Need Help! Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 32

Thread: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

  1. #1
    Activation process user834342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Question Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Hi!
    I have a C-Beam based DIY CNC machine and when cutting my last piece the edges or surfaces are very bad. I've have some good results in the past but now not so much. I'm kinda a new to all this so not really sure where to look first in order to solve this.

    I've attached 2 photos showing the material and the chips.

    Controller: Arduino Due and g2core
    Spindle: Makita 700c
    Software: Fusion 360

    Is my tool blunt?
    Backlash?
    Bad choice of Fusion 360 operation?
    Too high feed rate?

    Any input much appreciated!
    Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build-20181206_182015-jpg   Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build-20181206_181952-jpg  


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by user834342 View Post
    Hi!
    I have a C-Beam based DIY CNC machine and when cutting my last piece the edges or surfaces are very bad. I've have some good results in the past but now not so much. I'm kinda a new to all this so not really sure where to look first in order to solve this.

    I've attached 2 photos showing the material and the chips.

    Controller: Arduino Due and g2core
    Spindle: Makita 700c
    Software: Fusion 360

    Is my tool blunt?
    Backlash?
    Bad choice of Fusion 360 operation?
    Too high feed rate?

    Any input much appreciated!
    Thanks
    I’m thinking:
    Dull tool ( get new tool)
    Too aggressive of a plunge cut ( take smaller steps down)
    Dry Cut (maybe add lubricant to smooth cut)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  3. #3
    Activation process user834342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    OK so it's not something obvious then!?



  4. #4
    Activation process user834342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    I had the same problem with a brand new tool so thought it wasn't really the tool.

    Here's an example:
    Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build-img_20180704_131813-jpg

    I also tried a really slow feed/plunge rate.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build-img_20180704_131813-jpg  


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by user834342 View Post
    I had the same problem with a brand new tool so thought it wasn't really the tool.

    Here's an example:
    Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build-img_20180704_131813-jpg

    I also tried a really slow feed/plunge rate.
    Maybe use a Down Cut bit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    Maybe use a Down Cut bit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I. Any see how many down passes you use.
    If you are cutting 3/16 material..... do 5 light passes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9322
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by user834342 View Post
    OK so it's not something obvious then!?
    I don't know about that it looks like the build has lots of problems, what are you using for a spindle

    Post a photo of the whole machine it looks like you have a rigidity problem plus not using some type of coolant, not all machine builds like this can cut aluminum

    Mactec54


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Post a photo of the whole machine it looks like you have a rigidity problem plus not using some type of coolant, not all machine builds like this can cut aluminum
    I agree... there’s a lot of chatter.
    But slow down the feed and plunge rates and add a coolant or at least WD-40


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    Maybe use a Down Cut bit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah but it looks like you should choose a down spiral bit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9322
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    Yeah but it looks like you should choose a down spiral bit


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would not matter what kind of cutter he used if everything is vibrating and jumping around

    Mactec54


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    152
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    It would not matter what kind of cutter he used if everything is vibrating and jumping around
    That has a lot to do with it.
    But the consistency in the burr around the top of the cut shows it’s making an even pass with material being pulled out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9322
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

    Quote Originally Posted by robwiacek View Post
    That has a lot to do with it.
    But the consistency in the burr around the top of the cut shows it’s making an even pass with material being pulled out.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of cutter would you use on a machining center to cut aluminum, the same as what he is using, it's all about the machine and coolant, it looks like his cutter is HSS which destroyed it's self in the first 10 seconds of cutting

    The Endmill is out of the collet to far, by what is showing in the photo, if he is using a trim router or similar the bearings and router are not designed to cut aluminum, so you can't expect it to be great, but should be better than this if setup right and the machine is rigid enough

    Mactec54


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build

Very rough surface finishing recently with c-beam build