New machine, any suggestions?!

Thread: New machine, any suggestions?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New machine, any suggestions?!

Hi guys, i'm pretty new with this stuff and i'm planing to start for beggining a small hoby workshop and if it rolls out good why not a small buisnes ???? i would appreciate it very much if you can "guid me" and help me for cnstructing my cnc and my shop. I have very good knowledge of solidworks and solidcam and i'm learning fusion360 and zbrush. Do i need some other software? I althou have metal working skills and all the tools, and a decent amount of knowledge for electronics. I plan for beggining to make my first cnc router with dimensions of Y1500mm X1200mm Z500mm (rails leingth) with optional 4th axis of 1500mm and some f150 chuck...but the 4th can wait. I plan to make this machine multy perpouse mainly i would use it for wood engraving mostly relief 2.5d and 3d with religius thematic, some alluminium sheet cutting and granite engraving. The forth axis will be used for wooden stairs fence and glass botle engravings mainly ???? i plan to use 2.2kw vfd water cooling chinese spindle. I have many doubths about the design. Help me with this...i don't know what is better for this job to use one nema 34 on x and one on y and nema 23 on z or to make it with 4 nema 23 425oz two on x and one for y and z. My plans are to use ballscrew 1605 on every stepper and sbr16uu. The gantry to be made of alluminium profiles and plates. This is in general the basics of the machine if you have any sugestions for some details or if you have any offers for parts please let me know. Now, don't kill thew rookie in the coments help him ????english is not my native language but i think everything is ok

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Tazdingo; 10-09-2018 at 03:49 PM.

ericks

Default Re: New machine, any suggestions?!

Sounds good.....all the best with your build

Lots and lots of build threads on here. Study all of those as much as you can. I can tell you what a few others here told me....dive in! Just do it and modify your design as you go. Once you build your machine, you'll see things you should have done, and things that work but you want to change. Just part of the process. I've had my machine built for about 2 years now and it does what I designed it to do and what I need it to do.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good advice. Yes, many designs, have a look around. If you are designing parts yourself, see if you can take a modular approach to enable replacement/upgrade parts of a larger scale when you decide to make any modifications or go for larger sizes. Modular meaning common patterns that may be scalable with well placed mounting and motor/screw holes that fit existing baseplates.

Have fun!

Downloads
    Uploads

You may be biting off more than you can handle in one machine. Wood engraving can be done on a fairly light weight machine, granite I don’t know but would imagine a rather stiff machine is required. As for glass never even thought about it.

I would suggest looking through as many build thread as possible and search out people that work in glass and granite. Of course expectations play a role here but I imagine a machine to do all that you want will be on the expensive side. If this is your first build I’d like to suggest focusing on a machine suitable for wood and aluminum. Use this machine to build a machine suitable for granite.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for your advice guys i will make the machine modular that's for sure, as log as modular does not add some heavy cost to the design. by heavy i mean complications and money anyway...i don't plan to open other topics in the forum for my design, i will ask all the questions here just to keep it simple. I was reading about cnc machines designs,electronics,spindles,steppers,bearings and ect. for over a year by now and as much as i continue to discover new solutions i discover x2 "problems" one of them is this.

i can't find a bad side of this concept and yet i don't see many builds of this kind, why ? Lifting the rails on steel rectangular tubes and make the gantry attached on a single plate and the plate on bearings. No aluminium column of 20mm plates of some exotic shapes, nothing. It seems to me like this is the ultimate way to make rigid gantry or it has some hidden flaw that i can't see it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New machine, any suggestions?!-001-jpg   New machine, any suggestions?!-003-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tazdingo View Post
    i don't plan to open other topics in the forum for my design, i will ask all the questions here just to keep it simple.
    Just a thought: there are a million threads here on new machine builds similar to yours with the same design mistakes, same questions, same areas of concern and opportunities for improvement that yours will have. Asking these same questions again without any background reading or research defeats the purpose of having threads kept forever on a forum, and shows a lack of respect for the people who've already answered them. Who, incidentally, will be less inclined to bother answering every next time these questions are asked.

