Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?

Thread: Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?

I recently replaced my router with a spindle and need to come up with something to manage the power cable to the spindle due to its central location.

I don't have a lot of slack in the cable so I'm pretty much stuck with the general position so I'm looking for some ideas or suggestions... the cable is too thick for tight radii so I had abandoned my original setup.

Attachment 413300
    Attachment 413302

Adam,

Similar Threads:
    G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?

This sucks as I’m getting invalid attachments.

Given that I really don’t know the specifics here you have basically two choices. One is a drag chain. The other is the use of flexible electrical tubing. It is good that you are concerned about bend radius but not having enough cable works against a robust install. You may very we’ll end up needing a new cable to install these options properly.

Flexible electrical tubing suitable for CNC work generally has a larger bend radius than a drag chain. This requires more thought into how it is installed. More so you really want to stay away from the minimal radius. However if an arraingement can be found the minimizes bends and is of modest travel ( think Z axis here) you can get good long lasting protection for your cables.

Drag chains, especially the “open” ones, have the negative aspect of collecting junk or searching. This junk can accelerate cable wear. However on relatively long axis you don’t have much of a choice. A totally enclosed drag chain adds a bit of cost. The bend radius on drag chains is basically a hard parameter. Thus you need to design around the specific chain you select or get premature wear or breakage.

Unless the drag chains are designed for clean rooms you get a lot of particulate matter coming off the chains and cables as they wear. In some cases I’ve seen designers resort to using large diameter urethane tubing to support cabling in a clean room. The problem is this isn’t self supporting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply Wizard.

[QUOTE]Flexible electrical tubing[/QUOTE

Are you referring to a PVC type product, similar to this?

https://www.controleng.com/articles/...-applications/

Is PVC conduit rated for continuous movement that a CNC would generate?

I believe the biggest problem I have is the "Self supportive" properties of echain that I'd be missing...

Adam.

G540, Rack and Pinion Drives-X/Y axis, 1/2-Ball Screw-Z Axis w/THK HSR 25 Linear Slides, Steppers KL23H2100-35-4B, Power Supply-KL-600-48

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adam_m View Post
    I recently replaced my router with a spindle and need to come up with something to manage the power cable to the spindle due to its central location.

I don't have a lot of slack in the cable so I'm pretty much stuck with the general position so I'm looking for some ideas or suggestions... the cable is too thick for tight radii so I had abandoned my original setup.

Attachment 413300
    Attachment 413302

Adam,
    If you have the wrong cable that does not have a flex rating then you will have to change it as it won't last very long if it does not have a flex rating, your attachments don't work

What Kw is your spindle??? I will give you the correct cable spec's you need for your Spindle

No you can not use the PVC Conduit for anything that has movement

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=adam_m;2267142]Thanks for the reply Wizard.

Flexible electrical tubing[/QUOTE

I believe the biggest problem I have is the "Self supportive" properties of echain that I'd be missing...

Adam.
    No that PVC Conduit you posted is only good for stationary installs

You can use this PMA Tubing but will need some supports

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-pmaflex-tubing-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54, is that a slit conduit? From what I can see, it looks closed. Would be a pain to modify anything later on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    mactec54, is that a slit conduit? From what I can see, it looks closed. Would be a pain to modify anything later on.
    No they are closed is what you would want it to be, you can get it with a slit, but for this use you would want it closed they have all the mounting hardware for this PMAFLEX as well

You can also slit it your self if you had a need

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-pma-pdf  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the posts.

I've got Igus 14/4 cable and a 3.5KW spindle.

I've not heard of PMA tubing off to do some research...

What are you referring to when you mean "but will need some supports"? I assume unlike echain its not self supporting... how do people deal with supporting wires when there is nothing to hang from?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the posts.

I've got Igus 14/4 cable and a 3.5KW spindle.

I've not heard of PMA tubing off to do some research...

What are you referring to when you mean "but will need some supports"? I assume unlike echain its not self supporting... how do people deal with supporting wires when there is nothing to hang from?
    IGUS sells it , for supporting they have many kinds of fittings you could use, they have snap clamps that fit the conduit, that you use to support it where needed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-bvh-1700-support-clamp-png   Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-vnd-m207gt-coupling-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=adam_m;2267142]Thanks for the reply Wizard.

Flexible electrical tubing[/QUOTE

No not at all, you will want to avoid all flexible conduit that is designed for static installations. Something similar to this: International Metal Hose - Flexible Conduit, Tubing and Hose might be worth looking into. The tubing should be marketed for dynamic usage in CNC machines.
    Well the one linked isn’t. Most of the tubing I’ve seen that is rated for CNC usage isn’t PVC.

Adam.
    That self supporting quality of drag chain makes it the best choice for your long axis. Flexible conduit will work in the shorter areas of a machine like the Z axis. Just because it isn’t self supporting (compared to drag chain) doesn’t mean it isn’t stiff.

There is no perfect cable management system. I through out the flexible conduit idea because there are some advantages along with disadvantages.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=mactec54;2267406]
    Thanks for the reply Wizard.

No that PVC Conduit you posted is only good for stationary installs
    This is something that is very important to understand for people new to these products. There are many flexible conduit solutions out there that are never intended to be used dynamically on CNC systems. In some cases these products wouldn’t last an hour on even a modest CNC.

It is very important to buy systems that are actually rated for the work load.
    You can use this PMA Tubing but will need some supports
    I might suggest that tubing is best used where you can get away without supports. Short excursion axis like the Z may be serviced with a tubing solution anchored at both ends. You might as well forget about such tubing on a long X axis unless you can mechanically guide it.

The big advantage with tubing in my mind is that it is a cheap way to protect wiring 100% from swarf chips. At least compared to a sealed drag chain.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is pretty nice, but a little spendy
    https://www.igus.com/info/energy-cha...advantages-com

Downloads
    Uploads

So I ultimately just stuck with e-chain since I had it at my disposal and it seems to be doing what it's designed for.

I fabricated an angular bracket for my Z axis and ultimately will attach it at the spindle end - but for now it seems to be adding some rigidity to the cable. I also cut the Z motor mount to avoid any potential issues with it as well.

Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-img_3668-jpg
    Suggestions for echain/cable mgmt?-img_3669-jpg

Appreciated all the suggestions.

Adam,

Downloads
    Uploads

I made one. Inexpensive and works well.
    DIY Cable Carrier Tray - WoodWorkerB

WoodWorkerB
    WoodWorkerB.com