Anyone got Linuxcnc working with g540 and pci parallel card on diy machine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got Linuxcnc working with g540 and pci parallel card on diy machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone got Linuxcnc working with g540 and pci parallel card on diy machine?

Please don't move this. I know there are sections for the G540 anc Linuxcnc but I want to ask the diy crowd as hardly anyone visits those electronics and software sections.

I finally got around to finishing my diy CNC machine but I can't get any stepper movement at all from my G540.
    I am using a pci parallel port card with Linuxcnc. Linux recognizes the parallel card in the terminal and I put the card address into the Hal file. Linuxcnc opens after the conf wizard ok but nothing moves even when the charge pump is off.

Has anyone here got Linuxcnc working with a g540 with a pci parallel card? If so, how? I'm clearly doing something wrong. The Gecko people told me that most pci parallel cards work with their product but I have tried 4 different ones with no luck.

my latest parallel card uses a 9900 chipset which is apparently "compatible".

My db9 cables were bought in from CNC router parts so it's unlikely to be a wiring issue.

Any help would be appreciated as I am super stuck....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone got Linuxcnc working with g540 and pci parallel card on diy machine?

The Gecko people told me that most pci parallel cards work with their product but I have tried 4 different ones with no luck.
    The G540 doen't "talk" or "communicate" with a parallel port.
    It just sits there waiting for 5V pulses to come through the port.

Your issue is with LinuxCNC and the parallel ports.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone got Linuxcnc working with g540 and pci parallel card on diy machine?

How did you test the G540 Card?
    https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/fi...product_id/14/
    Quote from Step 5 Gecko:
    "If you have holding torque and a green LED you can plug in your DB25 straight through cable to the G540 and your computer." ..So far, so good? Do you have Holding Torque and green led? If yes..than start testing your DB25 Pin Out's from PC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    How did you test the G540 Card?
    https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/fi...product_id/14/
    Quote from Step 5 Gecko:
    "If you have holding torque and a green LED you can plug in your DB25 straight through cable to the G540 and your computer." ..So far, so good? Do you have Holding Torque and green led? If yes..than start testing your DB25 Pin Out's from PC.
    I get a green light and holding torque when the charge pump is off. Red light and no holding torque with the charge pump on. I get no movement from the steppers even with the green light on and holding torque.

I get that my issue is that whatever linuxcnc is outputting is not getting through to the G540. I just don't know what I am meant to do about it as I have already followed all the available instructions with no luck. My cables are from CNC Router parts so it's not a wiring issue.

linux recognizes the Netmos 9900 as a parallel port card (it could not recognize the other 3 I tried). I.e. It comes up as Parallel controller when I type lspci -vv into a terminal. I read that the 9900 chipset has worked with Linuxcnc for another user. I don't understand why it won't work for me.

linuxcnc has no options related to the I/O and nothing useful to say what the issue is. I was hoping another user might say something like "I had similar issues with my pci parallel card and I solved it by doing X Y and Z".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I get a green light and holding torque when the charge pump is off. Red light and no holding torque with the charge pump on. I get no movement from the steppers even with the green light on and holding torque.

I get that my issue is that whatever linuxcnc is outputting is not getting through to the G540. I just don't know what I am meant to do about it as I have already followed all the available instructions with no luck. My cables are from CNC Router parts so it's not a wiring issue.

linux recognizes the Netmos 9900 as a parallel port card (it could not recognize the other 3 I tried). I.e. It comes up as Parallel controller when I type lspci -vv into a terminal. I read that the 9900 chipset has worked with Linuxcnc for another user. I don't understand why it won't work for me.

linuxcnc has no options related to the I/O and nothing useful to say what the issue is. I was hoping another user might say something like "I had similar issues with my pci parallel card and I solved it by doing X Y and Z".
    Did you see my note about step timing in your other thread? I would make sure you have a minimum of 5 usec (5000 ns setting in stepconf))step times
    since the G540 will not work with Geckos specified timing on 3.3V ports

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    Did you see my note about step timing in your other thread? I would make sure you have a minimum of 5 usec (5000 ns setting in stepconf))step times
    Yes. I'm trying it now.

what about the rest of the fields that are normally completed when you select the G540 option? Should they be the same as the g540 setting or left at default?

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have Holding Torque and green led? If yes..than start testing your DB25 Pin Out's from PC.
    Next, test:
    https://wndlpt.sourceforge.io/lpt/
    This Link gives you the Idea how to test with just a one LED.

Double Check the Cable from PC to G540 DB25 is not a Cross over type.

Last edited by machinehop5; 04-10-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: link

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    That did it. It works! Just my luck that the problem would be caused by choosing the G540 option when using a G540....

Thank you so much. I can't even begin to tell you how grateful I am. I've been tearing my hair out on this one....

I feel so relieved to finally see all the axis moving.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Call...PCW Mesa. It's Miller Time Goemon

Downloads
    Uploads

Good Call...PCW Mesa. It's Miller Time Goemon
    Yup. I'm not usually one to celebrate but I have had so many hurdles with this project that, finally seeing it move feels like a real achievement.

That is a pretty nasty trap they have there in Linuxcnc. Without PCW Mesa I never would have figured it out.... I was literally just about to give up on Linux and buy a Centroid Acorn before seeing his post.

When there is a drop-down menu listing your hardware, it stands to reason that you should select that option. I understand the historical reasons why the G540 profile doesn't work with current hardware but surely that warrants a little added note or even a second G540 option for newer 3v set-ups.....

This is the main issue with free software, there is nobody to shout at for stuff like this. This process has taught me that Linux might look like Windows these days but it ain't Windows. When you need to do something it very quickly reverts back to 1989 MS Dos.... the dark days when most people could not use a PC.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think that's a bit unfair, The timings in Stepconf come from Geckos manual,
    which says that G540 inputs are 3.3V compatible
    (they are but the timings the manual provides will not work with 3.3V signals)

Its definitely something that could be improved in stepconf
    (and in general you should not use manufacturers _minimum_ settings)

Downloads
    Uploads

Was this a Hoax..thread? l

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast