Ultra basic machine now running - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultra basic machine now running

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ultra basic machine now running

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Just so you know, you can store files locally also with Fusion 360. You can work offline to an extent. They will get stored in the clould also but can be stored locally. The biggest problem people have with Fusion 360 is the fact that files are stored in the cloud. No way around that and it won't change. People are afraid of having their intellectual property stolen because it is on the cloud. Whether that is a real threat or not is up to the individual and their customers.
    Actually, for me personally the risk of "stolen" prints isn't there. This would be for personal use. It is the fact that the software requires an online connection from time to time and the reliance on cloud storage. The net simply isn't that reliable. Hell I can't even rely upon WiFi at work and that is a facility owned by a large corporation. My access to the net will likely be even more sproadic in the future so Fusion 360 is pointless at the moment.

Like others I've been playing with FreeCAD and other solutions, nothing is perfect but it is hard to justify the limitations Fusion places on me.

Downloads
    Uploads

As I mentioned much earlier in this post,I chose Freecad in the light of my experience with Photobucket. I know that with Freecad I won't be turning on my computer one day to find that the business model has changed and that in future I will need to pay a fee to keep using the service.

I don't have homing on my machine either. If I need to turn the machine off and continue the work on the next day, I'll just move the machine to X0, Y0 and turn it off. The next day I'll turn the machine on, then zero out the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    To clarify,I intend to apply a coat of sanding sealer in due course.The steppers are 230 oz/inch Nema 23 's and have far more power than I can use but I don't think I would want to go smaller.I am operating without homing switches and it works quite well as long as I don't do part of a job and then go back another day after switching off the computer.To make it a bit easier I have placed pencil marks on the machine to indicate where an approximate home position is and when I activate LinuxCNC it insists that I enter a home position before allowing me to do anything.By making sure the marks are in place it is normally quite close.I then use the workpiece to determine a job offset.I have run items that were modelled at a point in space that would be outside the machine's working envelope if the home position was used as a zero datum.By using the "touch off" facility and entering a suitable global coordinate,it all works unless the dimensions of the workpiece exceed the values entered in the machine parameters.

I do have both inductive switches and basic roller actuated physical switches to choose from and intend to use one or the other once I have grasped enough of the necessities of the homing parameter setup and then located the switches and their operating mechanisms.

I strongly recommend downloading some software for engraving and other operations and starting the learning process.F-engrave has been a very useful find for me and I am working at learning more about the Freecad path module.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12