CNC machines from plywood - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC machines from plywood

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC machines from plywood

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    Good progress.I see you changed the coupling to an Oldham type and that should be a better solution.Will you be using a clear finish on the wood or will it be painted?I find either helps with preventing the wood becoming dirty.
    Hello, Routalot. I am pleased that you are closely following my modest topic. Thank.
    On the issue of covering plywood, I also think about it. If the plywood is uncoated, it will become dirty and very ugly over time.
    Of course, you need to cover. I'm racking my brains now, I think what to apply. I tend to cover with carpentry oil with wax. For example - Borma Wachs Grundierol Coloroil.
    (Borma Wachs Grundierol Coloroil ????? ???????. |????????? ?????. ????? ??? ???????.)
    This oil can be applied without dismantling the machine.
    What is your opinion?
    Oil has a color. The choice is great, I'm lost. Let's choose a color together?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Yuri - I use white PVA glue diluted with water 50/50. Its cheap and seals the surface very well. It can be applied after the machine is built, is easy to get into corners and after a few coats becomes an excellent varnish. It dries very fast so you can get several coats on quickly. Its more like a shellac approach then a thick paint. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

FWIW, my go-to is water-based polyurethane; but I'm a) in California, so choices are somewhat limited due to environmental regulations that the rest of the world doesn't have to comply with; and b) not a woodworking expert.

Downloads
    Uploads

If I was going to use a clear finish,my first choice would be a shellac sealer as it dries very quickly.After a couple of coats you can flatten it with fine abrasive paper and wax it for a nice finish and the wax prevents other things sticking to it.For a coloured finish I might choose cream as most commercial machines I have seen are cream.Alternatively a metallic green would look good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yuriy

For me looking elegant comes well after working well so I wouldn’t compromise a build to make it look good.

About that finish issue. The one big challenge with anything wood related is moisture ingress and the resultantdimensional changes. To address this on some bench work I recently built I picked up some epoxy based penetrating sealer at the local Woodcraft store. This stuff soaked in massively into both hard board and some course particle board. The idea in this case was to seal against spills more than anything but I’m also hoping that the epoxy increases the hardness and thus the life span of the surfaces.

I don’t know what you have available in your country but I’d certainly look for a sealer that is known to soak in well. Keep applying the sealer until it no longer wicks into the wood. After that has cured, follow with a coat or two of paint. A good grade of paint is far easier to clean.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for your advice. I carefully read each of them. And in each I get something useful. Thank.
    In our country, of course, other wood products are sold, not like yours, but the choice is huge, and there are many good ones. Something good will be sure to pick.

Downloads
    Uploads

Friends and colleagues, hello. My project is almost complete. Now I will conduct tests. In the meantime, I'm showing part 3 of my series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12