Ballscrew End Support Rotational Play

Thread: Ballscrew End Support Rotational Play

Default Ballscrew End Support Rotational Play

I can usually find answers from searching but nothing on this...maybe just don't know the terminology.

I purchased ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008 via ebay. Knew there would be a bit of risk but that's not my concern. I'm a rookie building a hobby machine to see if this is for me.

The video below shows rotational play in the end support bearing. I noticed both ends doing this when mounting them. The movement is between the inner and outer races and I don't notice any linear play by hand.

Is this normal? I am assuming not so I guess the real question is do you have any suggestions where to get good replacement bearings that hopefully won't break the bank.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ballscrew End Support Rotational Play

Typical ball screw mounting has a fixed mount and a floating mount. The fixed mount is the reference mount and you want very little play in the mount. The mount in the video is the floating mount and it is there to hold up the screw and allow the screw to expand and conctract with temperature changes. It doesn't much matter if there is a little play in it because that play doesn't effect positioning.

Makes sense. The motor end wobbles just as much, that's actually where I noticed it to begin with. Would get a clip of that too but I already removed it.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is normal. Never mind. This bearing will fulfill its task - supporting the end of the shaft.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lowriderdog37 View Post
    Makes sense. The motor end wobbles just as much, that's actually where I noticed it to begin with. Would get a clip of that too but I already removed it.
    That is a cheap Deep Grove Bearing and ( ZZ steel shields ) which is junk if you are using it where there is any dust as the shields will let the dust inside the Bearing, it's normal for it to have play like you are seeing, the Bearing you want to have has Rubber shields ( 2RS )

The drive end should be rigid with no play in it, so if you have play in the drive end then you will have to adjust it until it has no play in it, you have to check this with the Ballscrew locking nut torqued up against the spacers

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That is a cheap Deep Grove Bearing and ( ZZ steel shields ) which is junk if you are using it where there is any dust as the shields will let the dust inside the Bearing, it's normal for it to have play like you are seeing, the Bearing you want to have has Rubber shields ( 2RS )

The drive end should be rigid with no play in it, so if you have play in the drive end then you will have to adjust it until it has no play in it, you have to check this with the Ballscrew locking nut torqued up against the spacers
    Good to know, THANK YOU!