work with what you got build - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: work with what you got build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: work with what you got build

Here is the new spindle mounted. I was a bit concerned that it sounded like a cat in a garbage disposal on the first 3 passes. I had checked the runout with an indicator good for .002 mm and it looked like about 0.001mm runout. Turned out the spindle was running backwards. Doh! I flipped it to rev (actually running forward) and it worked ok for a few passes. I'm going to get the z limit hooked back up, install the rest of the clamp screws, tram it and video some test cuts.

The mount is 0.25" steel plate with the surface which mate to the 20mm linear rails machined. The other side was really quite flat so I didn't bother face milling it. The cheap spindle clamp is friction clamped via 2 30mm aluminum blocks with M5 screws spaced at 30mm and tapped into the steel plate. I hope this makes tramming it and adjusting the height a bit easier than drill/tap through the spindle mount flange directly.

work with what you got build-20180924_190206-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work with what you got build-20180924_190206-1-jpg   work with what you got build-20180924_190206-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I swapped a pair of the spindle wires and fixed my running backwards problem. I did a few small gears for a TT motor out of aluminum documented below. Keep in mind i'm only running on a single 20mm rail on the Y axis and 2.5 x .25" aluminum square tube. I'm very happy with the surface finish and the new spindle. My current issues are:

1. VFD is loud! I have it wired to a plug now and I think I need to get a switch setup. Anyone have advice on making the VFD silent?

2. I'm still not sure how to do the table have it waterproof, flat, and keep the weight down. I want a quick and easy way to get the vice installed and or a way to keep it installed. I'm thinking a deck above it for large flat stock.

3. I need to redo the Y Gantry with the 4" steel square tube. I'm scared to mill it. How much can you mill off a square tube before you cause issues with the tension? I had tried a 1.5mm cut previously and it bowed about 5mm.

4. I need to make an enclosure once I make the frame attachments permanent.

5. The DRV8825's and GRBL board are doing very well. Long term I'd like to make a pcb for g2core and run a 32bit processor but it works pretty well and if it ain't broke!? Anyone have ideas on how worth the effort g2core is? On a side note I"m running klipper firmware on my 3d printer and wow does it make it go fast. I wonder if the klipper approach would also help cnc machines with 8 bit processors?

6. The vise I have on there is garbage. Once I get the table figured out I need to relegate that POS to the drill press.

7. I'm a bit concerned about my compressor's ability to keep up. I also bought a solenoid to control the air and I was thinking of a 50% duty cycle of fast air pufs vs a steady stream of air. Has anyone tried this approach?

Downloads
    Uploads

Dust Collection!work with what you got build-20180926_190530-jpg

that color is loud huh?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work with what you got build-20180926_190530-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

first dust shoe had an issue, this one is working well.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3124279

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, i've been limping along with my machine for a while and I have not had large enough blocks of time available to make improvements, however it works and so I trying to not "improve" it into a non working state so I can get actual work out of it instead of putting all the work into it....

I did discover that it mills cast iron surprisingly well and much better than aluminum. Is this normal? I slotted for about 3 hours on a single 2mm carbide end mill running 10k rpm on the spindle. 220mm/m and .5mm doc without seeming to dull the bit or have any issue. The machine does not seem to cut aluminum as well. No air on the chips and no dust collection. What gives?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jschoch View Post
    Ok, i've been limping along with my machine for a while and I have not had large enough blocks of time available to make improvements, however it works and so I trying to not "improve" it into a non working state so I can get actual work out of it instead of putting all the work into it....

I did discover that it mills cast iron surprisingly well and much better than aluminum. Is this normal? I slotted for about 3 hours on a single 2mm carbide end mill running 10k rpm on the spindle. 220mm/m and .5mm doc without seeming to dull the bit or have any issue. The machine does not seem to cut aluminum as well. No air on the chips and no dust collection. What gives?
    Cast iron is a very interesting material to machine. The high graphite content means that it can be machined dry no problem. The really bad problem is that its chips are extremely abrasive. Some machinist will refuse to machineit on their good mills for fear of the damage it will cause the machine. Aluminum on the other hand can be a real ***** in the sense that it loads up tools.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12