What Part To Start ? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What Part To Start ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What Part To Start ?

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I looked at there plasma tables, you posted about, do you really think they are good for that price no Plasma or torch is in that price and are not even using half decent linear rails, that's a step back to hobby level for most plasma machines using a rail system like they are
    What's better for the price?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    What's better for the price?
    They are out there every where at 1/3 the price that will do the same job, there is not $16,000.00 in that machine the new router they are building, the Gantry is of very poor construction, they are not machine designers they are fabricator's there is a big difference, when it comes to building a machine that needs to perform as you have found out with your own Router you brought, anyone can weld some pieces of tube together

Here is one of many that will be good enough for any Plasma job, they are dime a dozen out there, a Plasma machine is something any hobby guy can build with ease, there is nothing that has to be as precise as a router build

They can be light weight construction as there is no loading or cutting forces on any of the axes of movement, Z axes in normally just an air cylinder for up/down

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Part To Start ?-plasma-table-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

With THC the Z needs to have a stepper motor and its controlled like the rest. You don't need linear rails as the machine will soon be covered with plasma dust and slag. I owned and operated one for 4 years, not rocket science to build a decent one.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

I mostly disagree with the thread of your arguments.
    There are zero light, good, industrial machines being made and sold.
    Zero.

Big is one thing.
    Relatively heavy is another.

Yes.
    So ?

No.
    Adding mass and stiffness is the only solution.

Disagree.
    Here are my facts.

Industrial robots are not heavy, and very very flexible, and not at all rigid.
    An ABB150 series robot, 80 cm reach, 400 kg, has about 0.3 mm precision, and about 20-100x too little rigidity for cutting alu as a router.
    So it is not accurate, not repeatable, not rigid, and not heavy (for the work envelope).
    About 100k€ with actuators and all-in.

A HAAS UMC has about 80% of the work envelope in 2-3 axis, and 20% on the rotaries.
    It is about 4000 kg, 0.002 mm repeatability, and 20-50 kgf/um rigidity, depending.

About 100x - 500x more rigid per linear axis, rated around 1500 kgf max push force.
    And around 300-600 Nm rotary torque.
    Probably around 50-200x the ABB robot.

--
    For example.
    The best, most rigid structures known today are commercial optical tables.
    They may use carbon fiber tubes - for mass reduction.
    With thick granite top and bottom plates.

The whole table system is very thick, and this allows extremely good stiffness vs mass and cost.
    Nevertheless the table is usually metric tons in mass for a 1x2 table.

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi WMG - Please don't say a big machine is a real machine.

The issues with a benchtop machine are the same as a machine that cuts aircraft wings. I have a benchtop machine at the moment which is sliding my table in the garage. The faster something accelerates or decelerates the more inertial effects it has.

Adding mass is the easiest solution not the smartest solution that's all I can say.
    All the machine structures vibrate especially when moving. If something exists it has a reason to be there, totally agree.

In my early career I ran industrial robots and they are lightweight machines that move exceptionally fast. They have to be bolted to the ground or to a suitable structure which is bolted to the ground.
    They maintain very tight accuracy at very high speeds.

I appreciate inertial forces quite well. I've punched through several steel safety barriers in my time with a robot. Sorry Jake we have moved along from your question, how are you travelling now? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Hanermo - I am not designing or making an industrial grade machine. I am designing a Maker grade machine. I am designing the best 2400x1200 Maker kit possible. It can't weigh tonnes as I have to ship it around the world flat pack. It will be something like a shopbot or a CNCrouterparts type machine. If someone asked me to design an Industrial machine I would. I view the process as a challenge and an investigation into what's possible. It's already shown up a brilliant design thesis that all machine designers should have and given me a good direction for modelling bearings that I did not have before. Adding mass is an easy thing to do at the end of designing it as light as possible. Removing mass at the end is nearly impossible. In general I am a mechanical/structural designer/engineer. None of my clients ask me to make heavy things. From 500g bicycle frames, carbon fibre yachts to 50 tonne trailers carrying 900T trucks they all ask me to remove weight yet achieve their performance criteria. That's the workspace I live in. I'm happy you agree with some things and happy to keep you entertained and it's great your participating. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter, how far are you with the design of your machine? I am truly interested as you seem to have a different perspective on some design approaches.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a router project that is moving along quite nicely the OP should be interested in this build as it relates to what he wanted to do himself

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...75066-cnc.html

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    Hi Peter, how far are you with the design of your machine? I am truly interested as you seem to have a different perspective on some design approaches.
    Hi Davida1234 - Commercial work has slowed it. But it gives me time to think through the design. Next step is to start Round 2 which is from scratch including the motion parts. I also have to decide on the actual size of the cutting space. There will be bursts of activity on the weekends. Wednesday I make things on my Router called Scoot & sort out the Z drive on Brevis my benchtop machine. I want to retire Scoot and replace it with Maximus....follow the Maximus thread its up to date.Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

