Is it cheeper to build - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it cheeper to build

Default Re: Is it cheeper to build

I have been looking at Kit's for a key turn start, for about a 4x4 feet footprint. A tabletop would be fine. but so far it's looking like $8000 to $10000.
    If you have any kit ideas send them on. Any suggestion would be appreciated
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pete - I built Scoot my 4x4 machine for <$5k AUD. Please describe what you want to do with it in more detail and I can cost a Scoot kit for you. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the build process for a 4x4ft. Birch-Ply. Should come in under $2500 USD. Ball screw, SBR bearings, steppers, Mesa controler.

Is it cheeper to build-cnc_ytd_bom-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of love here for DIY. Way I see it, the BOM may come in cheaper for a DIY build, but... factor in the time, materials etc you burn re-doing stuff as you realise that it would work better if you did X instead of the Y that you welded in place, etc. Commercial mills manufacturers have been through this iteration process and refined their design to something that's reasonably cost effective and reliable. By the time you factor in all the time you've spent building your machine, and rebuilding it, and finally reaching a point where it's not quite as good as it could be but you can't be bothered (or afford) another run at it? If you could spend those hours earning coin instead, and just buy a decent secondhand machine or even a new one, I personally believe you'd break even.

For me it comes down to the question: do you want to get your enjoyment from playing, learning and the experience of building a machine? If so, DIY. Or do you want to get your enjoyment/money from making parts? If so, go commercial.

Downloads
    Uploads

What dharmic said. The Avid / CNCRP 48x48 Pro kit and you can get the prewired control panel and motors, some assy required but it works when you get done. Build a great table for
    it and since your a Millwright you know about welding and metal fab, so you will do a fantastic job on that. If you were closer I would give you a hand. You do not want a plywood CNC router for serious work, with the aluminum and steel
    frame construction of the table you can mill aluminum and make parts out of it or wood.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I may cop some heat for this but I’m going to give you my opinion. I am also a Millwright, but only 10y experience, and in Australia Oil & Gas

Your options are all based on budget. You said $2500 was your original budget.

In that range, the most rigid kit machine is the Shapeoko 3 XXL, at $US2250 (including the HDZ linear Z axis which increases rigidity a lot). When people hear Shapeoko they immediately think flimsy aluminium extrusion. But they have designed their own extrusion profile, their own Grbl controller, and their own CAD/motion control software. The work area is 33”x33”x3”, they require about 3 hours assembly.
    People are doing pretty decent work on them for hobby machines - https://community.carbide3d.com/t/ha...-on-an-s3/9744 - I strongly suggest you check out this thread, even the whole forum...

The store is here https://shop.carbide3d.com/collectio...14064079044669 I believe there is a Canadian dealer called ‘robotshop’ but the pricing generally comes out the same as buying it from the company that make them.

If you find more money, The Axiom Precision machines are good value in the CDN $4500-$16000 range, there’s a Canadian dealer here https://www.feldercanada.com/collections/cnc-routers they’re pretty turnkey machines, a pretty tidy package and available in a lot of sizes and options

Also as mentioned the CNCrouterparts is a great machine, 4x4’ kit on its own its about US$4500, full kit from their site with spindle and steppers/controller comes to about US$10k

If it were me on your original $2500 budget - I’d buy the Shapeoko, use it to learn CAD & CAM, maybe make a few bits and pieces to sell to fund the new machine, then design your own machine and cut the parts on it, whether aluminium or timber. Then once you’ve made your new machine sell the shapeoko - the resale on them is far better than a home built machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    A lot of love here for DIY. Way I see it, the BOM may come in cheaper for a DIY build, but... factor in the time, materials etc you burn re-doing stuff as you realise that it would work better if you did X instead of the Y that you welded in place, etc. Commercial mills manufacturers have been through this iteration process and refined their design to something that's reasonably cost effective and reliable. By the time you factor in all the time you've spent building your machine, and rebuilding it, and finally reaching a point where it's not quite as good as it could be but you can't be bothered (or afford) another run at it? If you could spend those hours earning coin instead, and just buy a decent secondhand machine or even a new one, I personally believe you'd break even.

