New Machine Build GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design - Page 2

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Gary it might not be an issue with your light weight aluminum gantry, but I know when mine is running fast I am glad for all the bracing I can get. Maybe if its needed, IF its needed you could attach the lower brace rail with aluminum plates to the side. Looks very nice so far.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

80160 is not exactly lightweight.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    80160 is not exactly lightweight.
    +1. Not nearly as heavy as the Saturn 2's steel gantry. I needed my engine hoist to lift it. At least I can manhandle the 80160 without a hoist, or better still, ask my wife to help.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Gary it might not be an issue with your light weight aluminum gantry, but I know when mine is running fast I am glad for all the bracing I can get. Maybe if its needed, IF its needed you could attach the lower brace rail with aluminum plates to the side. Looks very nice so far.

Thanks, Bill. You're right. I could attach a brace with side plates. However, to do so would require putting the extrusions either higher or lower than the existing ones. I could fit a side plate on the outside, but the existing cross brace would prevent adding a plate in the inside. I suppose I could add some aluminum angle on the inside, but I'd have to mill it to get the faces square. Every time I buy aluminum angle, it's always way out of square.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good Gary!

Also if you're worried about the legs you could always bolt a piece of MDF to the base to stiffen it up and you'll have a nice shelf to use for storage under the table.

Looking forward to the rest of the build,
    Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

If the lower leg braces being referred to are the horizontal pieces (one with cable drag chain on it,) then those do almost nothing for stability/strength. They just keep the legs parallel. If the legs are anchored down (even if it's just friction with a rubber pad,) they really aren't necessary. You really need triangular structures for strength. The gussets in GME's build look like they add more strength than those cross pieces on the yellow one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    If the lower leg braces being referred to are the horizontal pieces (one with cable drag chain on it,) then those do almost nothing for stability/strength. They just keep the legs parallel. If the legs are anchored down (even if it's just friction with a rubber pad,) they really aren't necessary. You really need triangular structures for strength. The gussets in GME's build look like they add more strength than those cross pieces on the yellow one.

I like your answer better. Not sure what you are referring to when you said, "one with the cable drag chain on it." I don't have a drag chain mounted yet, but when I mount it, it will be on one of the upper front-to-back extrusions.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    I like your answer better. Not sure what you are referring to when you said, "one with the cable drag chain on it." I don't have a drag chain mounted yet, but when I mount it, it will be on one of the upper front-to-back extrusions.

Gary
    I was referring to the photo of the yellow router.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got it. Thank you. I appreciate your weighing in.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    I was referring to the photo of the yellow router.
    The "Yellow Router" or CAMaster is a very well made and selling commercial duty unit. Not a DIY or hobby model. If those legs keep the other parallel I would think that would be a big deal! Most commercial routers have those and are welded steel. Look whats on the market.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

The "Yellow Router" or CAMaster is a very well made and selling commercial duty unit. Not a DIY or hobby model. If those legs keep the other parallel I would think that would be a big deal! Most commercial routers have those and are welded steel. Look whats on the market.
    It's most likely to prevent the router from getting damaged during transport and to help keep things square while (and after) welding. Ask any mech engineer, rectangles are weak, triangles are strong.

Downloads
    Uploads

You could argue that the only reason it works is because it's welded steel. Parallelograms are nowhere near as rigid as triangles.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast