New Machine Build GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design - Page 30


Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2027282930
Results 349 to 355 of 355

Thread: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

  1. #349
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    738
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Well done Gentlemen.
    Seems like a great result.
    It was like reading a exciting novel with those posts....lol

    Thank you, Sterob. It's been an adventure.

    All the credit goes to Peter, who devoted an extraordinary about of time and effort to finding a fix. I can say with absolute certainty that I would not found the solution without him. As I've made clear throughout the process, I have dealing with an issue that is far outside my knowledge and experience.

    I've never seen any mention on the zone about using something as simple as nylon washers for vibration isolation. That leads me to believe that I'm not alone in my ignorance on the subject. Hopefully this thread will help others find a solution to similar issues. Stepper vibrate - just the nature of the beast. I suspect there are a number of folks who have experienced the same or similar issues, but ended up just living with it. Now, there is a pathway for them. IMO, Peter has done a great service to not only me, but to others in our CNC router community. Thank you again, Peter.

    Gary


    The Old Man and the C -----NC


  2. #350
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10005
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Thank you, Sterob. It's been an adventure.

    All the credit goes to Peter, who devoted an extraordinary about of time and effort to finding a fix. I can say with absolute certainty that I would not found the solution without him. As I've made clear throughout the process, I have dealing with an issue that is far outside my knowledge and experience.

    I've never seen any mention on the zone about using something as simple as nylon washers for vibration isolation. That leads me to believe that I'm not alone in my ignorance on the subject. Hopefully this thread will help others find a solution to similar issues. Stepper vibrate - just the nature of the beast. I suspect there are a number of folks who have experienced the same or similar issues, but ended up just living with it. Now, there is a pathway for them. IMO, Peter has done a great service to not only me, but to others in our CNC router community. Thank you again, Peter.

    Gary
    Glad you found a fix, this is standard practice in the industry to use plastic or urethane bushings / washers when you want to isolate something like this, it would even be better if you changed the bearings also to a AF Delrin bushing, which you would have to custom make, having Bearings in something like this is a bad design

    Mactec54


  3. #351
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    738
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Glad you found a fix, this is standard practice in the industry to use plastic or urethane bushings / washers when you want to isolate something like this, it would even be better if you changed the bearings also to a AF Delrin bushing, which you would have to custom make, having Bearings in something like this is a bad design
    Thanks, mactec. Delrin AF bushings sound like a good idea, especially given what I've learned lately about plastics. Without tearing down R&P drive, I can only guess at the OD of the eccentric bearing. I'm guessing it would take a fairly large diameter rod, and Delrin AF is very pricey, even for a short piece.

    I won't quarrel with you about the design aspect, except to say that these R&P drives were designed for use in a kit for the DIY market - and at a price point. It may be a poor design, but it works well enough for its target market.

    FWIW, it looks like Avid CNC dropped the ball bearing in the drive pulley/pinion and moved to a Super Oilite bushing. I wonder if replacing this bushing with Delrin AF would also be a good idea?

    If only I had a lathe . . . . Maybe next year! A lathe is on my wish list. Cutting some custom bushings would make a good project and skill builder, and would improve my machine.

    Gary


    The Old Man and the C -----NC


  4. #352
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10005
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    Thanks, mactec. Delrin AF bushings sound like a good idea, especially given what I've learned lately about plastics. Without tearing down R&P drive, I can only guess at the OD of the eccentric bearing. I'm guessing it would take a fairly large diameter rod, and Delrin AF is very pricey, even for a short piece.

    I won't quarrel with you about the design aspect, except to say that these R&P drives were designed for use in a kit for the DIY market - and at a price point. It may be a poor design, but it works well enough for its target market.

    FWIW, it looks like Avid CNC dropped the ball bearing in the drive pulley/pinion and moved to a Super Oilite bushing. I wonder if replacing this bushing with Delrin AF would also be a good idea?

    If only I had a lathe . . . . Maybe next year! A lathe is on my wish list. Cutting some custom bushings would make a good project and skill builder, and would improve my machine.

    Gary
    If you were to modify it at anytime you would fit a aluminum bushing and then this would cut down the diameter of the AF Delrin Bushing size to be made, the pinion end is where a good bearing setup should be, it's a rolling element the fixed end is basically static, which is not a good place to have a Ball Bearing

    You would make 2 Delrin Bushings with a flange, this would give you the washer on both sides for total isolation, so you would make 2 Bushes with a flange

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design-plastic-bushing-png  
    Mactec54


  5. #353
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    738
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you were to modify it at anytime you would fit a aluminum bushing and then this would cut down the diameter of the AF Delrin Bushing size to be made, the pinion end is where a good bearing setup should be, it's a rolling element the fixed end is basically static, which is not a good place to have a Ball Bearing

    You would make 2 Delrin Bushings with a flange, this would give you the washer on both sides for total isolation, so you would make 2 Bushes with a flange

    Thank you for the design tip. It would be much less expensive starting with aluminum for the bulk of it, and then machine the Delrin in a smaller size. Now I have a basic model to work from. I appreciate the additional information.

    Gary


    The Old Man and the C -----NC


  6. #354
    Member peteeng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    dum dum
    Posts
    630
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Morning Gary - Happy to be of help. Been interesting wading through the issue so far away. I use a lot of delrin in place of aluminium in mining equipment. You could make the arm in delrin (would need to be a bit thicker) and then it would be an excellent isolator. Then you can integrate the bearing into it. Plus this is a mill job Happy Making. Peter

    I've just launched my website! Tetra Motion - TETRA MOTION

    - - - Updated - - -



  7. #355
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    738
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

    Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Morning Gary - Happy to be of help. Been interesting wading through the issue so far away. I use a lot of delrin in place of aluminium in mining equipment. You could make the arm in delrin (would need to be a bit thicker) and then it would be an excellent isolator. Then you can integrate the bearing into it. Plus this is a mill job Happy Making. Peter

    I've just launched my website! Tetra Motion - TETRA MOTION

    - - - Updated - - -

    Making a new R & P drive in delrin. Now, that's an interesting idea. I'll have to give that some thought. I have a mill and CNC router, after all.

    I like your new website, Peter. I didn't realize you were designing Maxiumus in anticipation of starting a business venture. I'm sure it's going to be a big hit in Australia. Depending upon the costs to ship parts to the U.S., you may have a hit here as well. The best of luck!

    Gary


    The Old Man and the C -----NC


Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2027282930

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design