Newbie Electronics Enclosure - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electronics Enclosure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electronics Enclosure

Lastly I assume the cabinet should be vented? This build is a wood/plastic router so dust will fly.

Any recommendations on how to vent, add makeup air to the cabinet to keep things reasonably cool? Should I order the cabinet with the bottom "gland"?

Downloads
    Uploads

I put the fan in the top portion of the box, blowing out. Had air inlet openings at the bottom about 1.5 times the area of the fan and taped a HVAC register filter over the openings. Change it like once a year.

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: Electronics Enclosure

Well I picked up a 20x20x8 cabinet. My plan is to carry over this cabinet over from this build to a future build if I go that far. So I'm leaving space for a potential VFD.

For these two 34V PSU with fan, is there any considerations when installing them, orientation? Any lessons learned? Any general advice on cabinet layout?

Electronics Enclosure-controlcabinet01-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    Well I picked up a 20x20x8 cabinet. My plan is to carry over this cabinet over from this build to a future build if I go that far. So I'm leaving space for a potential VFD.

For these two 34V PSU with fan, is there any considerations when installing them, orientation? Any lessons learned? Any general advice on cabinet layout?

Electronics Enclosure-controlcabinet01-jpg
    Fans on the bottom pulling fresh air into the enclosure vent on the top just put filters in front of the fans and use a filter for the vent. Also you want more air coming in than exiting, the enclosure should become pressurized. You also want all the items that put out alot of heat mounted at the top. And keep ac power away from dc power and the electronics also keep the VFD away from the drivers and control board.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Project_Hopeless View Post
    After thinking about it for a while I might go 16x16 with the Yuco. I'm thinking possibly the 6" deep version. How far off the panel does the back plain sit?

I'm trying to keeps things relatively cheap being a hobby build. My thought was to wire the steppers and control board directly to the drives, limits to the control board. Then have a minimum number of terminals to distribute power. Are there any concerns with this approach?
    Point to point wiring isn’t a bad thing but it isn’t always ideal. For something like power supply to drives you really want individual wire sets from the supply to each drive. In other word don’t daisy chain power supply connections to high current loads. For other things like commons for a bank of relay coils it is fairly common to daisy chain the grounded conductor. If you expect to have DC supplies for things like limit switches and such then it is advisable to have a bus of power supply connections.

I know this is for a hobby based machine but you want it to be safe. In this regard you need to be mindful of the load on the various wires in a machine. Even for AC this needs careful consideration, things like Neutrals should be numbered and only used for the fused sub circuit they are derived for. I’ve actually have seen terminal blocks melted out of a machine because an engineer didn’t pay attention to the loads place on a neutral wire. The likely hood of this happening on a home built router is low but still one needs to be midful of what is happening g current wise in a wire.

Downloads
    Uploads

These are all pretty good suggestions. I might suggest though that having the fan blow directly over the drives is an advantage. Also most panel boxes end up having lots of cables laying on the bottom of the panel box. To that end a side mounted lower fan might be a better move.

Other things to consider is a disconnect / lock out switch. In a home setting this might be very important if there are lots of very young kids around. Space should be allocated for either circuit breakers or fuses for the major components. Being that I do a lot of industrial maintenance make sure you have room for test gear. Sooner or later something will need debugging and an overly cramped panel box is a big problem with maintenance.

By the way maintenance issues especially apply to anything DIN rail mounted. I’ve seen it happen literally thousands of times where DIN rail clip on products end up to tightly mounted to the point that you can’t get to the release clamp. It is like the expect that a item will never fail. This of course is the classic struggle of fitting 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Fans on the bottom pulling fresh air into the enclosure vent on the top just put filters in front of the fans and use a filter for the vent. Also you want more air coming in than exiting, the enclosure should become pressurized. You also want all the items that put out alot of heat mounted at the top. And keep ac power away from dc power and the electronics also keep the VFD away from the drivers and control board.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12