New Machine Build GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design - Page 7

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    From my experience, they are more forgiving, if the bearings are the double sealed variety. We ran a machine for 10 years where the bearings were always covered in chips, and never had a problem with it. Just lube it regularly to flush any contaminants out.

Thank you, Gerry. Just what I wanted to hear.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Peach52 View Post
    For GME:
    On your post number 4 link for your picture are not good !

Sorry, but I don't understand. Your link took me to Ebay for something about suspension parts. I suspect the link was unintended. I've had CNC Zone add links to posts that I didn't input and made no sense. In fact, it happened to me with this post. I had edit to change the B in Ebay to lower case to make the link go away.

Are you indicating that you cannot see the photos in post #4? Please clarify.

Thank you,

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I've had CNC Zone add links to posts that I didn't input and made no sense.
    There's a setting for this, called "skim links" or something similar. Look in your user settings.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to say the CNCRP extrusions are cut in house to a much higher standard than 80\20. I know they drill and otherwise make it a no skill involved build. If 80\20 does supply some of the material its also possible they are cut to a closer standard.

I was very impressed by the online comprehensive instructions I read through.

I am also sure they do not purchase from a retailer like 80\20 but order the extrusions by the truckload direct. Most manufactors do the same to control the quality and cost of materials.

It would be interesting to hear from others who built machines from the 80\20 extrusions.

Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-09-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    I am also sure they do not purchase from a retailer like 80\20 but order the extrusions by the truckload direct.
    I thought 80/20 ARE the manufacturer (or importers) of those 80/20 profiles as I have not seen anybody else offering those in the US. The T-Nutz profiles offered in the US have a slightly different look so they might be dodging some patent issues with 80/20.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    I thought 80/20 ARE the manufacturer (or importers) of those 80/20 profiles as I have not seen anybody else offering those in the US. The T-Nutz profiles offered in the US have a slightly different look so they might be dodging some patent issues with 80/20.
    Even have milled surfaces for the rail mounting.

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...1503634&Inch=0

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes but, their profiles are different in sections.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am going to say the CNCRP extrusions are cut in house to a much higher standard than 80\20. I know they drill and otherwise make it a no skill involved build. If 80\20 does supply some of the material its also possible they are cut to a closer standard.

I was very impressed by the online comprehensive instructions I read through.

I am also sure they do not purchase from a retailer like 80\20 but order the extrusions by the truckload direct. Most manufactors do the same to control the quality and cost of materials.

It would be interesting to hear from others who built machines from the 80\20 extrusions.

David is correct about 80/20. They are the "mother company." They have a few distributors around the country who sell 80/20 products, along with other product lines.

Bill, I have never seen anything suggesting CNCRP or do anything else with the 80/20 extrusions. I'm curious where you found that information.

Here is a picture I found on the CNCRP subforum on a new build: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-r...896-build.html

GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design-img_1493-121218-jpg

As you can see, the most of the boxes are labeled from CNCRP, but four of them are labeled 80/20. Having bought more than my share of 80/20. The 80/20 boxes the same ones that have come with every order I've placed. See the staples in the end? They use a 1 by block of wood in the ends and staple the thick cardboard to it. I've never been able to open one of their shipping boxes without damaging it. I mention this, because it leads to the conclusion that 80/20 does not buy truckloads of extrusions, cut them, and ship them out. Even if they received them on an order-by-order basis, they wouldn't be able to open the boxes, make the cuts, drill holes, and thread ends and repackage in the 80/20 boxes. So, if they were processing the 80/20, the extrusions would come in CNCRP boxes. This was a 4 X 8 build.

There's another thread where the OP stood the extrusions on end and measured them for length. All were different, but within a few thousands. He commented that 80/20 had cut them and they were within 80/20's specs. He decided to use shims (like I did on my first machine). Remarkably, his ends were apparently cut square. I've not seen that. In my experience, they have all been and our beyond the maximum permissible tolerance. Maybe just my bad luck.

Long story short, it appears 80/20 does the processing.

Yes, I agree that the CNCRP instructions are very impressive. I would have put info on leveling and re-leveling at various stages of the build to ensure everything goes together nice and square. Put it together with one corner too high and your are going to have a baked in twist. It's very fixable but more work. That they don't is probably a reflection of the market they serve. If you've not seen it, Nate has a video for his 4 X 4 kit machine. Also very thorough and very nicely done. Anyone who couldn't follow his video instructions has no mechanical aptitude.

Gary

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design-img_1493-121218-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

https://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detai...1503634&Inch=0
    Yes but, their profiles are different in sections.
    Yup, a nice service. Understandably, you pay extra for milling.

As David noted, the Mitsumi extrusion profiles are very different than 80/20's, even the 80/20 metric. I like 80/20's layout better, but that's just me. I've seen a lot of different cross sections on extrusions in other parts of the world. Most appear thinner than 80/20's, which I wouldn't go for. 80/20 has a couple of "lite" versions (read that as "thinner"). I don't buy them. Actually, I believe CNCRP uses a lite version in their machines - at least that's what their instructions depict. You can tell by the holes in the 4 corners as viewed from the end. You can also tell by the sort of two X shapes in the center 1/3 quadrants. That where you can thread the holes to put screws in from the end. On the full thickness heavy stuff, it's just a regular hole. In the 15 series stuff, the hole is the correct size to take a 5/16" tap. I've tapped my share. It's a nice feature.

Not suggesting there is anything wrong with the "lite" stuff. There's a market for it. It's just that the heavy stuff is stiffer and heavier, both of which are pluses when building a CNC. Also, as you would expect, the heavy stuff is more expensive.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I like 80/20's layout better, but that's just me.
    I personally don't like their profiles.

Their cross bracing is thinner than 80/20.

I don't even know how an engineer could put that kink in there.
    Right where it transfers bending loads onto the skin of profile:
    GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design-screen-shot-2019-05-09-4-41-a

Downloads
    Uploads

Long story short, it appears 80/20 does the processing.

What I am saying Gary is there can be different standards, one for Retail and another for CNCRP otherwise there would be hundreds of customers upset like you were when you received Your order. How else would you account for the customer satisfaction they have?

Mitsumi extrusion profiles can be had in many different configurations. BTW The ones I ordered when I was going to build my large scale laser were cut right to spec. They are used in many different applications without issues. The ones that are milled are an option for folks like you using the linear rail to insure the rail is mounted flat and true.

Speaking of milling is 80\20 also doing that for the CNCRP pieces they cut, the round holes for the fastners?

In any event we need to let this drop and let you get back to making your machine!

Last edited by wmgeorge; 05-09-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Sorry, but I don't understand. Your link took me to Ebay for something about suspension parts. I suspect the link was unintended. I've had CNC Zone add links to posts that I didn't input and made no sense. In fact, it happened to me with this post. I had edit to change the B in Ebay to lower case to make the link go away.

Are you indicating that you cannot see the photos in post #4? Please clarify.

Thank you,

Gary
    I can't see them even if i click on the link,it says the attachement link is not good!

P.s. sorry if my english is not perfect, first langage is french

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast