Looking for a better router spindle drive - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a better router spindle drive

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a better router spindle drive

Thanks for all the input.

I agree with Ger's suggestions for both manual and automatic spindles and should have looked into this before. I am about to begin building a new 6' x 4' machine and will use a Chinese drive on there. Is anyone interested in one of my old routers? The 2 of them are still under warranty and I could sell it rebuilt like new and in Canadian dollars someone on here could get quite a good deal... I only have 1 that is off warranty and costs for repair. I will be taking my old machine off line next year that runs the Hitachi.

I guess rebuilding them takes a press or puller to change out the bearings. And the motors probably last only so long no matter what spindle. Do people do their own maint/repairs on the drives?

Monday post, won't be 100% this morning lol.

btw I checked the previously posted ad and do not want to go with a router again, but thx for the suggestion. Also anything offered in US dollars is very expensive up here and that makes decisions slower at the moment.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a better router spindle drive

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    I guess rebuilding them takes a press or puller to change out the bearings. And the motors probably last only so long no matter what spindle. Do people do their own maint/repairs on the drives?
    Most of the < $1000 spindles and drives are considered disposable by most. Getting a bearing replacement right is a bit tricky from what I've read, and decent bearings aren't cheap. Likewise, troubleshooting a drive is beyond the skills of most, and for the lower cost units it's just not worth the effort.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by justCNCit View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

I agree with Ger's suggestions for both manual and automatic spindles and should have looked into this before. I am about to begin building a new 6' x 4' machine and will use a Chinese drive on there. Is anyone interested in one of my old routers? The 2 of them are still under warranty and I could sell it rebuilt like new and in Canadian dollars someone on here could get quite a good deal... I only have 1 that is off warranty and costs for repair. I will be taking my old machine off line next year that runs the Hitachi.
    I started suspect you will like the upgrade.

I guess rebuilding them takes a press or puller to change out the bearings.

And the motors probably last only so long no matter what spindle. Do people do their own maint/repairs on the drives?

Monday post, won't be 100% this morning lol.
    Never had one apart. How difficult the bearings will be to remain be depends a great deal on the spindles design.
    btw I checked the previously posted ad and do not want to go with a router again, but thx for the suggestion. Also anything offered in US dollars is very expensive up here and that makes decisions slower at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12