Converting Super shop to CNC

Thread: Converting Super shop to CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Converting Super shop to CNC

Did anyone tried to convert old Smithy Super shop to CNC?

It has R8 collet spindle and threaded OD for lathe chuck.

I am thinking about lathe and horizontal mill combo conversion.

Picture is downloaded from e-bay as reference.Converting Super shop to CNC-s-l1000-jpeg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Converting Super shop to CNC

These type of multi-purpose machines typically aren't very good as manual lathes or mills, so probably not the best target for a CNC conversion.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you are talking wood working only and have the ability to fabricate an XYZ assembly it might have limited usefulness. Last i remember the spindle on these didnt have high RPM capability so you maybe limited as to routing capability. You could end up with a dedicated machine for drilling holes. I just don't see a lot of flexibility here.

Sometime ago i contemplated building a horizontal mill to be able to handle large or long pieces to do things like tenons, slots and etc, on beams. The idea of course is that you can get the tenon done in one setup and do so on any reasonably sized beam. The particular design i believe is called a traveling column horizontal boring mill.

Several things kept me from doing the build. Money and time being big issues. However such a mill is far more demanding from an engineering perspective. For one you need a very large spindle to handle long large diameter cutters (you cutter length limits depth of cut). Also building a stiff traveling column solution is a huge step up engineering wise over the common 3 axis router.

Given all of that, i can see where such a machine could be very useful in some wood working shops. If you are doing post and beam construction, furniture stressing bulk and construction similar to post and beam buildings, rustic furniture, large solid wood doors and other things where end working of a part is in order; i can see potential value in such a machine. So i understand at least some applications for such a machine, i just don't see an easy conversion path for the ShopSmith beyond very light duty and limited usage.

Another option for an old ShopSmith is permeant conversion to a vertical mill /drilling machine. You would need free access to a machine shop and cheap materials to even justify this. But if you built a suitable XY slide assembly and mounted the two columns rigidly to that table you could have a light duty CNC drilling machine that could do very light milling work. This assumes a well equipped machine shop and a bit of free time and a willingness to accept compromises. Other wise you would be better off looking towards the used market or doing a conversion on a new Chinese machine.

By the way in industry I've see all sorts of common machine tools adapted for uses they originally were not intended for. Old iron can often be very suitable for such conversions. Unfortunately i see the ShopSmith as being a bit more difficult mainly due to its design.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for taking a time to write a lengthy comment.

I really appreciate it.

Since I already have parts that I can use for this conversion I have decided to do it and have some fun.

This is rough drawing of what i am thinking to do.

I will use smooth stepper and Mach3 to control HobbyCNC 200oz steppers.

10 years ago I built a cnc router so I have some "experience".

Downloads
    Uploads

Z-axis slides, screw and motor are installed.

I used cheep U-bolts and 1" HDPE sheet to attach slides to existing Super shop tubes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made first test part on my Super shop converted to CNC lathe/mill combination.

Very happy with end result.

Downloads
    Uploads

Very interesting! Video would be nice.

By the way the use of HDPE to mount the axis assembly on is totally unexpected. A surprise really but if it works I guess that is all that counts.

One big advantage of horizontal machines it that chip recutting is greatly reduced. This should help surface finish considerably in this implementation.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've daydreamed several horizontal machines, none looked remotely like this
    It always the machine size to work envelope ratio that stops the idea at daydreaming.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

I used HDPE only for prototype and test my idea. Hopefully I will switch to Aluminum plate later on.

I was surprised to see it running this good.

What I like the most about this machine is that I can push it against the wall when it's not used and then just pull it in the middle of garage when I have time to "play" with it.

I will post more pictures later and hopefully some videos.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is how I am planning to mount turning toolholder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I've daydreamed several horizontal machines, none looked remotely like this
    It always the machine size to work envelope ratio that stops the idea at daydreaming.
    I've actually have considered a horizontal build of sorts. The reason was actually to save space working on large beams. In this context a traveling column machine or somewhat like a horizontal boring mill. If you have a focused usage such a machine can actually save you considerable space. Mainly because it isn't practical for most of us to build a machine that can easily handle a 10 or 20 foot long beam. A traveling column machine means that you have a smaller well defined structure to move around while the piece being worked on remains stationary. You end up with a machine primarily focused on tendon work and possibly mortise work where a 12 or 18" work area is good enough.

That is the theory anyways. At this point in time I can't see myself building one before many other things are acquired.

Downloads
    Uploads

Today I discovered problem with my MPG (hand wheel).
    Had to start from beginning and rewire everything. This is what I had to work with.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cheap MPG pendant from EBay and C22 board from CNC4PC.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is video of testing under Mach3 Lathe.

Testing MPG for CNC lathe - Album on Imgur