New Machine Build GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design - Page 17

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: GME's New 80/20 CNC Build - My Design

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Recall the discussion we had a while back when I suggested adding diagonal braces? I would start by adding those to the sides that did not have some installed.

You've got slots in those legs, make up some 2 sided L brackets to fit and holes to match those slots. Weld at the sides. So you've enclosed two sides of one leg, both L bottoms bolted to floor, holes with bolts to slots. Trying to get Fusion 360 to export a JPG, but here is a screen shot. Pretty simple just make 2 for each leg, Weld at the long upright corner.
    BTW the best present I ever purchased for myself was a Bosch rotary hammer/drill, works great as a 1/2 drill motor and wonderful as a hammer drill. Makes drilling in concrete a breeze.
    Thanks, Bill. The photos I took don't tell the whole story. The feet stick out a little past each face. Maybe I make up the L and weld the L that attaches to the floor to the face of the L on the legs. That would might move it out far enough. I'll have to play with it and see if I can make something like you suggested work. I'd have to use some thicker metal on the legs to clear the feet.

Adding the 2 cross pieces won't be as easy as one might think. The fasteners usually used to fix them won't fit. You need an open end to slide them in. I'd have to rig up a special fastening method - and more hours at the mill. Also, the extrusions will cost an arm & leg. All 80/20 is expensive. The 3 x 3 profiles especially so. The shipping is a killer. All-and-all, an ugly job. Interesting, but the Avid 4 x 4 has the brace we are talking about on only one side - used to hang the control boxes from. It's also mounted pretty high up on the legs. The other side is constructed like mine. You'd think that their machines would still suffer from vibration - especially since they are about half the weight. I wonder about that.

I'll have to get a hammer drill. I have a lot of drills, but not one of those. I'll take a look at the Bosch. I will probably anchor to the floor first and see what I get. I'll add the braces, if anchoring doesn't do the job.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Buy some 3x3 inch or another size you think would work, 3/8 inch thick aluminum angle. Brace from the inside so you don't hit your legs on it. Drill the legs with 5/16 or 3/8 bolt or make plates.
    I thought they had twist in or other special bolts for those slots you could use?

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Buy some 3x3 inch or another size you think would work, 3/8 inch thick aluminum angle. Brace from the inside so you don't hit your legs on it. Drill the legs with 5/16 or 3/8 bolt or make plates.
    I thought they had twist in or other special bolts for those slots you could use?
    There are a lot of options surrounding 80/20, but the profile size is what it is. Nothing I can do about the 3 x 3 size.

The 3 x 3 is attached with fasteners that fit in a special 13/16" milled hole at the ends. There are twist-in bolts, but they won't work in this application. With the special milled fastners, I'd have to use roll-in t-nuts, which are just okay. The milled fasteners are designed to use a 3" long t-nut with maximum bearing surface. Roll-in t-nuts bear enough to hold, but don't have all that much bearing surface. Makes sense. Otherwise, you couldn't roll them into the slot. Adding the additional 80/20 lengths can be made to work, but the installation won't be as stiff as it would be if installed with the proper hardware. Just the way it is.

The twist-in bolts should work for mounting the legs to the floor. So would roll-in t-nuts. I keep both around, so it's just a matter of selecting the one I like best. The twist-in are much more limited, because there aren't many bolt sizes. I'll have to check, but I don't think they are long enough to mount 3/8" material. With the roll-in t-nuts, you can choose the bolt length you need. I think they may have twist-in t-nuts, but I'm not sure. If they do, twist-in nuts may work all around.

Thank you for your suggestions, Bill. Much appreciated.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

Gary, I was suggesting 3x3 by 3/8 inch thick aluminum angle for the bracing. Or any other suitable size angle, not the extrusions.

Sorry about not drawing it up for you but I design in my head and I can visualize how to do it. Been doing it that way since as a farm kid 65 years ago I built my first gokart. Yes I can do CAD, it just slows me down.

Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617