Resources for new DIY CNC router build

Thread: Resources for new DIY CNC router build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Resources for new DIY CNC router build

First time poster so please excuse me if I am not following any established protocol.
    I had purchased plans to build a 10x9 cnc router from solsylva.com ..in April 2018.
    I just started the process of buying materials to build and have noticed that the website ( solsylva.com ) is down. It has been down since July 20th.
    Does anyone know if the contents / FAQ's/ information repository moved to another location / website ?
    Thanks,

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Resources for new DIY CNC router build

solsylva.com is apparently still down. I'm really hoping that the owner is still around.

The Way Back Machine does have some of the site backed up. I'm not sure if it has what you need though.

I would caution though that 10 x 9 is awfully small for a router. It could work well for small printed circuit boards and small objects. If you have any fixturing or clamping to be done, your effective work area could be as little as 8 x 7 inches. IF you have the room consider moving up to a 12 x 12 machine class machine.

The solsylva.com machines are very light weight solutions. As such I'd make sure they meet you needs before going too far.

You might look into the Shapeoko machines. They might do as well as the Solsylva. Really...you could design your own machine with not much more trouble....and it would likely be more rigid than the Shapeoko or Solsylva.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    solsylva.com is apparently still down. I'm really hoping that the owner is still around.

The Way Back Machine does have some of the site backed up. I'm not sure if it has what you need though.

I would caution though that 10 x 9 is awfully small for a router. It could work well for small printed circuit boards and small objects. If you have any fixturing or clamping to be done, your effective work area could be as little as 8 x 7 inches. IF you have the room consider moving up to a 12 x 12 machine class machine.

The solsylva.com machines are very light weight solutions. As such I'd make sure they meet you needs before going too far.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fretman_2 View Post
    You might look into the Shapeoko machines. They might do as well as the Solsylva. Really...you could design your own machine with not much more trouble....and it would likely be more rigid than the Shapeoko or Solsylva.
    Going DIY, with a little help from the forum would certainly lead to a CNC better than either of those. The costs wouldn't be terribly different either. From my perspective though the machine he is looking at, is way to small to bother with unless he has a very focused need, even then I'd build a larger machine.

A 10 x 9" work area is still small with respect to routers but very usable for a number of applications. It is sort of like the Proxxon MICRO Mill MF 70, a well engineered micro mill that is very hard to recommend to anybody unless they have a very specific need. A Taig Mill is a big step above the MF 70 in capacity and I see a 12" square or larger router machine a similar step up in capacity for a router.

I hope the original poster reads through some of the build threads here to get a handle on what solid construction would be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Going DIY, with a little help from the forum would certainly lead to a CNC better than either of those. The costs wouldn't be terribly different either. From my perspective though the machine he is looking at, is way to small to bother with unless he has a very focused need, even then I'd build a larger machine.

A 10 x 9" work area is still small with respect to routers but very usable for a number of applications. It is sort of like the Proxxon MICRO Mill MF 70, a well engineered micro mill that is very hard to recommend to anybody unless they have a very specific need. A Taig Mill is a big step above the MF 70 in capacity and I see a 12" square or larger router machine a similar step up in capacity for a router.

I hope the original poster reads through some of the build threads here to get a handle on what solid construction would be.
    Thanks wizard & fretman_2 for your responses / feedback. The wayback machine archive does have the information I was looking for. I hear you about the size limitation ( 10x9). My primary interest to was to "build" something myself and learn in the process. I focused on the smaller size so that the cost would be lower /it would be easier to build and I would not have an issue finding space to place it in my garage...but I understand that it will have its limitations. I will try to find plans for 12x12 or 18x18 or tweak the ones I have to scale up and explore the build threads on cnczone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by new2cr View Post
    Thanks wizard & fretman_2 for your responses / feedback. The wayback machine archive does have the information I was looking for. I hear you about the size limitation ( 10x9). My primary interest to was to "build" something myself and learn in the process.
    Building the machine is a good learning process but after it is built you are pretty much done unless you have debug work to do on the machine. So there isn't a lot mechanically and electrically to learn after the machine is functional. There is however a lot to learn when it comes to machining, CAD and CAM. At that point you might as well have a machine that performs well to learn on. To put it kindly there isn't a lot of good to say about the low end designs and struggling to get them to work properly is a big distraction when you are trying to learn the basics of CNC machining.

That doesn't mean a huge blow up in machine cost, construction can still be wood and similar low cost materials. You would however implement better linear bearings and lead screws. The idea here is to build a better machine without blowing the budget. A machine that would produce decent parts so that you can learn and not battle to get the machine to run.

Here is a great thread: https://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc-w...rum-posts.html on the use of bamboo plywood to make a router. Bigger than you might want but a great thread any ways. Generally with a machine built out of wood you want to use some sort of manufactures sheet goods for the construction. In Jerry's case, bamboo, but cabinet grade plywood, or even MDF can be used. The idea with the manufactured goods is that you avoid warpage from moisture changes and get better structural qualities. For a small router you may very well get buy with just one sheet of material (maybe less).
    I focused on the smaller size so that the cost would be lower /it would be easier to build and I would not have an issue finding space to place it in my garage...but I understand that it will have its limitations. I will try to find plans for 12x12 or 18x18 or tweak the ones I have to scale up and explore the build threads on cnczone.
    There are a lot of threads on cnczone so that could lead to a lot of reading. As for space that is always an issue and thus you have to d what is right for you. Don't be surprised if you start finding all sorts of uses for the machine after you get it built.