2nd Post-Gantry goes out of square - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd Post-Gantry goes out of square

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2nd Post-Gantry goes out of square

Try swapping the left and right connections to the y motors. If the problem of not moving on startup moves to the other side, the problem is in your drivers or wiring.

Activation process justicedavid65's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, tonight I took the 2 Y motors off of the frame and put tape on the shafts. I ran a gcode project and they stayed in sync for a while, but then there was a long y axis run and that's where they got out of sync. Just prior to running this code I replaced the 2 y axis drivers with the x and z drivers because I know they were good.

Does this point to one of these motors as the problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure your gantry is rigid? Looks like it could use some bracing! If it's square before cutting and not after, then it would seem to me that the process of moving the gantry or z axis is pulling it off. Is your lead screw parallel and in the center of where it should be?

Downloads
    Uploads

So, tonight I took the 2 Y motors off of the frame and put tape on the shafts. I ran a gcode project and they stayed in sync for a while, but then there was a long y axis run and that's where they got out of sync
    Motors just lying on a bench are susceptible to resonance, which can cause lost steps or stalling, if it's bad enough. This may be what you are seeing.

You might want to try some different microstep settings, and see if that makes a difference.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

@fretman - This is a design that is being used by several others and no issues with the gantry, so I don't think it's mechanical

@ger21 - Today I connected both Y motors directly to the steppers, no splice at all between motor and stepper. I ran some code and the right motor fell out of sync. Then I switch drivers and the same motor fell out of sync. I don't see how it can be anything except the motor? No wiring issues and the same motor lost steps on different drivers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are the main power cables for the drivers wired in a star configuration from the power supply or are they daisy-chained. Should be star configuration.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have 2 48V power supplies. The mains feeds the first one and it feeds the 2nd one. Both of the Y motors are powered from the 2nd power supply, not daisy chained.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by justicedavid65 View Post
    @fretman - This is a design that is being used by several others and no issues with the gantry, so I don't think it's mechanical

@ger21 - Today I connected both Y motors directly to the steppers, no splice at all between motor and stepper. I ran some code and the right motor fell out of sync. Then I switch drivers and the same motor fell out of sync. I don't see how it can be anything except the motor? No wiring issues and the same motor lost steps on different drivers.
    How do the drives connect to the motor? Do you think it could be the connection to the motor is bad? Have you also switched the suspect motor to a different axis to see if it loses steps? Sounds like you found the issue and now you just need to see if it's really a bad motor or maybe a bad connection.

Downloads
    Uploads

I kind of worked my way all the way down to motors connected to drives, with nothing in between. This is how I have come to think it's the motor that is the problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally solved my problem. The problem was, I'm an idiot! I had my ground that daisy chains all of the drivers coming out of +5v instead of ground. All is well now and running great.

So, all of you that said check the electronics were right!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12