likely a noise issue, I would think.
    okay. if it is noise how do i eliminate it? i have shielded wire and grounded my steppers. This problem came about once I installed Home switches. I installed shielded wire for the switches and grounded those to the power supply ground. Could this be a possible source?

no VFD. I just have a 1617 that I turn on off manually. Is noise possibly coming from in between controller and PC?

Why would reducing feedrate and depth of cut have an affect on how and when this happens?

Downloads
    Uploads

okay. if it is noise how do i eliminate it? i have shielded wire and grounded my steppers. This problem came about once I installed Home switches. I installed shielded wire for the switches and grounded those to the power supply ground. Could this be a possible source?

no VFD. I just have a 1617 that I turn on off manually. Is noise possibly coming from in between controller and PC?

Why would reducing feedrate and depth of cut have an affect on how and when this happens?
    Can you do a photo of how you have connected the shields, yes the 1617 have a lot of uncontrolled noise being a brush motor, as a test run the program without the spindle running no cutter in the spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably because your spindle motor is producing more noise if the depth of the cut is higher and if the feedrate is higher.
    Did you try to set the debounce parameter in the UCCNC to filter out the noise spikes?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Probably because your spindle motor is producing more noise if the depth of the cut is higher and if the feedrate is higher.
    Did you try to set the debounce parameter in the UCCNC to filter out the noise spikes?
    The Debounce is not active when they are using there USB hardware Debounce is only active for Ethernet users

Mactec54