40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router

I'd recommend the CNC Drive controllers. I have both an AXBB-E and a UC300ETH.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

When you don't bother to list your location we assume your USA based. But cheap is cheap everywhere.
    Gecko is US based.

1000x750 Workbee CNC - Mach4 - PMDX USB - Windows 10 Pro

Downloads
    Uploads

Btw, Gecko makes drives, not controllers.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

im staying near china even postage took almost 4 usd only but i still buy us product since i know how problematic is china board if you know any taiwan brand should choose that

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hautamak View Post
    Yes, I have learned from that. If only...

But yeah stepper motors works fine, only inputs are not working. Maybe I'll try something different plugin for that card.

would this controller be good if I can't get that crappy one to run?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVEM-6-Axis...wAAOSwtVxaJhwK
    There are a lot that are using this Ethernet Breakout Board

With your other Breakout Board have you added the 24v power supply it won't work without it

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by teamloks1 View Post
    im staying near china even postage took almost 4 usd only but i still buy us product since i know how problematic is china board if you know any taiwan brand should choose that
    Gecko does make a controller but its a all in one.
    https://www.geckodrive.com/featured-products.html G540 4-AXIS DIGITAL STEP DRIVE
    $269.00 not sure if this would work for you or not. My wife has relatives in Sweden we get packages from them time to time. Sure its not $3 shipping from China that takes 4 weeks.

Frankly I would wait for a recommendation from someone who has actually successfully used one BoB with either Ethernet or USB on here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check out Centroid Acorn, they ship international and have great forum support. You can even buy one from Amazon it's 299 and the pro software is 139. Very easy to use and easy to wire up and like I said a bunch of helpful guys on the forum to get you up and running.

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

G540 is not a controller.

It's a parallel port and 4 stepper drivers in a single package.

The controller is the bit that actually determines the movement of the machine. For many that is Mach3 or LinuxCNC (PC software based).

Downloads
    Uploads

I would also recommend the AXBB-E
    It ships to Finland very fast and without import taxes ( I also live in Finland) and works without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    G540 is not a controller.

It's a parallel port and 4 stepper drivers in a single package.

The controller is the bit that actually determines the movement of the machine. For many that is Mach3 or LinuxCNC (PC software based).
    The Gecko G540 is a controller when connected to a parallel port. Its as much a controller as a BoB is, both need compatible software to run.

Our first multi-axis drive, the G540 is our most popular end-user focused product. Capable of driving four independent motors with its discrete internal motor controls at up to 50VDC and 3.5A per axis, it can move motors ranging from small NEMA 17s to large NEMA 34s. The motherboard has an integrated DB25 connector for connecting directly to a computer via parallel port or a third party motion controller. Motor connections are made through DB9 plugs, which are included with the drive, and current can be set differently on each axis via a current set resistor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    The Gecko G540 is a controller when connected to a parallel port. Its as much a controller as a BoB is, both need compatible software to run.

Our first multi-axis drive, the G540 is our most popular end-user focused product. Capable of driving four independent motors with its discrete internal motor controls at up to 50VDC and 3.5A per axis, it can move motors ranging from small NEMA 17s to large NEMA 34s. The motherboard has an integrated DB25 connector for connecting directly to a computer via parallel port or a third party motion controller. Motor connections are made through DB9 plugs, which are included with the drive, and current can be set differently on each axis via a current set resistor.
    Not at all it is a drive package that only controls the motors no CPU on board

The above Breakout Boards have a CPU that controls the drives very big difference

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Not at all it is a drive package that only controls the motors no CPU on board

The above Breakout Boards have a CPU that controls the drives very big difference
    You are correct. Seems the Gecko is over priced for what it is!!

Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy American, or buy Chinese. Geckos are made in the USA, and subsequently cost much more than Chinese drives.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post

No, the G540 is not a controller. Breakout boards are not motion controllers.

The computer software is the controller.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    No, the G540 is not a controller. Breakout boards are not motion controllers.

The computer software is the controller.

No quite correct a Breakout Board the has a CPU is in control of the machine, the computer is basically redundant at that point, and is only sending the instructions G-code to the onboard CPU, the Breakout Boards that where posted have onboard CPU and are what control the machine

Mactec54

Hello,

Little update for this one:

I bought uc400eth board and mx4660 with it. also going from 24v to 48v. Spindle is going to be 2,2kw chinese air cooled square. VFD is Yaskawa V1000.

So I'm also rebuildin z-axis as it is weakest part in my design. I'm going with 20mm aluminium plate. does this design looks sturdy? (HGR 20 rails and 1204 screw for z and 1610 for x.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router-etu-jpg   40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router-sivu-jpg   40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router-yleiskuva-jpg   40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router-ylh-lt-jpg  

And forgot to mention, but I'm mainly cutting wood and little bit aluminium. Gantry is 70mm thick plywood torsion box made with 15mm ply. I think it is strong enough.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: 40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router

Quote Originally Posted by hautamak View Post
    And forgot to mention, but I'm mainly cutting wood and little bit aluminium. Gantry is 70mm thick plywood torsion box made with 15mm ply. I think it is strong enough.
    I would assume so, thickness helps. But more important for twist/torsion is the effective cross sectional area and internal construction.

It's not pretty but in my design (18mm BB 11 ply) the gantry is actually two torsion sections. Each x-section having an equal height and width ratio.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Nz3NREoAEcawz27A

Far exceeds the needs for wood routing. Haven't got the nerve to try aluminum yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

40mm finnish birch plywood CNC-router-gantry_side-jpg

Next step would be to remove all the plywood :-) The triangle of the gantry side, that is hanging in free air, won't do you any good, so you can take it off, if you want to.

Lars

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123