New Machine Build New 1200 mm linear rails

Thread: New 1200 mm linear rails

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New 1200 mm linear rails

Hello All,

I made a small CNC machine about a year ago - maximum cut area is 395 x 395 mm. Works great ! I've mounted a router, diode laser, and drag knife. Possible the best thing I've ever made. All controlled by an arduino with GRBL, which in turn is controlled by a Raspberry PI and bCNC.

I was browsing Banggood the other day, and saw 51% off 1200mm linear rails, so I bought 4 with the intention of rebuilding for a bigger cutting area. I'd like to be able to made my own kitchen cupboard doors as a first project.

Enough waffle - here's my question : My Y axis currently runs with one stepper motor, and a central lead screw controlling it. I'm wondering if the larger size may require two steppers and lead screws to prevent skewing ? If anyone thinks that would be the case - Is it possible to just add a new stepper driver just run the arduino signals in parallel ?

Many thanks in advance

Julien

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New 1200 mm linear rails

I'm wondering if the larger size may require two steppers and lead screws to prevent skewing ?
    There's a good chance that it will.

If anyone thinks that would be the case - Is it possible to just add a new stepper driver just run the arduino signals in parallel ?
    If the Arduino can supply enough power, then yes, that's one way to do it.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JammyJulien View Post
    Hello All,

I made a small CNC machine about a year ago - maximum cut area is 395 x 395 mm. Works great ! I've mounted a router, diode laser, and drag knife. Possible the best thing I've ever made. All controlled by an arduino with GRBL, which in turn is controlled by a Raspberry PI and bCNC.

I was browsing Banggood the other day, and saw 51% off 1200mm linear rails, so I bought 4 with the intention of rebuilding for a bigger cutting area. I'd like to be able to made my own kitchen cupboard doors as a first project.

Enough waffle - here's my question : My Y axis currently runs with one stepper motor, and a central lead screw controlling it. I'm wondering if the larger size may require two steppers and lead screws to prevent skewing ? If anyone thinks that would be the case - Is it possible to just add a new stepper driver just run the arduino signals in parallel ?

Many thanks in advance

Julien
    Eventually a machine gets large enough to where dual leadscrews are the economical choice for router like precision. There are a number of factors that come into play though. One is the mechanical arrangement of parts. Moving table solution's can get by with one leadscrew far longer than a moving gantry machine.

So ultimately your questions will be answered when you zero in on the machines design.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm running two stepper with one drive each on my X axis (probably what you're calling y axis) to drive two ball screws.

Both drives are linked to the same pin on the Arduino. I'm running this since 18 months and it has been running great.

Two screws / motors would prevent the gantry from racking, especially with a ~1200mm gantry unless your axis is really beefed up!

I found it more practical even economical to put two lead screws on my machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Many thanks Biggs - I'll factor two into my design

Yes...you can control two motors with one port from the Arduino. I'm assuming it's an Arduino Uno which is what I have. I have two motors on my Y Axis and I run the single Y out signal from the Uno into two discreet controllers. Provided the motors are the same and there are no issues with either controller, the motors stay synced. I sometimes run the Y axis up against a stop by hand (there's a stop on both sides of the gantry) and I turn on the controller box, then I'll move the gantry where I want it. That way the gantry is parallel with the X axis.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    There's a good chance that it will.

If the Arduino can supply enough power, then yes, that's one way to do it.