Making flat aluminum pieces

Thread: Making flat aluminum pieces

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Making flat aluminum pieces

Hi all,

I recently ordered all the aluminum for my cnc machine. Largely for the z-axis. Most of it is extruded aluminum flat bar some 3/4" and some 1". Most of the pieces are relatively flat but I know they aren't perfectly flat.

My question is should I face mill all the parts? Or should I only be concerned with where the ballscrews and linear rails/bearing mount to and mill out pockets so those pieces can lay flat. Is there any difference? I'm worried if I face mill the sides that I'll end up with even more warping than what I started with.

I have access to a large cnc router so facing the parts isn't an issue. It's just about twice the work since I'll need to do twice the amount of setups facing each block of aluminum. Will I experience lots of warping even if I mill both sides or will it even out once I minish milling the other side.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making flat aluminum pieces

I would not machine anything more than required! That mostly from not wanting to waste time and tooling. As for potential warping post machining that is a possibility but depends upon many factors.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Making flat aluminum pieces

I'd just machine any mating or indicating surfaces.
    Warping probably won't be an issue as you're dealing with stuff that's at least 3/4" thick, but the larger the width/thickness ratio, the more it will warp. I think if you have warpage you need to get right, you need to do at least 3 setups, top, bottom (possibly twice,), then top again.
    The way you're holding your part factors in a lot too, as it can hold the part flat (clamped down,) or force it to bend (vise) even if it doesn't want to be.