Hi everyone,

I am choosing to start a thread involving my purchase and rebuild of a 2000 Router Master 52. It is the SM (Spacemaker) model. I have used it a number of times but honestly the software is out of date and it is time for a rebuild of the electronics. Everything else on the machine is great and really robust so I would like to use the steppers, the control box enclosure, spindle, and the power supply.

I am by no means new to the cnc world, but I am unfamiliar with rebuilding the electronics. I have been planning this for 2 years and have done a lot of reading and I am now ready to start into this project. I am looking for some advice and direction from the experts on this forum. I have read so much on this forum, but I know I will need help to make this happen.
The machine will be used in a hobby environment, but I may take it over to our wood shop at a later date if I can make it a reliable cutter. With that being said I want to use the most reliable electronics and good easy to use software. Here are some details below:

I want to run the cnc of my surface laptop. It only has a usb port and I know that may cause problems so I am prepared to use one of my existing computers with a parallel port if this is better. I have another plasma machine that I can use the computer from if that is a better option. I would like to run it from my surface as I am often between jobs and looking for portability in my computer…and my thoughts are the less computers the better right…or wrong? Perhaps a stationary computer would be best?

I am not sure of the best motion controller and software…what do you all recommend? I was thinking mach 4 but I also like to looks of UCCNC. I am wondering what configuration would be the best to work for my application. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great and I will start ordering parts. Basically, what software should I use, what motion controller, what drivers should I use. I also want to use the spindle and have control of it, and would like to add limit switches if possible as I make repetitive cutting. I have very little knowledge on the spindle control and limit switching. I also like the idea of the Z axis bit height metal pin pointer...I cant remember what they are called.

I use aspire, vetric, software for gcode. Truly I am looking for a simple solution, that won’t break the bank and is reliable. I will be upgrading in 5 years to a new CNC with a tool changer as we are in an agreement to purchase another business that will be in need of one. So, I really don’t want to spend more on this machine than necessary but I also don’t like to cheap out on anything I do.

It has a Perske 5.5 HP VS60 router/spindle head running 3 phase power with an invertor for spindle speed control. The machine runs off 220 volts, electronics are 110 volts. I will get a picture asson as possible for the spindle invertor. (picture attached)

The X-Y steppers are Superior KML091S-103 (pic attached)

Would there be any way to use the current pendant or is that just silly as it is quite old?

Any and all advice and comment is appreciated.

I know there has been an exact build thread a few years back so any advice on what went well and what did not would be much appreciated.