work with what you got build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: work with what you got build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default work with what you got build

Here is a photo of my franken build. i got a good deal on 15' of 4" .25 square tube and this happened. i had 3 2' lengths and didn't want to cut them so I just gave my self plenty of Z. The I beam with it's sporty orange paint was $15 bucks and sitting on the 4/5/6 blocks it is within .1mm almost by accident. I'm a bit concerned about how easy the I beam twists. I'd like to weld the ends closed but I'm concerned it will move a lot. I am also considering padding it out from the steel with some aluminum to provide some dampening. The Y gantry beam is 2.5" x .25" squre aluminum. I actually tried to mill in the steel but it bowed about 3/32 due to the stress freed in the cut. I likely could have kept it straight by just skimming the very outer surface but I tried to have a registration shelf for the HG20 rail. The Y plate and Z slide was designed before I had the 4" square tube. I have a 400mm ball screw that I may swap the 300mm ball screw out for to give a bit more total spindle movement. I want to be able easily accommodate a vice.

work with what you got build-20180821_213446-jpg

Need to figure out what to do for the X table. I has been an adventure so far.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work with what you got build-20180821_213446-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: work with what you got build

I can see that you are a tinkerer and builder for building sake, like me.

If I am wrong, please explain your purpose for building and your expected finished product and usage.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hope it will be able to do aluminum accurately (no clue how fast), PCB milling, and wood. No clue what it will look like when it is done but I have all 3 axis moving now and need to adjust the Z height down a few inches. I have it square to about .1mm. X is ~600mm travel, Y is ~ 900, Z is only ~ 200 right now. The close I get the work to the Y fixed gantry the more rigid it should be.

I'm thinking about some bracing to shore up the I beam in a trapezoid configuration that uses the bottom 4" tube to counter twisting. I'm going to get the electronicals hooked up after I lower the X axis.

My motor is a small 500w brushless ER16 spindle and I need a better mount for it. Anyone have suggestions for good threads on spindle mounts that be easily trammed?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was able to get the X working. I have a temporary bed which is .25" steel plate and fairly flat.

how do you rotate images in this forum?

work with what you got build-20180822_203252-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work with what you got build-20180822_203252-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rotate the images in your computer before you send them to cnczone.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

crappy motor mount but all axis are ready for electronicals.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome! Will follow your build thread for sure.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks pretty heavy , are your motors strong enough ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it is working at around 75mm/s/s (right units for grbl?) accel and 2500mm/m. X can go a lot faster but the X is much lighter than the Y/Z carriage which is about 40-50lbs. I'm running DRV8825's at around 2A. Motors can do 4A and I have some TB6600 clones I plan to test out. First cuts were square with axis and a bit not square on diagonals. I tried to use an indicator to calibrate the steps per rotation and got a decent amount of variance. Could be the indicator it is new and I have not used it much. Need to check with a dial test indicator. No visible steps on edges and no chatter from the spindle yet. I"m doubling the speed and doing another run to see how far I can push a little 4mm straight flute cutter in MDF making some drawer sides.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I learned that it takes about 2 minutes to run DRV8825's without cooling > 2A before they hit thermal shutdown!

The machine easily cut 1750mm/m with 2.5mm DOC with 4mm 2 flute (straight) in 9-11 ply .7" plywood. cuts came out very clean.

Drawers are ready for assembly and I may make a few more so I plan to keep pushing the little spindle on the next batch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like what and how you are doing it.
    To avoid overheating, turn down the amps (if you can) or switch to the TB6600 drivers.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i had a wire stuck in my fan. I have a little 12v squirrel cage fan running on +5v and running silent (which is why i didn't notice it was stuck). Keeps the drivers under 35C mostly.

I made a part for my manual milling machine today. Some success and some failure. I'll post a video. I think my spindle bearings may be crapping out or I may need a bigger spindle for this machine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast