Is it cheeper to build - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it cheeper to build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Is it cheeper to build

Unless your also good at controls and wiring I would suggest a kit from Avid / CNCRP. They have lots of online support and when you get done you will have a working machine.
    If you build a good solid wood table and skip the leg kit it will save some money.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Whats your experience level with CNC and budget?

Downloads
    Uploads

My CNC experience level is ,I see them working at work ,but those were $75000 plus machineand done repair on them.
    Budget Not sure but let say $2500 can

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok than will do th wider belt
    Also will do the ball screw on the Z axis
    You have any Pic of your machine
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

It all depends on what you want? With zero CNC and controls wiring experience its going to be a lot of learning and troubleshooting. I have a lot of those skills and decided I wanted to Use my machine to make things, not spend time building a machine. Which I have done in the past retro fitting a old mill drill machine. I have had my fun, I would rather make things.

I understand your a Millwright by trade, moving loading and unloading machines, setting in place, leveling and getting ready for the electricians and mechanics. I have worked with you fellows and helped set machines.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

yes millwrights do those thing. But this millwright repairs,machines meaning many hr on operating mill lathes ,grinders.I spent 30 years in the auto manufacturing ,maintaining repairing and improving equipment

Downloads
    Uploads

Building or retrofitting or even repairing a machine can be both very rewarding and frustrating.

With your years of experience doing what you did you can probably also appreciate the issues when replacing parts on a machine for which the manufacturer made a slight change and the new part doesn't quite fit because of a part "change" :-)

Just had this problem with the tail light assembly on my 20 year old car. The new taillight has a different wiring harness and the bulb mounts use 4 locating pins instead of 3 for 2 of the bulbs so my option is to try to find an older tail light assembly or splice the new with the old. It would have been "nice and right" to be able to just drop it in and be done but not the case :-(

Depends on whether you want to spent a lot of time working on your machine or using the machine to make stuff (as has been mentioned). Perhaps a kit from a good supplier and then you can consider improving it to meet your needs. A reasonable machine can always be used to make better parts for the machine or for a new machine.

Personally, my goals are to make stuff, not keep fixing/tinkering with the machine I want to make stuff with. Building/fixing etc often has a lot of hidden costs that'll blow the budget with a few more $ here and there - it adds up very quickly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pete1089 View Post
    yes millwrights do those thing. But this millwright repairs,machines meaning many hr on operating mill lathes ,grinders.I spent 30 years in the auto manufacturing ,maintaining repairing and improving equipment
    I guess I was speaking from a Union shop viewpoint. You certainly can have more skills than just millwright ones.Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been looking at Kit's for a key turn start, for about a 4x4 feet footprint. A tabletop would be fine. but so far it's looking like $8000 to $10000.
    If you have any kit ideas send them on. Any suggestion would be appreciated
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pete - I built Scoot my 4x4 machine for <$5k AUD. Please describe what you want to do with it in more detail and I can cost a Scoot kit for you. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in the build process for a 4x4ft. Birch-Ply. Should come in under $2500 USD. Ball screw, SBR bearings, steppers, Mesa controler.

Is it cheeper to build-cnc_ytd_bom-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of love here for DIY. Way I see it, the BOM may come in cheaper for a DIY build, but... factor in the time, materials etc you burn re-doing stuff as you realise that it would work better if you did X instead of the Y that you welded in place, etc. Commercial mills manufacturers have been through this iteration process and refined their design to something that's reasonably cost effective and reliable. By the time you factor in all the time you've spent building your machine, and rebuilding it, and finally reaching a point where it's not quite as good as it could be but you can't be bothered (or afford) another run at it? If you could spend those hours earning coin instead, and just buy a decent secondhand machine or even a new one, I personally believe you'd break even.

For me it comes down to the question: do you want to get your enjoyment from playing, learning and the experience of building a machine? If so, DIY. Or do you want to get your enjoyment/money from making parts? If so, go commercial.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast