A how to do this question...

Thread: A how to do this question...

Default A how to do this question...

I'm going to cut a box to hold two of the pens that I've turned. I need the lip of the lid to fit over the bottom. Obviously I can't make the outside of the bottom and the inside lip of the top the same dimension as they likely won't fit together. My question is how much extra dimension should I allow for the top lip so that the top will be snug, but will easily fit? Not sure of the wood that I'm going to use for the box, but it will be wood.

Tnx!!!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A how to do this question...

Tough question!

If I understand this correctly you want a lid that slips over the base box. As you likely already know I ne big issue is dimensional change I wood that results from moisture content changes. This varies with spiecies so a precise answer isn’t possible. Personally for this type of kid I’d work towards a looser fit with maybe 0,020 to 0,050” clearance. That however would be noticeably loose on the flip side it should never frustrate the user. Too loose though could likely look to be shoddy. Also box size is an obvious factor here.

One thin to look out for is the piston effect if yo get a really precise fit. That is a tighter fit can lead to opening and closing frustration. A small groove can greatly reduce such action acting as a bleed passage.

Default Re: A how to do this question...

The groove to bleed air is a great idea. I could actually do that with a triangle file after cutting out the box. In doing the design for the box, I actually allowed 0.015 clearance. I may redo that to 0.010". i'll have to get out the sand paper if that's not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Tough question!

If I understand this correctly you want a lid that slips over the base box. As you likely already know I ne big issue is dimensional change I wood that results from moisture content changes. This varies with spiecies so a precise answer isn’t possible. Personally for this type of kid I’d work towards a looser fit with maybe 0,020 to 0,050” clearance. That however would be noticeably loose on the flip side it should never frustrate the user. Too loose though could likely look to be shoddy. Also box size is an obvious factor here.

One thin to look out for is the piston effect if yo get a really precise fit. That is a tighter fit can lead to opening and closing frustration. A small groove can greatly reduce such action acting as a bleed passage.