I though the Scoot design might have some problems with the tall gantry, long z-axis and short linear rail block spacing

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi David - ask these questions in the Maximus thread. This is Jakes thread. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Here is a router project that is moving along quite nicely the OP should be interested in this build as it relates to what he wanted to do himself

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...75066-cnc.html
    That is an awesome build!
    I am still in the Fusion 360 rabbit hole, but it is really cool.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JakeInCharlotte View Post
    That is an awesome build!
    I am still in the Fusion 360 rabbit hole, but it is really cool.
    I thought it would be good for you to see this build, that this can be built by anyone that wants too, this is a good example and over all a very good build, the machining also proves not to be a problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Em..
    You are extremely talented and at the top-end of industrial designers if you are participating in the design of carbon-fiber yacht hulls.
    These tend to be pre-preg today for manufacturing and custom ovens/baking for the bigger ones racing.
    All use vacuum infusion.
    Pre-preg is frozen cf substrates with epoxy that the customer bakes into shape in their facility.
    I cast no aspersions and make no snide comments.

But CF yacht hulls for 15 years have a dismal record.
    They break, fail, don´t last, despite 50M$ budgets for a single yacht (americas cup, fastnet, others).
    Yacht loads are not well understood, today, and no current FEA sw and design practice has done well with them.
    I believe 1.5 years ago one of the maxi hulls broke apart in testing, no storm, australia maybe.

Imo, the problem is that yacht loads are 5x bigger in torsion than expected and 100x higher in common impact loads due to waves/wind/speed/mass acting against each other.
    The dashews website setsail had data on 3-5g loads acting on their alu hulls, of 28 metric tons, 24 m, FPB Wind Horse.

A modern VMC, 1 m table, VF3//, 1.5 kW servo, 1000 kg table, will react in 1 ms.
    So will my shop built vmc, with 200 kg table and 200 kg of stuff on it.

The inertial load is huge, but that does not mean the machine frame has anything to do with it.
    Modern VMCs are bolted to the floor, but not tight.
    They are bolted loose/light to achieve a flat table/machine frame.
    According to haas manuals, training, and the 4 millwrights I had working while selling 65 machines.

And most-all other brands, where the (industrial engineer) millwrights had worked at least 10 years.
    And the extensive training I/we got at the factory and our shop, as the biggest/best haas hfo in the world.
    Trained by the best guys in the world, who designed the new (ST series) machines (Hi Miltons!).

---
    Example.
    Milling machine, cheap tech.
    400 kg mass for my old mill table was absolutely nothing with Nema 23 steppers, 48V, 3Nm, 1:3 HTD belts.
    Push force approx 600 kgf, 6000 N.
    More than 1G acceleration, and mills need less (quite a bit less).

It juddered and had extreme response speed, quite similar or better to a HAAS, at 1 ms response, with a 100€ pokeys controller, 125 kHz.
    And an MPG, 100 counts.

I switched to 400W ac servos for commercial reasons.
    1.3 Nm cont, 3.9 Nm peak, 3000 rpm, 5000 count, 400 kHz+.

And I may go to direct-drive, again for commercial reasons only.
    The stuff needs to look-good on paper, thus it must use modern commercial-type stuff.

The belt drives got 1 micron resolution, and direct drive might struggle with that at 5 mm screw rise, on new 32/5 screws.
    I expect actual resolution to be 1-2-4 microns, with 1 micron repeatability being achievable via clever programming or fixtures and hard stops and external digital 1 micron readouts read back into programs.
    My goal is 1 micron feature accuracy on small work cubes.

I did not say "accuracy" overall of 1 um or general resolution of 1 um.
    The lathe has 1 um resolution, using 750W servos of 10.000 counts.

When I get a spare 3k, the VMC might get the upgraded servos as well.

I try to explain my reasoning, not be "better".

Hi Hanermo
    From 500g bicycle frames, carbon fibre yachts to 50 tonne trailers carrying 900T trucks they all ask me to remove weight yet achieve their performance criteria. That's the workspace I live in. I'm happy you agree with some things and happy to keep you entertained and it's great your participating.
    Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

But CF yacht hulls for 15 years have a dismal record.
    They break, fail, don´t last, despite 50M$ budgets for a single yacht (americas cup, fastnet, others).
    Yacht loads are not well understood, today, and no current FEA sw and design practice has done well with them.
    I believe 1.5 years ago one of the maxi hulls broke apart in testing, no storm, australia maybe.

Imo, the problem is that yacht loads are 5x bigger in torsion than expected and 100x higher in common impact loads due to waves/wind/speed/mass acting against each other.
    The dashews website setsail had data on 3-5g loads acting on their alu hulls, of 28 metric tons, 24 m, FPB Wind Horse.