Do yourself a favour. Go spend a few evenings reading through the more recent DIY builds that are similar to what you want and see what's happened in them before you start rehashing the same questions. You may be pleasantly surprised by the amount of questions you don't even have to ask, and the response you get to the ones you do.

Downloads
    Uploads

don't be so dramatic...I won't just ask nonsense and making spam, i just could't find anything about gantry without column

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default question

thanks for your advice guys i will make the machine modular that's for sure, as log as modular does not add some heavy cost to the design. by heavy i mean complications and money anyway...i don't plan to open other topics in the forum for my design, i will ask all the questions here just to keep it simple. I was reading about cnc machines designs,electronics,spindles,steppers,bearings and ect. for over a year by now and as much as i continue to discover new solutions i discover x2 "problems" one of them is this.

i can't find a bad side of this concept and yet i don't see many builds of this kind, why ? Lifting the rails on steel rectangular tubes and make the gantry attached on a single plate and the plate on bearings. No aluminium column of 20mm plates of some exotic shapes, nothing. It seems to me like this is the ultimate way to make rigid gantry or it has some hidden flaw that i can't see it
    Where will you mount your ball screw and stepper motor for the y axis travel.

Your gantry design does look unique,but it might just be a twist on a concept that's been out there a while and you won't know that until you study the build threads. I know there's a desire to get your questions answered quickly so you can get down to business, but you're not building a cookie cutter design here.

don't be so dramatic...I won't just ask nonsense and making spam, i just could't find anything about gantry without column

Downloads
    Uploads

I think, over on the UK CNC forum there are a lot of designs similar to what you have posted. The Fine Line Automation, Saturn machines use a no-riser design.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    I think, over on the UK CNC forum there are a lot of designs similar to what you have posted. The Fine Line Automation, Saturn machines use a no-riser design.
    Yeah, i havent seen any diy/hobby design of this type all of my inspiration was from those induatrial, huge cnc machines. I will search in that segment thanks for you'r advice if you come across of some similar thread please share it with me.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah quite a few examples of similar DIY raised gantry design on mycncuk.

DIY Router Build Logs

It's definitely got rigidity advantages, only downsides that I could come up with when considering what to build for myself was that it's challenging to protect the lower rails from swarf, and it does require a wider machine for a given work area so if you are tight on space like I am it's a bit of a tradeoff on work area vs overall size.

Downloads
    Uploads

i don't know what is better for this job to use one nema 34 on x and one on y and nema 23 on z or to make it with 4 nema 23 425oz two on x and one for y and z. My plans are to use ballscrew 1605 on every stepper and sbr16uu.
    1605 screws are a very poor choice for a machine this size, and will result in a very slow machine.
    Most 425oz motors are slow as well, and are a poor match for 1605 screws. But not all 425oz motors are created equal.
    The drives and power supply also play a large role in performance.

It's hard to say what motors are better, without exact motor specs, and your budget and performance requirements.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

A little more with respect to your design. Having the gantry beam sit close to the X axis rails is not as uncommon as you may think, there are many other samples to heroine here and in commercial machines.

However you are under the misconception that you don’t have risers holding up the gantry. In fact what you have is risers holding up other the gantry and the X axis beams. This is only a stiffer machine if you design it to be such. In my opinion many such implementations would have benefitted from more gusseting on the uprights.

The big disadvantage of such machines is the need to fit parts in the tub so created. It is a poor solution also if you want to do an ATC. Paying attention to machine stiffness in your design and realize these two issue may or may not be an issue, may lead to an acceptable machine. In the end only you will know if the high mounted rails are a problem.

Don’t forget the gantry beam itself and the need for stiffness there.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious want to ask you all. What about machine of this size Y1500mm X1200mm Z500mm using ballscrew 2010 and motor 425 oz-in on each axis will work OK ? Or should have a bigger motor ? Y axis has A slave motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Depends on how much weight you are moving, and how fast you want to go. And of course, how much you want to spend.

You'd get much better performance with a Nema 34 like this, running at 60V, with good drives like Leadshine EM705 or EM806's.
    https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-single-shaft/

If your trying to get the best performance possible from a Nema 23, then I'd just go with the small Nema 34.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)