New Machine Build Screw Metal Parts to Wood Parts - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screw Metal Parts to Wood Parts

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Screw Metal Parts to Wood Parts

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    How easy is it for any of us to find proper woodscrews these days?.
    I wouldn’t even consider a return to old fashion screws these days for most of the things I’m using wood screws for. I’ve been using GRK cabinet screws, GRK general purpose screws, GRK construction screws and the hanger screws recommended by the hanger manufactures. Frankly it is like the best thing since sliced bread. Every screw has its use, even old fashion wood screws, but my go to screws are all of modern design.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Wizard - can you attach a photo for us down in -Z world? of the GRK screws. Peter

Hi Wiz -I looked them up. Great screws. I dislike posi or phillips heads. Star drive is great, big head, good thread. Can't get them in OZ Peter

Last edited by peteeng; 04-18-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    My vision or maybe its delusion, is evolving. Like you suggest I'm now thinking 1/4" thick cold rolled bar stock threaded for backing plates.
    That will work for some situations but what I was thinking about here is running the screws into the bearing blocks. You would end up with a sandwich of sorts. Bearing block > buffer plate (optional) > wood product > buffer plate. The bolts would go through everything into the tapped holes in the bearing blocks. Your approach would of course work where required.

I think tee-nuts are out, 1/4" cold rolled, drilled and tapped.
    I would never dismiss an option out of hand!! Just use the right item for the task at hand.
    From some of my research on the boat building forms I see they counter bore all the bolt holes and pour an "epoxy annulus" to help with side loads for rigging and winches. I'm thinking about doing this also.
    Just remember that boat building is a different art altogether. Often with fiber constructed vehicles they have to address the reality of soft core materials.
    What epoxy type brands would you recommend for embedding inserts or building "epoxy annulus" in wood?
    It depends a great deal upon what I’m doing at the time. Often it is hardware store epoxy with a long open time. Fast set epoxies have their uses but for anything beyond a minor glue up they just set way too fast. If I need a lot of epoxy it is probably West Systems as the local Woodcraft carries it. If you want to impregnate glass cloth or Other fillers, you obviously need larger amounts of epoxy which is where the likes of the WestSystem comes into play.

Downloads
    Uploads

How do I cut Plywood? Do you know any good routertable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Wizard - can you attach a photo for us down in -Z world? of the GRK screws. Peter

Hi Wiz -I looked them up. Great screws. I dislike posi or phillips heads. Star drive is great, big head, good thread. Can't get them in OZ Peter

Well that sucks! Maybe you should become an importer, sounds like a business opportunity.

By the way the heads are one of the reasons I’ve been using the screws from GRK a lot. Remodeling and house repairs have been taking up a lot of my time. The GRK hardware makes it possible to do things one couldn’t with Phillips drives (at least not easily).

In any event back to other possible screw solutions. For light work self tapping sheet metal screws, say of 1” length, can be used to mount items not subject to stress. You may need a pilot hole in hardwood plywood. The nice thing here is astraightfully threaded shank with a pan head. The bad is that most that I’ve found are Phillips drive. That straight shank as opposed to the tapered shank on conventional wood screws, makes for far easier installation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree that a straight, parallel shank is highly desirable.I also drill pilot holes for all screws-it ensures they go where intended and in solid wood in particular,it reduces the chance of splitting.House carpenters in a hurry have different priorities.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All - Like Gerry I generally use metal thread screws (cap screws or hex heads) if its on wood machine. I use an intermediate tap so the screw goes into the taper (and snugs up) and I use PVA glue to set the screw. Never loosens and if the screw is long pulls up nicely. But always on the lookout for better...Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12