where to buy an electronics enclosure box

Thread: where to buy an electronics enclosure box

Downloads
    Uploads

Default where to buy an electronics enclosure box

I am in the process of completing a router build and I am looking for an enclosure for the electronics. I think I need something like 18x18x6 or so.
    Where can I find a reasonably priced metal enclosure?
    Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: where to buy an electronics enclosure box

To buy off the shelf can be pricey, in the past I have picked up Hoffman and the like off ebay, in many cases they often have terminals strips, disconnect, fusing and the odd display.
    They come with a few holes in them maybe, but it can be overcome.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe EBay? But Automation Direct offers free 2 day shipping on most orders over $50

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Try Amazon , I got a nice one deep enough for my VFD, with a back plate and all metal. Door and back panel had a ground wire, door came off the hinges and it was around $100 or so.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Check a electronics surplus store, that`s where I got mine $20.00
    mark-s

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mark-s View Post
    Check a electronics surplus store, that`s where I got mine $20.00
    mark-s
    got a URL?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    To buy off the shelf can be pricey, in the past I have picked up Hoffman and the like off ebay, in many cases they often have terminals strips, disconnect, fusing and the odd display.
    They come with a few holes in them maybe, but it can be overcome.
    Al.
    what do you use as a search arg? Been all over ebay and amazon and craigslist but the best I have found is a first aid box.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is what I got from Amazon, see its no longer sold and I do not think the 8 inch deep one is deep enough for the VFD.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

It depends upon what your goals are. As others have pointed out used is often a good path for a DIY project. Used implies holes you don’t want and maybe a Swiss cheese sub panel. However you might score a disconnect switch and other goodies.

New NEMA rated boxes are fairly easy to get from a local supplier to the electrical contracting industry. This may have to be ordered depending upon the size. You can find these boxes in steel, aluminum, fiberglass and plastics. One thing to watch out for is that the panels that (component mounting plates) go inside are often sold as a separate item.

Distributors to the electronics industry often have a varied collection of boxes though they might not be of the NEMA rated kind. Digi-Key, Newark and others come to mind here. The electronics world also offer an alternative in EIA rack compatible enclosures. EIA-310 is the standard. Like industrial panel boxes this stuff shows up used very often. It is a more modular approach as compare to everything in one box, you end up with multiple rack mounted boxes linked together in most cases.

Going back to the more traditional NEMA rated panel box, there are now a huge number of dealers online these days. Even Amazon has them. The only one I’ve dealt with (PLC’s and AC drives is Automation Direct and in the distant past Newark.

Finally after you estimate all the space you think you need, increase that number some. It seems to be a common problem in the automation world of running out of space. That and you will need a fan mounted in the box. Some engineers will add 50% though that might be excessive for a home build.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine from ebay. It was depressing looking at all the high prices but if you are diligent, you can pick one up at a reasonable price. A lot of them will have an offer button so you can throw in a low price and see if they bite. Watch out for the shipping price and don't over pay for that. Also, depending on the enclosure, some are made to use a back plate so see if it comes with one or how much one will cost. You can find them on ebay as well. Mine was a heavy nema 12,13 Hoffman enclosure. Then a bought a back plate. Get one bigger than you think you will need. I cut a piece of cardboard the size of my back plate and laid out all my electronics on it to find the best layout before I mounted everything to the back plate. I used din rails to mount everything on which makes it nice.

I repurposed an old computer enclosure. Drill out the rivets of the things you don't need. Was strong and had plenty of room.