For me it comes down to the question: do you want to get your enjoyment from playing, learning and the experience of building a machine? If so, DIY. Or do you want to get your enjoyment/money from making parts? If so, go commercial.
    Exactly, spot on.

I might add there are "wants" and there are "needs". I wanted a large form machine that could handle soft metals and mild steel but really only needed a router for wood/plastic +-0.5mm is acceptable. Then I thought how big of a piece of metal I would really machine. that got me thinking perhaps a mini mill, drill/mill, or smaller kit would be better suited for metal projects. I know the space for two machines, everything has its trade-offs.

For me it is a hobby no expectation to generate income otherwise ya I'd go with one of the serious kits or a used commercial machine.

Hello Project_Hopeless
    Can you send some pic
    thanks

All good point everyone.
    Not thinking of using as a business more as a hobby but don't want to spend months trying to build a unit by trail and error. Also did not want to spend $10,000. The Avid 48x48 pro would be perfect.
    I just thought there would have been more DIY plans available that have proven themselves, where all the bugs, problems and what does not work been engineered out
    Came across Joes CNC machine and that looks interesting. But not sure about it does this come as a complete kit

How do I contact a member/send a private message to a member? Tried to and it said I have turned that message option off
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pete1089 View Post
    How do I contact a member/send a private message to a member? Tried to and it said I have turned that message option off
    Thanks
    When logged in, at the top of the page, select "Settings" then on the left hand menu, choose "General Settings". Locate the settings for "Messaging & Notification"

Downloads
    Uploads

You could also consider a DIY hybrid of some type. For example, the gantry and electronics components from one of the more popular kits then make up your own steel base/table frame with profile rails and R+P drive matching what the kit supplier may have as an extruded option.

With your history, consider Jim's comments (in post 2), if you can find a mechanically decent machine being replaced at a bargain price, you could integrate a new drive control system but be wary of bearing/rail conditions etc - it could end up costing more than the potential savings.

Downloads
    Uploads

Came across Joes CNC machine and that looks interesting. But not sure about it does this come as a complete kit
    No, it's a set of plans that you buy. Joe does sell some of the parts. Some members make their own parts.

The original "Joes Hybrid" has evolved over time, and what most people build these days is similar to the Avid CNC machines. Most people use the Avid CNC rack and pinion drives for their Joes machines.
    Price depends on what level you want to build.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Arrow Re: Is it cheeper to build

Hello Project_Hopeless
    Can you send some pic
    thanks
    I'll see what I have, I'll PM some.

In the meantime I sourced the web for ideas and have drawn inspiration from some of these builds that match what I had in mind.

This is the build that got me thinking ya I can do this. My build is most similar to this although I have upgraded to better bearings and ball screws.

Nice build here but more metal work than I wanted to get involved in...
    https://openbuilds.com/builds/the-growler.8277/

There is a detailed build sequence here, some good fastening tips and methods..
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...rch-frame.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Any wood construction CNC router more or less defeats the purpose of trying to build for accuracy. If all you want to do is make signs for homes and lake houses, or mail boxes then go for it. I will guarantee you once you get started making things you will wish for a better machine. Wood construction zero resale, build one of the CNCRP machines and you can make precision things and aluminum. When you decide to upgrade it will sell, the other maybe you can sell for parts. Been down that road.
    CNCRP / Avid has been making kits and machine for a long time. I have purchased from them in the past and find they are honest and fair.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Project_Hopeless
    Can you send some pic
    thanks
    Your PM is not enabled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any wood construction CNC router more or less defeats the purpose of trying to build for accuracy.
    I disagree. My wood machine has been running fine for over 10 years, and imo is just as accurate as an Avid CNC machine.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pete - Jump in and start making 4x4 sawdust. Doesn't matter how it looks as long as it works. You have a steep learning curve and you learn faster if you do it in a simple media that when you make a mistake its easy to fix. Timber is easy to change and easy to get. Your first one will be rough, your second will be better and your third maybe close to what you thought #1 should have been. There's a lot to learn about software, drivers and set up etc. Consider the buildbotics its plug and play. Were here to help so get going!! Peter

heres a fun build

Hello ger21 would be interested in some pic
    thanks

Yes I did come across this build and was going to try it but was going to upgrade to linear bearings and bigger step motors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast