Rebuilding an old desktop router

Thread: Rebuilding an old desktop router

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Rebuilding an old desktop router

Hello everyone! So here's a background on myself and what I've got going on. I've been a cnc machinist for about 12 years and probably 6 years ago I purchased a used machine off ebay. I spent some time working on it got it to cut some gcode then decided I wanted to start upgrading some stuff. Well nothing ever happened and it sat in a basement till recently. So first on the list of upgrades was all the electronics. I ditched everything and started over basically. I purchased a gecko g540 a Uc400eth and the uccnc software to go with it. My power supply is a 48v 10a or something like that and now I'm stuck in the wiring of the electronics. Basically I took the wiring diagram from homanndesigns and using paint I erased everything I wasn't planning on usiglng anytime soon. This included the 20a relays for controlling the spindle and the db9s for the limit switch and vfd. So i have a iec power supply from the old build that has a capacitor soldered to it. Is the capacitor to redirect the current to move in 1 direction? I also have a 70cfm fan that was with the original controller I would like to use. It's 115v 60hz 14w and I wasnt sure exactly how to wire it into my system. Do I wire it directly in with my load and my ground on my 48v power supply? I am sure I will have a ton of other questions and as soon as I have time I would like to post pictures of my progress and probably the wiring diagram. Have a great weekend everyone!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rebuilding an old desktop router

to answer some of your questions:

1. A capacitor is an energy storage device and acts to smooth out voltage levels in a power supply. This assumes we are talking about the filter capacitor which is usually the large component on the power supply.

2. AC current is changed into DC via a rectification process. Power supplies suitable for steppers often consist of as little as a transformer, bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor.

3. A 115 VAC fan needs to be connected to a 115 VAC circuit.

A word of advise: the power levels in a CNC controller can kill you!!!!!!! Seriously I'm not sure you are ready to wire up a CNC controller. Before going too far I'd look for a local course on industrial electricity or even home wiring. An alternative is to find a good book. The problem, for me anyways, is being confident that anything discussed is being received properly. Since we don't want dead people on this forum due to communications errors, you might not get a lot of specific information over the net.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response and I appreciate your concern. The answer about the capacitor was very helpful a little more info regarding it, it isn't connected to the power supply at all its soldered to the iec power input. I'm sorry if I used the wrong word. Understanding the importance of safety isn't something I take litely and if I feel uncomfortable or unsure I can always get some professional assistance.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    to answer some of your questions:

1. A capacitor is an energy storage device and acts to smooth out voltage levels in a power supply. This assumes we are talking about the filter capacitor which is usually the large component on the power supply.

2. AC current is changed into DC via a rectification process. Power supplies suitable for steppers often consist of as little as a transformer, bridge rectifier and a filter capacitor.

3. A 115 VAC fan needs to be connected to a 115 VAC circuit.

A word of advise: the power levels in a CNC controller can kill you!!!!!!! Seriously I'm not sure you are ready to wire up a CNC controller. Before going too far I'd look for a local course on industrial electricity or even home wiring. An alternative is to find a good book. The problem, for me anyways, is being confident that anything discussed is being received properly. Since we don't want dead people on this forum due to communications errors, you might not get a lot of specific information over the net.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure it's a capacitor?
    Do you have a picture of the connection?
    If it's on the input (AC) side I doubt it's a cap. Maybe an MOV for surge protection.
    If it's on the output side (DC), a cap would be to add extra storage/smoothing to the PSU output. If it looks like a hack job, it may have been added by someone who didn't know what he was doing and may do more harm than good.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's some pictures of it. From what I can tell the power input and the switches that were used look old but real good quality. Thanks again for the help! Few more days and I'll have the box assembled and hopefully have everything ready to go in.
    Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Are you sure it's a capacitor?
    Do you have a picture of the connection?
    If it's on the input (AC) side I doubt it's a cap. Maybe an MOV for surge protection.
    If it's on the output side (DC), a cap would be to add extra storage/smoothing to the PSU output. If it looks like a hack job, it may have been added by someone who didn't know what he was doing and may do more harm than good.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding an old desktop router-tmp_2375-20180915_0016278196074822499181380-jpg   Rebuilding an old desktop router-tmp_2375-20180915_001700422457205842356842-jpg   Rebuilding an old desktop router-tmp_2375-20180915_001732771968905501627877-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

also here is my mockup wiring diagram. i wanted to put the fan before the e-stop that way i can just switch the e-stop on and keep the fan running. im using a polypropylene junction box for my case so there is no chassis ground. its crude but i think everything looks right.Rebuilding an old desktop router-wiringdiagram-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer525i View Post
    it isn't connected to the power supply at all its soldered to the iec power input.
    That is a RFI suppression capacitor. Basically stops the circuit from singing in the usable radio frequencies.Can't hurt to leave it in place.

Jack.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    That is a RFI suppression capacitor. Basically stops the circuit from singing in the usable radio frequencies.Can't hurt to leave it in place.

Jack.
    Thanks for the help I did like you said and left it. So here's an update I got everything in my junction box and wired up. It needs some rerouting and fastening for the wires but successful. Everything seems to work as it should except the 115v fan. I've checked the voltage coming out of the power supply and it reads exactly what the built in digital read out shows. My goal was to have it wired before the estop with the hope I can estop my system but allow the fan to continue running. Not sure why it didn't work hope to get some more input. Thanks again guys!

Downloads
    Uploads

Your wiring diagram shows using the earth ground on the fan and the 5v PSU instead of the neutral. If that's how you wired it up that would cause issues.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Your wiring diagram shows using the earth ground on the fan and the 5v PSU instead of the neutral. If that's how you wired it up that would cause issues.
    I actually don't have the 5v power supply wired up yet that's the last thing I thought I had it all wired up lol. but i should have my fan wired into my neutral and not my ground? Thanks again!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, earth ground should not carry current.
    The fact that it didn't work is somewhat troubling though, as the earth ground should be bonded to the neutral at some point. It should either conduct just like it's neutral, or trip a breaker/plug if it's GFI. Having nothing happen most likely means either your live and neutral are reversed (not a big deal, but should be fixed,) or your earth ground is disconnected (big deal, means your grounding is useless and unsafe. A broken wire could make the chassis live.)