New Machine Build GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design - Page 34

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334

Thread: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

I am stealing your joint fixture design.....

Looks great!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Gary are you going to post pictures of the finished machine? I wanted to see how all your hard work turned out. How did it wind up budget wise,were you close to your target?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nlancaster View Post
    I am stealing your joint fixture design.....

Looks great!!

Thank you. I'm glad you like it. Steal away! Let me know if you have any questions.

Gary

The Old Man and the C -----NC

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Hey Gary are you going to post pictures of the finished machine? I wanted to see how all your hard work turned out. How did it wind up budget wise,were you close to your target?
    Good evening, Dan.

Sure, I can post some pictures when I'm finally done.

Right now, I'm rethinking my support structure. My first machine had two torsion box cabinets as the support base. Each cabinet was 60" long x 24" deep. there was a torsion box at each end and in the middle. I then added a torsion box top that the CNC set on. I used hockey puck adjustable feet that screwed into coupling nuts epoxied into the torsion boxes. So, I had 5 feet per cabinet. Very rigid; no vibration issues. Solid as a rock.

My plan was to add some aluminum gussets to the legs and support braces to increase rigidity. I even have the gussets rough cut and ready for final cutting on the CNC. I was about ready to cut them, when the idea of making new cabinets for this machine occurred to me. I repurposed my old ones, although I could resurrect them, if they are tall enough. I need to measure them. Also, I don't want a total of 4' of depth. I don't need it, and I prefer to have my electronics underneath the spoilboard, rather than on the side, where they take up too much space. I want a final bed height of of something around 38.5" to give me a final height of around 40" for joinery purposes. I really wish I could have way more height for joinery, but I'd need a ladder to use the machine.

I'm still chewing on which way to go, although I know cabinets would provide the more solid substructure. I suppose I could weld a frame, but I want something perfectly flat. I couldn't get that by welding, but can get there with torsion boxes.

Although I have far from unlimited resources (I'm retired after all) I really didn't have a rigid budget. The greatest costs were in purchasing the aluminum and hardware from 80/20, so I had those costs up front. On top of that, I replaced some cabling, and bought some aluminum plate and angle. I also bought Hiwin linear rail components and the Avid CNC Z axis. The extra costs probably totaled around $2,500 or so. I'm at about $5,500, all in, excluding motors, electronics, spindle, etc, which I already had and were functioning properly. A few hundred more than the Avid Pro 4x4 kit + leg kit, but my machine is nearly twice as heavy (the extrusions are twice the size of Avid's, except for the gantry beam) and I have much higher quality (and more expensive) linear rails. Cost wise, it worked out at about what I expected. No major surprises.

Gary

Last edited by GME; 10-28-2019 at 05:50 PM.
    The Old Man and the C -----NC

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Gary and from what I can see it looks really nice. I cringed when I sat down and totaled everything up, there was so much in odds and ends that I didn't factor in orginally. I finally got a proper dust collector which is so nice compared to the shop vac. It's amazing how much quieter the 2hp dust collector is than the little shop vac I was using.

Looking forward to the finished pictures and a video. Great job with the machine Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gerry, (ger21), if you happen across this post, feel free to share it wherever you want in conjunction with Joint Cam.

I posted a link to your post on the JointCAM forum. Thanks for sharing.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2431323334