Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Granite and steel gantry router

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    This is really awesome work.
    Thank you for the encouragement.

Here is where I am at as of today:

I did the second round of epoxy to secure the inserts for the Y axis rails two days ago.

Yesterday I used a sharp chisel to scrap off the excess epoxy that ended up on top of the surface plate.

Before
    Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_183324-jpg

And after
    Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_184643-jpg

Here is what the machine looks like with the Y axis rails loosly mounted. I did this as a test fit to make sure the inserts were all in the correct position. I have not yet straightened the rails but I did manage to get them parallel to better than 0.0003 inches as a test. I looks like all the inserts are placed close enough to the correct position that the machine will possible to assemble.
    Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_200438-jpg

The next step will be to remove the gantry and legs so I can set the smaller surface plate on the table of the machine and use it to straighten the Y axis master rail.

I am planning to tighten the bolts that go into the inserts to about 15 inch pounds. This should provide about 300 pounds of clamping force per screw.

I am considering ordering a set of these nema 24 closed loop steppers and high voltage drivers for the machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEMA24-4-5N...t/173695019986

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_200438-jpg   Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_183324-jpg   Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190108_184643-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

That workmanship is positively awesome. You have a lot of patience :-)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very early in my career I worked on lathes for the turning of optical parts. They used inserts in a very similar way to your build. That is they where glued in place. I’m not exactly sure how that was done and in this case they bolted down cast iron plain bearing slides. In any event we got plenty of warnings about avoiding excessive torque on any screw going into an insert. Your inserts look fine for 300 pounds of pull.

In any event keep up the good work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have gotten bad about taking pictures as I work. The machine mostly looks completed at this point so I guess there is not too much to show. I installed the Y rails to about 15 inch pounds of torque per bolt. I used the smaller grade A surface plate I have to straighten them to better than 0.0005 inches over their length. I also got both Y rails parallel to better than 0.0005 inches.

Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190109_205336-jpg

I alinged the gantry tube using three jack screws that stick down through the bottom of the gantry tube and rest on top of the support columns. This was a little tricky as the gantry needed to be alinged in three different dimentions at once. I used my angle block and an indicator to tune the position of each screw until I had an error or less than 0.0005 inches per 6 inches in X and Y directions. The Z axis error is about 0.001 inches over 6 inches.

I left a gap of about 0.1 inches between the columns and the ganrty tube. I filled the gap with the same epoxy grout as before except I used a dryer mix this time of about 35 percent epoxy and 65 precent al oxide grit.

Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190113_143352-jpg

The epoxy needs to cure for another day or so and then I will check the alignment again.

I bought a THK 1510 ground ballscrew from eBay and set it on the table to see what it looks like. It feels preloaded.

Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190113_193518-jpg

I also ordered a piece of aluminum tooling plate for the table. It is 13 x 15 x 1.5 inches.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190109_205336-jpg   Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190113_143352-jpg   Granite and steel gantry router-img_20190113_193518-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12