Spindle Recommendation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Recommendation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Recommendation

looking for recommendations to upgrade my Makita router to a spindle. I seen older posts that there are some VFDs which are harder to program? Main reason for a change is how loud my router is at idle. looking for an air cooled unit that would work with 120V.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Phil_Par; 02-11-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spindle Recommendation

I've got the Makita trim router as my spindle. It is loud and the cooling air blown out of the bottom sends wood dust everywhere. Still...I like it. I had a deflector at the bottom that discharges air off the side. I need to put that back on. I also need to design a dust shoe too. I have hearing protection on while the machine is working, so the noise isn't so bad.

The issue in my shop is I don't have 220v available and the 115v options for spindles aren't so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Par View Post
    looking for recommendation to upgrade my Makita router to a spindle. I seen older post that there are some VFDs which are harder to program? Main reason for a change is how loud my router is at idle. looking for an air cooled unit.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

People say that the Hitachi M12VC is one of the quieter routers. But, it is still a brushed router and can't compare to a "real" brushless spindle. There are 1.5/1.75 kW spindles with VFD's that run on 120 volts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not to hijack the tread, but I need some education on 110v single phase VFD's and which spindle I can get for them...

Quote Originally Posted by davida1234 View Post
    People say that the Hitachi M12VC is one of the quieter routers. But, it is still a brushed router and can't compare to a "real" brushless spindle. There are 1.5/1.75 kW spindles with VFD's that run on 120 volts.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    Not to hijack the tread, but I need some education on 110v single phase VFD's and which spindle I can get for them...
    There are a bunch of them on eBay. No clue if they are good or not but they are there. And if you are thinking using a router and SuperPid for speed control, it is very close in price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-2-2KW-110V-WATER-COOLED-ER20-SPINDLE-MOTOR-2-2KW-INVERTER-80MM-CLAMP-PUMP/142999335811?hash=item214b6cb383:g:9a0AAOSwmNlb3M2U:rk:17f:0

Actually I just realized that the link is for a 2.2kW @ 110 volts spindle even! I am not sure I would go for 2.2kW at 110 volts though. That's like 20 + amps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If the spindle is idle shut it off. There is no noise from a spindle that isn’t running.

As for routers they are all noisy.

As for spindles most of the 120VAC ones I know about are low power and Are wanting in some way or another. Given that you can find VFDs that will run small 220VAC motors on 120 VAc. A better approach might be a step up transformer. Better yet put in a 220 volt line in the shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

I replaced my Makita RT0701c with a Hitachi M12VC and it is louder than the Makita. The Makita is the quietest router I've ever worked with. Even if the M12VC is louder, once I start cutting, the cutter is way louder than the router.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can find a lot of threads from people having issues with 2.2KW 120V spindles and VFD's.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was thinking 1.5kw on a 120V(15A) circuit. I will do a little more digging on issues most users have encountered.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'll stick with my RT0701c for now and just put an air deflector at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs427 View Post
    I replaced my Makita RT0701c with a Hitachi M12VC and it is louder than the Makita. The Makita is the quietest router I've ever worked with. Even if the M12VC is louder, once I start cutting, the cutter is way louder than the router.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    You only want to buy a system like this if the VFD Drive has listed 110v / 120v Input which is what your supply is and 220v output they have a doubler built in the VFD Drive, then you can run up to a 1.5Kw 220v spindle, this is the only route to take

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are a bunch of them on eBay. No clue if they are good or not but they are there. And if you are thinking using a router and SuperPid for speed control, it is very close in price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-2-2KW-110V-WATER-COOLED-ER20-SPINDLE-MOTOR-2-2KW-INVERTER-80MM-CLAMP-PUMP/142999335811?hash=item214b6cb383:g:9a0AAOSwmNlb3M2U:rk:17f:0

Actually I just realized that the link is for a 2.2kW @ 110 volts spindle even! I am not sure I would go for 2.2kW at 110 volts though. That's like 20 + amps.
    Yes they are junk and do not work well nobody should buy a 110V 3ph spindle of any size range, these are just made for the newbies that buy them because they don't know any better

Mactec54

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast