Fixed position Dust shoe with ATC

Thread: Fixed position Dust shoe with ATC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fixed position Dust shoe with ATC

I am working on my dust shoe for my machine, I want it at a fixed height so that I can collect as much dust as possible. But I also have an ATC.

I think at one point I saw some sort of system where the dust shoe would move with the spindle and once it was close to the ATC, it would open a door and stop. The spindle would move out of the dust shoe, change tools, and move back to the dust shoe, the door would close and it would continue routing with the dust shoe moving along with the spindle.

Am I crazy? dreaming? or is there something like this?

I was thinking of doing something like this, adding linear bearings to the X rail, and putting a hard stop for the shoe and holding it in place with magents.

Thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fixed position Dust shoe with ATC

Quote Originally Posted by TTalma View Post
    I am working on my dust shoe for my machine, I want it at a fixed height so that I can collect as much dust as possible. But I also have an ATC.

I think at one point I saw some sort of system where the dust shoe would move with the spindle and once it was close to the ATC, it would open a door and stop. The spindle would move out of the dust shoe, change tools, and move back to the dust shoe, the door would close and it would continue routing with the dust shoe moving along with the spindle.

Am I crazy? dreaming? or is there something like this?

I was thinking of doing something like this, adding linear bearings to the X rail, and putting a hard stop for the shoe and holding it in place with magents.

Thoughts?
    I'm in a similar boat. I decided to punt on dust collection for phase one, and revisit it once I have everything assembled and can see all of the physical constraints. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) that's rapidly approaching. I'm working on getting the tool-change positioning logic working now, so I'm nearing the end of the construction phase, and it's almost useful. My first couple projects will be in aluminum, so the dust shoe will be less important anyway.

I've seen dust shoes on linear bearings parallel to the Z axis, with their own motor to lift out of the way for tool changes and then drop back down when done, but that sounds like a pain. Plus for my setup it'd probably require that the dust shoe either be completely open at the back or be hinged (and even more complicated).

I'd love to see what others have come up with.

I too have punted...but I have a new 3D printer in the house and a floating (fixed height) dust shoe is going to be one of my first big projects for the printer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I found the video I was thinking of. It shows the dust shoe, but not how it works on the rails. It's an AXYZ, but I'm not sure of the model