Name that motor coupling.

Thread: Name that motor coupling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Name that motor coupling.

I'm trying to figure out who manufactured this motor coupling. It's 2" long and 2" in diameter. The bore in one end is 12mm. The other is 14mm. I can't find any beam slit couplings from any of the major manufacturers that are both 2" (or 50mm) diameter AND 2" long.
    Name that motor coupling.-motor_coupling-jpgName that motor coupling.-motor_coupling2-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Name that motor coupling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Automation Direct sells a 2x2 beam style, but they don't have any reducing bushings that small for that unit, but you could make your own reducing bushings. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc.../DC-SBS51-1616

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

If it's aluminum, throw it out. They aren't suitable for CNC use, and break in short order. The stainless ones will last longer, but not as long as 3-part couplings.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john-100 View Post
    Hmm. I don't see any couplings in that doc over 32mm in diameter or 39mm length. Is there another page I'm not seeing?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If it's aluminum, throw it out. They aren't suitable for CNC use, and break in short order. The stainless ones will last longer, but not as long as 3-part couplings.
    I appreciate the warning. And it's one I've heard before. But I have to wonder if this bad luck isn't because of some other factor than them being aluminum. If they are underspecified in terms of torque or if they are taking up too large of a misalignment then that could explain premature failure. I understand that slit beam couplings are especially unforgiving of axial movement. I would be curious to hear more of your experience.

This particular coupling is particularly large in diameter. This implies extra strength. Since couplings in this size range are generally over $100, and I have one in my possession already, I was thinking to see how much another one would cost. I need two for my CNC application.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree on the stainless over aluminum, I would use aluminum for encoder coupling, but not for motor/drive shaft, check out Misumi for a range of couplings. (and other hardware).
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.