Hi Hanermo - Thankfully my work in car parts, bicycles, hulls, masts and rigging has not had any failures that I know of in the 30 years I have been playing around with CF. Yacht loadings have been underestimated for decades. Its a battle to create objects that are the required weight yet be strong enough in any racing machine. Plus in the decades past composite materials have not been understood well or made well. This has changed in the last 10 years however. Happy to set up a thread to discuss these if asked. FE can and does a good job of modelling composites I do it alot. A friend has just given me a stack of CF offcuts so may make some CF parts for maximus... but do remember that aluminium, steel and timber racing boats also did fail, it's the nature of the game. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Just one further comment on FEA and boat design if I may;in about 1980 Ron Holland published a screenshot of one of his IOR boats as a mesh to demonstrate the use of FEA as an aid to efficient boat design and it was the first reference I recall.I suspect more recent failures have been because of a desire to go light and to underestimate shock loads.

To divert back to router design.I asked a bit earlier about resonance and ballscrews with reference to the resonance changing with respect to the position.To clarify a little further I was interested in knowing whether the position of the ball screw changed the resonance of the structure in much the same way that moving one's fingers on a guitar changes the frequency of the note produced.I appreciate that the natural frequency of the portion of the screw on either side of the nut will change,but does it infuence the whole structure?I suppose the nature of the cutter itself has an impact as we might be using a single flute,twin flute or even four flute tool with the consequent change in the frequency of edges entering and leaving the workpiece.Probably not something that will have too much impact on hobby machines but I expect it would increase in significance as the machine grows-say to the size where full size boat hulls are being machined.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Routalot - In all racing type activities failures are expected but all reasonable efforts are taken to prevent them. We also have aircraft accidents that kill a lot of people and we investigate and learn from them yet air travel is the safest travel we have. The yacht industry tends to bury these things vs investigating them and letting the industry benefit from the events. Accidents and failures are complex events and we will continue to have them.

Machine resonance - The whole machine is a big guitar with each bit prone to vibration at its natural frequencies. If it gets excited by some input at that freq it will vibrate then it will dampen according to its material properties and its surrounding contact conditions (visco elastic conditions) same as a guitar sound board and back vibrate differently. All structures vibrate. Bridges vibrate, some have fallen down in the past due to aerodynamic loads and uncontrolled vibration. Airplanes have issues with "flutter" and fall out of the sky, routers have issues with tool loadings and machine movement. Its all a symphony or a cacophony!! All of these are well known and understood events. We have the tools and the resources to solve and answer all of these things. I'm sure Mazak, HAAS and all the other machine makers have engineers like myself slaving away at each problem current and future. We are entering a new paradigm of machine design and build. Cast iron will be replaced by printed parts that are internally honeycombed and will be 50% the weight of current machines yet are faster, damper and stiffer. Titanium printed parts are showing up all over the place and its ideal for machine tool parts. By 3D printing we can control the loadpath in a part and how it is damped at the same time. You heard it here first? Lecture ends here. Peter

By the way a company has just released a desktop 3D metal printer very exciting...

https://www.titomic.com

Last edited by peteeng; 04-11-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Routalot - In all racing type activities failures are expected but all reasonable efforts are taken to prevent them. We also have aircraft accidents that kill a lot of people and we investigate and learn from them yet air travel is the safest travel we have. The yacht industry tends to bury these things vs investigating them and letting the industry benefit from the events. Accidents and failures are complex events and we will continue to have them.

Machine resonance - The whole machine is a big guitar with each bit prone to vibration at its natural frequencies. If it gets excited by some input at that freq it will vibrate then it will dampen according to its material properties and its surrounding contact conditions (visco elastic conditions) same as a guitar sound board and back vibrate differently. All structures vibrate. Bridges vibrate, some have fallen down in the past due to aerodynamic loads and uncontrolled vibration. Airplanes have issues with "flutter" and fall out of the sky, routers have issues with tool loadings and machine movement. Its all a symphony or a cacophony!! All of these are well known and understood events. We have the tools and the resources to solve and answer all of these things. I'm sure Mazak, HAAS and all the other machine makers have engineers like myself slaving away at each problem current and future. We are entering a new paradigm of machine design and build. Cast iron will be replaced by printed parts that are internally honeycombed and will be 50% the weight of current machines yet are faster, damper and stiffer. Titanium printed parts are showing up all over the place and its ideal for machine tool parts. By 3D printing we can control the loadpath in a part and how it is damped at the same time. You heard it here first? Lecture ends here. Peter

By the way a company has just released a desktop 3D metal printer very exciting...

https://www.titomic.com
    Just so you can catch up they have had 3D metal printers for more than 20 years and not much has changed with there design, laser sintering has been used for a long time the use of Titanium is not new, even Hobby 3D printers can use materials such as carbide Inconel titanium just to name a few

Stick to what this thread is about

Mactec54

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234